Youtube Group to complement this one

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
      So I finally figured out how to search for Youtube Groups. I found a
      couple of dozen groups associated with videoblogging - but none of
      them had more than a few members, and there were no fresh discussions
      or activity.

      Is anybody else here interested in joining a group on Youtube?

      As per the Facebook group discussion last week, I'd want a group to
      complement the Yahoo group rather than duplicate it. It'd be a way
      to share videos and connect with people on Youtube, explore the
      communities and conversations there, even to inspire us to feel it's
      worthwhile posting on Youtube, and to find more viewers.

      If nobody says yes, I won't bother, because the last thing I want to
      do is create another unpopulated dead Group.

      But it could be a great way to build a bridge from this group into
      Youtube, since it's often been remarked that there's so much
      separation between us.

      My 'month of Youtube' has been a little slowed down by hectic work &
      home life, but I'm still as committed to exploring it more.

      As I just wrote in an email to someone else, I do think it's a bit
      mad that so many of us are not on Youtube more, given the much larger
      number of people passing through there than through any other site.
      Youtube has 50%+ share of all online video, but amazingly the
      mefeedia figures show it has less videoblogs than other sites.

      I understand that a few people will not want to deal with youtube's
      TOS, their interface or their picture quality, but for a lot of us
      who want to connect with other people and evangelize this stuff a
      little, it surely makes more sense to spend some time hanging out on
      the main drag as well as behind the bike shed.

      What do you reckon? Who would want to join?

      Rupert
      http://twittervlog.tv/

    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
        I mean, not that we'd even have to create a new group:

        http://youtube.com/group/videoblogging

        is there already.

        Unless you think there's a need to start another I'm going to join up
        there.

        On 31 Jul 2007, at 19:56, Rupert wrote:
[...]

      • Michael Verdi
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
          I'm up for it. Some of my videos have been racking up 10s of views over the
          last few weeks and I haven't "met" anyone yet. Mostly I guess it's a matter
          of spending time figuring out how things work. I couldn't figure out the
          group thing either. I did submit a video to an editing group and it got seen
          a few times.
          - Verdi

          On 7/31/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

          > I mean, not that we'd even have to create a new group:
          >
          > http://youtube.com/group/videoblogging
          >
          > is there already.
          >
          > Unless you think there's a need to start another I'm going to join up
          > there.
          >

          > On 31 Jul 2007, at 19:56, Rupert wrote:
          > So I finally figured out how to search for Youtube Groups. I found a
          > couple of dozen groups associated with videoblogging - but none of
          > them had more than a few members, and there were no fresh discussions
          > or activity.
          >
          > Is anybody else here interested in joining a group on Youtube?
          >
          > As per the Facebook group discussion last week, I'd want a group to
          > complement the Yahoo group rather than duplicate it. It'd be a way
          > to share videos and connect with people on Youtube, explore the
          > communities and conversations there, even to inspire us to feel it's
          > worthwhile posting on Youtube, and to find more viewers.
          >
          > If nobody says yes, I won't bother, because the last thing I want to
          > do is create another unpopulated dead Group.
          >
          > But it could be a great way to build a bridge from this group into
          > Youtube, since it's often been remarked that there's so much
          > separation between us.
          >
          > My 'month of Youtube' has been a little slowed down by hectic work &
          > home life, but I'm still as committed to exploring it more.
          >
          > As I just wrote in an email to someone else, I do think it's a bit
          > mad that so many of us are not on Youtube more, given the much larger
          > number of people passing through there than through any other site.
          > Youtube has 50%+ share of all online video, but amazingly the
          > mefeedia figures show it has less videoblogs than other sites.
          >
          > I understand that a few people will not want to deal with youtube's
          > TOS, their interface or their picture quality, but for a lot of us
          > who want to connect with other people and evangelize this stuff a
          > little, it surely makes more sense to spend some time hanging out on
          > the main drag as well as behind the bike shed.
          >
          > What do you reckon? Who would want to join?
          >
          > Rupert
          > http://twittervlog.tv/

          http://michaelverdi.com
          http://spinxpress.com
          http://freevlog.org
          Author of Secrets Of Videoblogging - http://tinyurl.com/me4vs

        • Michael Verdi
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
            I joined that group -
            http://youtube.com/group/videoblogging and posted a message. Hopefully more
            than just the hot and sweaty workout girl will answer.

            - Verdi

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
              you see? it has hot and sweaty workout girls. it's already like an
              exact mirror of this group.

            • Michael Sullivan
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
                reason why yahoo and google groups are key..... because they are mailing
                lists.
                email, baby!
                i wish more services would provide mailing lists, not just alerts and
                notifications.
                something i can bring into my gmail account and filter and read entire
                threads as a thread.
                key.

