Re: [videoblogging] Youtube Group to complement this one

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 7:39 AM
      Well, we've increased the size of the group two and a half times
      overnight.

      You're mostly right about the discussion part of the group. But
      that's not the strength or point of having the Group on Youtube.

      And the Posting Videos part of it can be used for good or spam. But
      that's not the point of it either.

      The real strength of the Youtube group is as a place to find other
      videobloggers on Youtube. It's such a fragmented experience, looking
      at individual videos or shows, and so outsiders often get the sense
      that Youtube lacks the community & conversation that we have here, &
      on our own blogs, on Twitter, etc

      What I like about the group is that you can now go to
      http://youtube.com/group/videoblogging
      and just click the Members link to see all the Members.
      Then you can quickly surf the list and connect with the people you want.

      Here's how it was before: Last night, I had to trawl through about 50
      people's profiles to find people I knew. Each had just a few people
      - different people - from the videoblogging community. There wasn't
      the massively overlapping friend networks that you'll find on
      Facebook or Twitter. So I Friended and Subscribed to as many people
      as I could find and sent invitations to join the group to all of
      them... and then even more people that I hadn't found joined and
      friended me.

      So we're getting lots of people in one place on YouTube, which will
      help to make it a richer experience, I think. I'd like to think that
      this will help me find all sorts of new people (it has already,
      actually) and introduce them to people I know from outside Youtube
      and vice versa. That'd be really cool.

      Rupert
      http://twittervlog.tv

      On 31 Jul 2007, at 23:28, Mike Meiser wrote:

      Well, I've joined, but I'm not toltally sure that group isn't just spam.

      I'm all for having more excuses to play with youtube, but honestly, I
      think sull is write. Youtube groups, or any group without email based
      discussion for that matter is just freaking pointless. Flickr groups
      are about as sucessful as a group can get with out email... and quite
      frankly they suck. Particularly a a forum for discussion... which are
      always almost nonexistent.

      But... if you post videos there, and chat there, I'll be sure to
      friend you... and subscribe... and check your posts... when I remember
      to actually go back and visit it that is... once every couple new
      moons.

      -Mike
      mmeiser.com/blog
      mefeedia.com

    • Mike Meiser
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 12:19 PM
        So basic social networking like on twitter and facebook.
        Just the ability to see who everyone is. The other faces in the crowd.

        Simple enough... consider it done. We've got a critical mass on there
        already.

        We just need to bug people to join.

        So... let's start putting the urls in our sig.

        That should do the trick. :)

        -Mike

        On 8/1/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > work &
        > > > home life, but I'm still as committed to exploring it more.
        > > >
        > > > As I just wrote in an email to someone else, I do think it's a bit
        > > > mad that so many of us are not on Youtube more, given the much
        > larger
        > > > number of people passing through there than through any other site.
        > > > Youtube has 50%+ share of all online video, but amazingly the
        > > > mefeedia figures show it has less videoblogs than other sites.
        > > >
        > > > I understand that a few people will not want to deal with youtube's
        > > > TOS, their interface or their picture quality, but for a lot of us
        > > > who want to connect with other people and evangelize this stuff a
        > > > little, it surely makes more sense to spend some time hanging
        > out on
        > > > the main drag as well as behind the bike shed.
        > > >
        > > > What do you reckon? Who would want to join?

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2 10:14 AM
          We have over 50 members now. Hurray!

          Go to
          http://youtube.com/group/videoblogging
          and click Join Group.

          Then you can find everybody's Youtube profiles easily, by clicking
          the Members link.

          Click on people you know and Add them as Friends, don't just Subscribe.

          Let's get everybody easy to find, all in one place.

          OK, last time I'm going to write about this before I go away for a
          month.

          Rupert

          On 1 Aug 2007, at 20:19, Mike Meiser wrote:

          So basic social networking like on twitter and facebook.
          Just the ability to see who everyone is. The other faces in the crowd.

          Simple enough... consider it done. We've got a critical mass on there
          already.

          We just need to bug people to join.

          So... let's start putting the urls in our sig.

          That should do the trick. :)

          -Mike

        • Michael Sullivan
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2 11:36 AM