Vlog Europe Update!!!!

  • Jeffrey Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      So we're exactly one month away from this year's vlog Europe in Heidelburg,
      Germany on 1 and 2 September.

      Here's what we want you to know:

      1) You can check out up-to-the-minute details at http://vlogeurope.com and
      the wiki at http://www.vlogeurope.com/vlogeurope-07/wiki/

      2) We've created a Facebook Group at http://tinyurl.com/3d9hgc Anyone can
      join, even if you don't plan on going but are interested in seeing what's
      happening.

      3) Joel has secured a venue, and we're in the process of setting the
      schedule and sessions. Check the wiki/Facebook Group and you'll see what's
      happening.

      4) We know Podcamp UK is the same weekend, and we're in conversation with
      the nice folks with Podcamp to see if we can do a joint session via
      videolink.

      5) If you know you're going to attend, please make sure you let us know on
      the Wiki. If you are a maybe or are having issues with getting there/finding
      a place to stay, let us know and we'll see how we can assist you.

      6) You can always mail me with questions at thejeffreytaylor@... or
      leave a message on the Facebook group. Or you can ask questions here and
      Raymond, Joel or I will get back to you.

    • Raymond M. Kristiansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hey all,

        Short version:

        Yes, VlogEurope 07 is on! September 1st-2nd, Heidelberg, Germany.
        News and related discussions
        Blog-style: www.vlogeurope.com
        Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/3d9hgc
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/vlogeurope

        Sign up!: http://vlogeurope.com/wiki/index.php?title=2007_Participants

        Long version:

        Gosh, it has been a long time since I followed the conversations over here
        at the yahoogroups!

        Yes, VlogEurope is a go - in 1 month from now! If you attended VlogEurope 05
        in Amsterdam or 06 in Milan, you know what to expect. An intimate
        atmosphere, lots of discussions in the corridor, or the cityscape, or the
        nature, some good eating, and overall a setting that is a bit less about the
        hype and a bit more about the discussions, the questions, the interaction
        with other videobloggers.

        When I think back at videoblogging since it has developed when I first
        started doing this - it is an amazing thing. Back then, bandwidth was our
        biggest worry. I remember Ryanne Hodson or Michael Verdi talking about their
        bandwidth issues. Then, Ourmedia came around, and then blip.tv and youtube
        and later a zillion other networks and services catering to our use. The
        scene has changed, but some of the questions still remain.

        I remember one of the topics at VlogEurope 05 in wonderful Amsterdam was
        "long-term vlogging". How do we manage to do this in a long-term manner? How
        do we make sure that our children and grand-children have access to this
        media? Still, it seems like the internet archive is one of the safest bets -
        at least they DO promise you that they will keep your media forever (even if
        that is not possible beyond a certain timeframe).

        This year's VlogEurope is, like the others, mainly a meet-up of
        videobloggers. We might have a stage, and some presentations, and sponsors
        who help us with covering the costs of the event - but in the end, it is
        still about the VlogEurope atmosphere - the discussions, the meeting with
        old and new fellow vloggers, the probing into questions that mean something
        to you and the others.

        VlogEurope is, like Jeffrey said, taking place the same weekend as PodCamp
        UK. Of course, that is a shame in one sense - that means that less UK people
        will be present at VlogEurope in Heidelberg. But on the other hand, it could
        be a very interesting opportunity to work with space; physical space and
        virtual space - as arenas for discussions. What questions are being probed
        at PodCamp UK that might interest the people at VlogEurope? How does this
        relate to other conferences taking place - maybe that weekend, or at other
        times? How do we keep track of all the discussions? How do we Further them?

        VlogEurope came into being from discussions centered around the european
        flashmeetings in 05, where we realized that - heck! we want to meet!. I want
        to keep faithful to that basic premise: Meeting other videobloggers from
        Europe and beyond.

        This year's VlogEurope has been a lot less advertised than for instance last
        year's event in Milan, which was wonderfully hosted and organized. Some have
        asked: Is VlogEurope happening? Of course it is! September 1st-2nd,
        Heidelberg, Germany. Be there! :) We are currently negotiating with a few
        companies to try to get the expenses covered so that you don't have to pay
        for attending the event as a videoblogger.

        Having been very inactive in the vlogosphere the last year or so (basically,
        since The PAN imploded), I have looked at the scene / market with a mixture
        of dread and hints of that old old enthusiasm (an example of the enthusiasm
        is expressed here: http://www.dltq.org/v1/?p=64 ).

