[videoblogging] Blip.TV and multi-format feeds

  • Wil Harris
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
      OK, here's a conundrum for ya:

      I'm about to launch three new video podcasts, and after plenty of
      searching around for a hosting platform / CDN, it seems to me like
      Blip.TV not only has a good rep amongst video bloggers, but also
      offers pretty much everything anyone could require.

      Since the shows are going to be for geeks, I like the fact that Blip
      allows you to upload multiple versions of the same show in different
      formats - eg I can upload a standard .mov, an .m4v designed for iPod,
      a .avi designed for Windows, a divx version, an HD version for
      AppleTV etc. Blip even gives you a direct link to each of these
      files so that you can post the direct viewing/download links on a
      blog, or wherever. By doing this you can maintain one show page with
      all the different versions.

      Here's the thing: as far as I can tell, I can't make individual feeds
      for each of those versions. If I click the RSS button for my show,
      it seems to just show me the original file I uploaded. If I click
      the iTunes version of the feed, it gives me the low-res iPod version
      I uploaded, which is no good if you want to sub on an AppleTV and
      want the HD version.

      Is there any way to make blip generate an RSS feed (compatible with
      iTunes or not) for each individual version of the show? That way,
      readers could subscribe directly to the HD version, the iPod version,
      the Divx version, whatever.

      Or am I off my rocker?

      Cheers chaps,

      Wil
      ChannelFlip.com
    • Bill Cammack
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
        Check out the blip user group:

        billcammack

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Wil Harris <wil@...> wrote:

        > OK, here's a conundrum for ya:
        >
        > I'm about to launch three new video podcasts, and after plenty of
        > searching around for a hosting platform / CDN, it seems to me like
        > Blip.TV not only has a good rep amongst video bloggers, but also
        > offers pretty much everything anyone could require.
        >
        > Since the shows are going to be for geeks, I like the fact that Blip
        > allows you to upload multiple versions of the same show in different
        > formats - eg I can upload a standard .mov, an .m4v designed for iPod,
        > a .avi designed for Windows, a divx version, an HD version for
        > AppleTV etc. Blip even gives you a direct link to each of these
        > files so that you can post the direct viewing/download links on a
        > blog, or wherever. By doing this you can maintain one show page with
        > all the different versions.
        >
        > Here's the thing: as far as I can tell, I can't make individual feeds
        > for each of those versions. If I click the RSS button for my show,
        > it seems to just show me the original file I uploaded. If I click
        > the iTunes version of the feed, it gives me the low-res iPod version
        > I uploaded, which is no good if you want to sub on an AppleTV and
        > want the HD version.
        >
        > Is there any way to make blip generate an RSS feed (compatible with
        > iTunes or not) for each individual version of the show? That way,
        > readers could subscribe directly to the HD version, the iPod version,
        > the Divx version, whatever.
        >
        > Or am I off my rocker?
        >
        > Cheers chaps,
        >
        > Wil
        > ChannelFlip.com

      • Kary Rogers
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
          You can build a feed out of just about anything on blip.

          Maybe these will help:

          Good luck,

          --
          Kary Rogers
          http://karyhead.com

          On Aug 2, 2007, at 9:05 AM, Wil Harris wrote:

          > OK, here's a conundrum for ya:
          >
          > I'm about to launch three new video podcasts, and after plenty of
          > searching around for a hosting platform / CDN, it seems to me like
          > Blip.TV not only has a good rep amongst video bloggers, but also
          > offers pretty much everything anyone could require.
          >
          > Since the shows are going to be for geeks, I like the fact that Blip
          > allows you to upload multiple versions of the same show in different
          > formats - eg I can upload a standard .mov, an .m4v designed for iPod,
          > a .avi designed for Windows, a divx version, an HD version for
          > AppleTV etc. Blip even gives you a direct link to each of these
          > files so that you can post the direct viewing/download links on a
          > blog, or wherever. By doing this you can maintain one show page with
          > all the different versions.
          >
          > Here's the thing: as far as I can tell, I can't make individual feeds
          > for each of those versions. If I click the RSS button for my show,
          > it seems to just show me the original file I uploaded. If I click
          > the iTunes version of the feed, it gives me the low-res iPod version
          > I uploaded, which is no good if you want to sub on an AppleTV and
          > want the HD version.
          >
          > Is there any way to make blip generate an RSS feed (compatible with
          > iTunes or not) for each individual version of the show? That way,
          > readers could subscribe directly to the HD version, the iPod version,
          > the Divx version, whatever.
          >
          > Or am I off my rocker?
          >
          > Cheers chaps,
          >
          > Wil
          > ChannelFlip.com

        • Wil Harris
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
            You guys rock!!

            Wil.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2007
              > Is there any way to make blip generate an RSS feed (compatible with
              > iTunes or not) for each individual version of the show? That way,
              > readers could subscribe directly to the HD version, the iPod version,
              > the Divx version, whatever.
              > Or am I off my rocker?

              just use vPIP which was created by Enric.
              http://vpip.org/

              its especially great for Wordpress.
              he just updated it for showinabox.tv that now automatically generates
              all the different RSS feeds you want. Its pretty awesome.

              Here I am....
              http://jaydedman.com
              917 371 6790

              Check out http://ryanishungry.com
              Two videos a week documenting the Green movement in all its different forms.
            • John Coffey
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2007
                Jen Simmons just hooked vPIP up on my Wordpress site
                and I love it! Thankyou Enric!
                jchtv dot com

                Jimmy CraicHead TVVideo Podcast about Sailing, Travel, Craic and Cocktails www.jchtv.com