Blip.tv terms of service, new features & learning centre

  • Steve Watkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 3:39 PM
      I was just reading the blip.tv blog and noticed that they've updated
      various features, and also had a post about changing their terms of
      service.

      http://blog.blip.tv/blog/

      So I was a wondering what people thought of the new features and/or
      terms of service. I havent been a blip user or paying enough attention
      to know exactly what has changed, nor read the new terms & conditions
      properly. But I did notice this bit in their draft of new terms:

      "COMMERCIAL AGGREGATION

      Blip.tv is designed to be technically compatible with the universe of
      third-party aggregation software to the greatest extent possible, and
      we are committed to building an open platform. Unless otherwise
      stated, however, you may not distribute, transmit, broadcast,
      commercially exploit or modify in any way the sites' material or
      content or permit or assist any third party in doing the same. You
      may not aggregate, embed or "deep-link" content on Blip.tv from your
      own Web site, service or platform for commercial purposes in a
      systematic way without the prior written consent of Blip.tv. You must
      at all times respect the copyright licenses attached to Blip.tv
      content (i.e. Creative Commons licenses) while aggregating, embedding
      or deep-linking Blip.tv content."

      I like that!

      Also I was looking at the blip learning centre and all those videos
      from Pixelodeon of people giving tips for people who may just be
      starting to vlog - great stuff! Inspiring! Useful, positive stuff,
      well done to all concerned. And oops, plenty of advice that people
      should just get on with it and try, advice I have failed to heed over
      the years, at my peril. Those people are right, dont end up like me,
      just do it!

      http://learningcenter.blip.tv/

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows
    • Steve Watkins
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 3:44 PM
        Actually having re-read it a few time I wonder if that clause may be
        going to far, I dunno, I guess it depends if there are many 'otherwise
        stated' exceptions. Oh, I am not a lawyer, I guess parts of that
        clause are a legal solution to some of the abusive ripoff leeching
        we've seen some sites do to blip content, but does it seem to also
        prevent some legitimate uses unless consent is sought? I like the big
        about creative commons.

        Cheers

        Steve Elbows

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...>