[videoblogging] Re: Hardball legal tactics. Was: The History of What My Dog Can't Hear

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
      around the 1/8/07 Steve Watkins mentioned about [videoblogging] Re:
      Hardball legal tactics. Was: The Histor that:
      >I dont think its a new law though is it, just another wave of 'make an
      >example of them to get others to comply, throw the book at them' type
      >stuff?

      you're right, old law. as discussed here recently, in Australia this
      been the norm for years. Small annual licence fee, the money is
      redistributed as royalties to the artists (they do audits of what is
      played and bought).

      >Added together these sorts of extra costs can make it hard for the
      >smaller venues to survive, if they arent too profitable to start with.
      >But its something Im sure most businesses are used to paying, I think
      >in the UK that most companies accept they have to pay such things, or
      >they try to avoid it until they are first approached, and then they
      >cough up the moolah rather than having to suffer any further hassle.

      here the cost for clubs has just gone up substantially which they're
      all upset about, on the other hand if I sell a recording to an
      individual for an individual cost and it gets played to a *paying*
      audience in a club of 1000, it seems pretty reasonable that the
      artist gets a return...

      >I dont expect anybody that makes a stand in the courts to win, as I
      >think the laws are pretty well established regarding public
      >performance rights, but maybe Im wrong.
      >
      >Like when I was a kid, when they played videos at school the
      >smallprint always mentioned that the video was not licensed for
      >display at public events, in schools etc. I always wondered if the
      >schools paid a blanket fee, or some higher authority covered it on
      >their behalf, or whether they were being naughty and ignoring such things.

      it is normal practice to buy a different licence for edu use. eg a
      film that i can buy for $30 over the counter for home use might be
      $300 but I can then show it to a lecture theatre full of students.
      same logic as for the music. also why technically you can only
      photocopy x% of a book to make available to students.

      we can complain about it, or we can make work that is not subject to
      these forms of copyright if we wish. :-)
      --
      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
        In a different thread Adam Quirk said:

        "I have a special place in my heart for those who want to push
        anything farther than most. Creativity, freedom, even obscenity (for
        fuck's sake). One of the biggest misses in videoblogging is the lack
        of people pushing limits, and I don't exclude myself."

        Yes I ponder that a lot all the time. I wanted to do risky stuff but I
        struggle because I am a chickenshit, get paranoid, intimidate myself lol.

        I have commented not so long ago that a lot of edgy stuff Ive seen in
        my life has been on UK television.

        But Ive got a few examples of stuff I think is edgy on the net that I
        wasnt aware of till recently:

        Better Bad News (god knows why I only just saw this amazing stuff)

        Pat Condell on Youtube (attacking religions with comic truth, whoa)

        I dont know if its harder to stumble over the edge these days, maybe I
        am looking for the wrong edge. Would Lenny Bruce and Bill Hicks have
        been edgy if they were of the vlogging era? Is it harder to be edgy on
        the net?

        Are conspiracy theory talking heads edgy?

        Oh I just dont know, so much of this is about cultural taboo's, we
        have seen that comments about Thailands king are definately edgy if
        you are vlogging such things in Thailand where he is revered and there
        still seem to be widespread belief in that sort of deference and respect.

        I suppose a reason to expect more edgy stuff on the net, is that such
        things may not traditionalyl get on TV due to financial and legal
        risks. So maybe youd expect a floodtide of such stuff on the net
        because it doesnt currently suffer those barriers much.

        Also I guess its about audience, Janet Jacksons nipple can cause a
        storm if it slips out to the masses at a certain time of day,
        meanwhile look at whats available on the net.

        Cheers

        Steve Elbows
      • Bill Cammack
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...> wrote:

          > But Ive got a few examples of stuff I think is edgy on the net that I
          > wasnt aware of till recently:
          >
          > Better Bad News (god knows why I only just saw this amazing stuff)
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Steve Elbows

          Yeah... I've TRIED not to laugh at "Better Bad News"
          <http://betterbadnews.blip.tv/>, but I haven't seen an episode of it
          yet where I haven't gotten at least two decent laughs out of it.
          There's obviously a lot of writing work ?improv work? that goes into
          that show.

          --
          billcammack
          http://reelsolid.tv