                On 7/31/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                > So I finally figured out how to search for Youtube Groups. I found a
                > couple of dozen groups associated with videoblogging - but none of
                > them had more than a few members, and there were no fresh discussions
                > or activity.
                >
                > Is anybody else here interested in joining a group on Youtube?
                >
                > As per the Facebook group discussion last week, I'd want a group to
                > complement the Yahoo group rather than duplicate it. It'd be a way
                > to share videos and connect with people on Youtube, explore the
                > communities and conversations there, even to inspire us to feel it's
                > worthwhile posting on Youtube, and to find more viewers.
                >
                > If nobody says yes, I won't bother, because the last thing I want to
                > do is create another unpopulated dead Group.
                >
                > But it could be a great way to build a bridge from this group into
                > Youtube, since it's often been remarked that there's so much
                > separation between us.
                >
                > My 'month of Youtube' has been a little slowed down by hectic work &
                > home life, but I'm still as committed to exploring it more.
                >
                > As I just wrote in an email to someone else, I do think it's a bit
                > mad that so many of us are not on Youtube more, given the much larger
                > number of people passing through there than through any other site.
                > Youtube has 50%+ share of all online video, but amazingly the
                > mefeedia figures show it has less videoblogs than other sites.
                >
                > I understand that a few people will not want to deal with youtube's
                > TOS, their interface or their picture quality, but for a lot of us
                > who want to connect with other people and evangelize this stuff a
                > little, it surely makes more sense to spend some time hanging out on
                > the main drag as well as behind the bike shed.
                >
                > What do you reckon? Who would want to join?
                >
                > Rupert
                > http://twittervlog.tv/

              • Ed Smith
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
                  Count me in, edd666666@..., I have 11 short vids on youtube and they
                  do a great job of giving me exposure and even selling a book now and then.
                  I only have about 1,600 views, which doesn't put me in the class of vids of
                  17 yr old girls, or pet tricks, but it is not bad. OK, thanks, Ed.

                  On 7/31/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                  > So I finally figured out how to search for Youtube Groups. I found a
                  > couple of dozen groups associated with videoblogging - but none of
                  > them had more than a few members, and there were no fresh discussions
                  > or activity.
                  >
                  > Is anybody else here interested in joining a group on Youtube?
                  >
                  > As per the Facebook group discussion last week, I'd want a group to
                  > complement the Yahoo group rather than duplicate it. It'd be a way
                  > to share videos and connect with people on Youtube, explore the
                  > communities and conversations there, even to inspire us to feel it's
                  > worthwhile posting on Youtube, and to find more viewers.
                  >
                  > If nobody says yes, I won't bother, because the last thing I want to
                  > do is create another unpopulated dead Group.
                  >
                  > But it could be a great way to build a bridge from this group into
                  > Youtube, since it's often been remarked that there's so much
                  > separation between us.
                  >
                  > My 'month of Youtube' has been a little slowed down by hectic work &
                  > home life, but I'm still as committed to exploring it more.
                  >
                  > As I just wrote in an email to someone else, I do think it's a bit
                  > mad that so many of us are not on Youtube more, given the much larger
                  > number of people passing through there than through any other site.
                  > Youtube has 50%+ share of all online video, but amazingly the
                  > mefeedia figures show it has less videoblogs than other sites.
                  >
                  > I understand that a few people will not want to deal with youtube's
                  > TOS, their interface or their picture quality, but for a lot of us
                  > who want to connect with other people and evangelize this stuff a
                  > little, it surely makes more sense to spend some time hanging out on
                  > the main drag as well as behind the bike shed.
                  >
                  > What do you reckon? Who would want to join?
                  >
                  > Rupert
                  > http://twittervlog.tv/

                • Mike Meiser
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
                    Well, I've joined, but I'm not toltally sure that group isn't just spam.

                    I'm all for having more excuses to play with youtube, but honestly, I
                    think sull is write. Youtube groups, or any group without email based
                    discussion for that matter is just freaking pointless. Flickr groups
                    are about as sucessful as a group can get with out email... and quite
                    frankly they suck. Particularly a a forum for discussion... which are
                    always almost nonexistent.

                    But... if you post videos there, and chat there, I'll be sure to
                    friend you... and subscribe... and check your posts... when I remember
                    to actually go back and visit it that is... once every couple new
                    moons.

                    -Mike
                    mmeiser.com/blog
                    mefeedia.com

                    On 7/31/07, Ed Smith <edd666666@...> wrote:
                    > Count me in, edd666666@..., I have 11 short vids on youtube and they
                    > do a great job of giving me exposure and even selling a book now and then.
                    > I only have about 1,600 views, which doesn't put me in the class of vids of
                    > 17 yr old girls, or pet tricks, but it is not bad. OK, thanks, Ed.
                    >
                    > On 7/31/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So I finally figured out how to search for Youtube Groups. I found a
                    > > couple of dozen groups associated with videoblogging - but none of
                    > > them had more than a few members, and there were no fresh discussions
                    > > or activity.
                    > >
                    > > Is anybody else here interested in joining a group on Youtube?
                    > >
                    > > As per the Facebook group discussion last week, I'd want a group to
                    > > complement the Yahoo group rather than duplicate it. It'd be a way
                    > > to share videos and connect with people on Youtube, explore the
                    > > communities and conversations there, even to inspire us to feel it's
                    > > worthwhile posting on Youtube, and to find more viewers.
                    > >
                    > > If nobody says yes, I won't bother, because the last thing I want to
                    > > do is create another unpopulated dead Group.
                    > >
                    > > But it could be a great way to build a bridge from this group into
                    > > Youtube, since it's often been remarked that there's so much
                    > > separation between us.
                    > >
                    > > My 'month of Youtube' has been a little slowed down by hectic work &
                    > > home life, but I'm still as committed to exploring it more.
                    > >
                    > > As I just wrote in an email to someone else, I do think it's a bit
                    > > mad that so many of us are not on Youtube more, given the much larger
                    > > number of people passing through there than through any other site.
                    > > Youtube has 50%+ share of all online video, but amazingly the
                    > > mefeedia figures show it has less videoblogs than other sites.
                    > >
                    > > I understand that a few people will not want to deal with youtube's
                    > > TOS, their interface or their picture quality, but for a lot of us
                    > > who want to connect with other people and evangelize this stuff a
                    > > little, it surely makes more sense to spend some time hanging out on
                    > > the main drag as well as behind the bike shed.
                    > >
                    > > What do you reckon? Who would want to join?
                    > >
                    > > Rupert
                    > > http://twittervlog.tv/

                  • Rupert
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                      Well, we've increased the size of the group two and a half times
                      overnight.

                      You're mostly right about the discussion part of the group. But
                      that's not the strength or point of having the Group on Youtube.

                      And the Posting Videos part of it can be used for good or spam. But
                      that's not the point of it either.

                      The real strength of the Youtube group is as a place to find other
                      videobloggers on Youtube. It's such a fragmented experience, looking
                      at individual videos or shows, and so outsiders often get the sense
                      that Youtube lacks the community & conversation that we have here, &
                      on our own blogs, on Twitter, etc

                      What I like about the group is that you can now go to
                      http://youtube.com/group/videoblogging
                      and just click the Members link to see all the Members.
                      Then you can quickly surf the list and connect with the people you want.

                      Here's how it was before: Last night, I had to trawl through about 50
                      people's profiles to find people I knew. Each had just a few people
                      - different people - from the videoblogging community. There wasn't
                      the massively overlapping friend networks that you'll find on
                      Facebook or Twitter. So I Friended and Subscribed to as many people
                      as I could find and sent invitations to join the group to all of
                      them... and then even more people that I hadn't found joined and
                      friended me.

                      So we're getting lots of people in one place on YouTube, which will
                      help to make it a richer experience, I think. I'd like to think that
                      this will help me find all sorts of new people (it has already,
                      actually) and introduce them to people I know from outside Youtube
                      and vice versa. That'd be really cool.

                      Rupert
                      http://twittervlog.tv

                    • Mike Meiser
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                        So basic social networking like on twitter and facebook.
                        Just the ability to see who everyone is. The other faces in the crowd.

                        Simple enough... consider it done. We've got a critical mass on there
                        already.

                        We just need to bug people to join.

                        So... let's start putting the urls in our sig.

                        That should do the trick. :)

                        -Mike

                        On 8/1/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > work &
                        > > > home life, but I'm still as committed to exploring it more.
                        > > >
                        > > > As I just wrote in an email to someone else, I do think it's a bit
                        > > > mad that so many of us are not on Youtube more, given the much
                        > larger
                        > > > number of people passing through there than through any other site.
                        > > > Youtube has 50%+ share of all online video, but amazingly the
                        > > > mefeedia figures show it has less videoblogs than other sites.
                        > > >
                        > > > I understand that a few people will not want to deal with youtube's
                        > > > TOS, their interface or their picture quality, but for a lot of us
                        > > > who want to connect with other people and evangelize this stuff a
                        > > > little, it surely makes more sense to spend some time hanging
                        > out on
                        > > > the main drag as well as behind the bike shed.
                        > > >
                        > > > What do you reckon? Who would want to join?

                      • Rupert
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2007
                          We have over 50 members now. Hurray!

                          Go to
                          http://youtube.com/group/videoblogging
                          and click Join Group.

                          Then you can find everybody's Youtube profiles easily, by clicking
                          the Members link.

                          Click on people you know and Add them as Friends, don't just Subscribe.

                          Let's get everybody easy to find, all in one place.

                          OK, last time I'm going to write about this before I go away for a
                          month.

                          Rupert

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2, 2007
                            does anyone use a profile service, like http://profil.es/ ?