Treehugger aquired by Discovery for $10 million

  • Steve Watkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
      I know they are a very popular site and are about blog & forum as much
      as their treehugger.tv, but I thought Id post about it here anyway,
      after just seeing the news on Techcrunch:

      http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/08/01/discovery-acquires-treehuggercom-for-10million/

      I guess this sort of thing makes sense when the site is popular enough
      and it ties in with Discovery's plans to launch a 24 hour
      'eco-lifestyle' channel.

      I dont think I'll ever make anything that sells for $10 million. I
      have an environment/sustainability-related plan but it will not be the
      happy bouncey positive green that there will likely be a lot of $
      spent on in the years to come ;)

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows
    • Frank Sinton
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
        It is highly relevant. I doubt they would have been purchased for such high
        a price w/out the videoblog TreehuggerTV as part of their "total content
        package". Video content is extremely important to traditional media
        companies, as much of their ad inventory is video-based. It is a logical
        extension, at least to them, of their TV business.

        I'm sure I will be pinged a few times (as maybe Mike from Blip will be too
        and several other people on this list) by a few people asking who the next
        Treehugger will be. Amazing. I usually just tell them to just join Mefeedia
        and start discovering for themselves! :-)

        -Frank

        Frank Sinton

        CEO

        frank@...

        http://mefeedia.com/user/franks/

        http://mefeedia.com - Discover, Collect, and Share video blogs

        _____

        I know they are a very popular site and are about blog & forum as much
        as their treehugger.tv, but I thought Id post about it here anyway,
        after just seeing the news on Techcrunch:

        http://www.techcrun
        <http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/08/01/discovery-acquires-treehuggercom-for-1
        0million/> ch.com/2007/08/01/discovery-acquires-treehuggercom-for-10million/