        Today, YouTube and CNN partner together. There are similar attempts at
        bridging the gap between the online audience and real-life politics taking
        place all around the world. (One of the interesting projects I follow is
        "WebCameron": http://webcameron.co.uk/ ). A question to me is: What IS
        happening around Europe? What is happening in Portugal, or Poland, or
        Bosnia-Herzegovina, or Finland? How is videoblogging working to integrate
        the European community (within and outside the EU), or link the local with
        the global? How do language barriers create sub-cultures that are invisible
        to each other? For instance, in Norway there is a pretty large community of
        people who publish videos at www.snutter.no - here is a video I just found
        of a local politician running at the upcoming local elections:
        http://snutter.no/app/viewMovie.action?id=7946
        This video is locked in within the snutter.no community. Is this good
        practice?

        How aware are we of what is happening in other countries? Are we perhaps too
        busy exploring our own web2.0y circle of friends or acquintances?
        http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/ is a great resource - where are the
        others? How good are we at pointing at new sources?

        Ok, that was a big sidetrack - my point was to show that VlogEurope is not
        just an isolated event, but is part of an ongoing discussion. I look forward
        to seeing many european videobloggers at VlogEurope (sign up here:
        http://vlogeurope.com/wiki/index.php?title=2007_Participants ), and I also
        hope to see videobloggers from other continents. Last year, we had a good
        deal of Americans coming over, and I hope you enjoyed your Milan experience!

        This year VlogEurope takes place in Heidelberg. In case you do not know much
        about this great German city, I can give a few links:
        Heidelberg timelapse movie: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vONI05rkSjs
        A tour guide video of Heidelberg: http://www.blip.tv/file/194642/
        Heidelberg @ Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg

        Aske Dam, who was one of the speakers at last year's VlogEurope, will give
        one of the presentations this year as well. Aske is well versed with video -
        in fact, he was one of the pioneers of interactive television, and he gives
        decades of experience to the conference.

        More information about VlogEurope and discussion about the state of the
        European Vlogosphere will be available at www.vlogeurope.com over the coming
        days and weeks. Whether you will make it to the event or not, you are also
        welcome to join our Facebook group ( http://tinyurl.com/3d9hgc) or follow us
        at twitter: http://twitter.com/vlogeurope

        Best,

        Raymond M. Kristiansen
        Copenhagen, Denmark
        personal vlog/blog: www.dltq.org
        www.vlogeurope.com

        On 8/1/07, Jeffrey Taylor <thejeffreytaylor@...> wrote:

        > So we're exactly one month away from this year's vlog Europe in
        > Heidelburg,
        > Germany on 1 and 2 September.
        >
        > Here's what we want you to know:
        >
        > 1) You can check out up-to-the-minute details at http://vlogeurope.com and
        > the wiki at http://www.vlogeurope.com/vlogeurope-07/wiki/
        >
        > 2) We've created a Facebook Group at http://tinyurl.com/3d9hgc Anyone can
        > join, even if you don't plan on going but are interested in seeing what's
        > happening.
        >
        > 3) Joel has secured a venue, and we're in the process of setting the
        > schedule and sessions. Check the wiki/Facebook Group and you'll see what's
        > happening.
        >
        > 4) We know Podcamp UK is the same weekend, and we're in conversation with
        > the nice folks with Podcamp to see if we can do a joint session via
        > videolink.
        >
        > 5) If you know you're going to attend, please make sure you let us know on
        > the Wiki. If you are a maybe or are having issues with getting
        > there/finding
        > a place to stay, let us know and we'll see how we can assist you.
        >
        > 6) You can always mail me with questions at thejeffreytaylor@...<thejeffreytaylor%40gmail.com>or
        > leave a message on the Facebook group. Or you can ask questions here and
        > Raymond, Joel or I will get back to you.

      • Gökçen Karan
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
          Hi everyone;

          I'm happy to you introduce to our new video content project;

          http://www.gomedia.tv

          I guess it's will be first personal tv station portal working with
          Mogulus. It's in beta now, we have only 2 channels yet. It's only 2 days
          old :-)

          We are using Mogulus live broadcast infrastructure. GoMedia.Tv is
          currently only Turkish but we are working on English version, I guess we
          opening English version next week. New channels will be join us 1-2
          weeks later. If you have any Mogulus Channel and send to me your channel
          name and I will opening your GoMedia Channel. Our goal is GoMedia.Tv is
          will be most known Mogulus Channels Portal. We are give countenance to
          citizen vlogging and encourage to our visitors making they are own
          channel and making different and ethnic contents. Specially in Turkey we
          need it for a grow up for our democracy. Finally I think it's beyond of
          offline videos.

          And users easily add their own videos to our "On Air Tubes" channel
          (Channel no:4) . Here's the way;

          1. Create an account on www.youtube.com or login your existing one.
          2. Click http://www.youtube.com/group/gomediatv and join "GoMediaTV"
          Youtube Group.
          3. Click http://www.youtube.com/groups_addvideos?name=gomediatv and add
          your videos to "GoMediaTV" Youtube group.
          4. We add one day later all videos to our "On Air Tubes" channel. It's
          easy!..

          Thanks

          -Gokcen Karan
          http://www.gokcenkaran.com