new ways to distribute your shows

  • eric gunnar rochow
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
      just read this on Shelly Palmer's Media 3.0 site. you can sign up for
      a daily email from him. i find it very useful and concise. thx, eric.

      VIDMETRIX has launched its own multi-site video uploader. The tool
      will allow video publishers to automatically distribute their content
      to seven video-sharing sites: YouTube, MySpace, Metacafe, Google,
      Yahoo, Revver, and Veoh. Tubemogul, which announced a multi-site
      uploader last week, is adding 3 new distribution sites to its service
      today, bringing its total reach to 9 video-sharing sites.

      MY DAMN CHANNEL is a new online video destination launching this
      morning. The site will emphasize professional, episodic content, and
      promises to �disrupt media� by giving content creators artistic
      freedom. The early roster of professionals includes comedian Harry
      Shearer, producer Don Was, actor Paul Reiser, and �Web phenom� Andy
      Milonakis. MDC will syndicate its content across video-sharing sites,
      and collect advertising revenue. The site has signed a distribution
      deal with YouTube.

    • Ed Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
        Hi, do you have a link to MY Damn Channel? Thanks,

        Edward Smith Offer 2 Free life-coaching sessions with an experienced,
        reputable life coach to purchasers of your book or product, at no cost to
        you. A proven way to increase your product sales and offer a $250 value to
        your customers, with no catches. Contact Theresa Smith at 201-568-0019,
        email, tsmith@... or visit http://brightmoment.com/coaching.htm

      • J. Rhett Aultman
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
          What makes these sites a preferable choice to other places offering
          similar features? Places like Veoh have offered these kinds of
          syndication, and Blip.tv also has similar features. Why would I want to
          use these sites over others?

          --
          Rhett.
          http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime

          > just read this on Shelly Palmer's Media 3.0 site. you can sign up for
          > a daily email from him. i find it very useful and concise. thx, eric.
          >

          > VIDMETRIX has launched its own multi-site video uploader. The tool
          > will allow video publishers to automatically distribute their content
          > to seven video-sharing sites: YouTube, MySpace, Metacafe, Google,
          > Yahoo, Revver, and Veoh. Tubemogul, which announced a multi-site
          > uploader last week, is adding 3 new distribution sites to its service
          > today, bringing its total reach to 9 video-sharing sites.
          >

          > MY DAMN CHANNEL is a new online video destination launching this
          > morning. The site will emphasize professional, episodic content, and
          > promises to “disrupt media” by giving content creators artistic
          > freedom. The early roster of professionals includes comedian Harry
          > Shearer, producer Don Was, actor Paul Reiser, and “Web phenom” Andy
          > Milonakis. MDC will syndicate its content across video-sharing sites,
          > and collect advertising revenue. The site has signed a distribution
          > deal with YouTube.

        • Steve Watkins
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
            http://www.mydamnchannel.com/

            There isnt a huge amount of content yet, mostly warm-up trailers, but
            I found it quite watchable so far as its fairly tongue-in-cheek.

            eg:

            http://www.mydamnchannel.com/hotmentalfreedom.aspx (start your way to
            a bright non-compensated career in content generation lol)

            http://www.mydamnchannel.com/channel.aspx?episode=76

            http://www.mydamnchannel.com/channel.aspx?episode=100

            Cheers

            Steve Elbows

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Smith" <edd666666@...> wrote:

            > