mp4 editing

  • heytobey
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 1:39 PM
      I just purchased an xacti e1 camera. I noticed that used the mp4
      h.264 codec.

      Am I still going to be able to use sony vegas movie studio to edit my
      videos or will I have to learn to use a new program? I know that
      movie studio will allow me to import the video but when I render the
      video out...isn't that causing a double compression.

      I guess I'm just confused because I usually use mini-dv tapes, save my
      videos as .avi files and then convert to mp4 or flash.

      Thanks for the help,
      Tobey
    • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 2:24 PM
        It's the same as taking a iPod MP4 file and importing it into Vegas. You
        can edit it directly in Vegas or convert it to DV AVI first.

        Yes, you get twice the compression. That is a disadvantage from any
        flash media or straight-to-DVD camcorder. This is why I still use DV
        tape.

        I do a lot of green-screen work, so compression at the source is a
        bad-bad-bad thing. Dragon*ConTV spots run on a big screen as well as web
        download, so I try to keep high quality originaks.

        For some applications, the compressed-at-the-camera footage is fine. For
        others, it's not really acceptable.

        --
        Brian Richardson
        - http://siliconchef.com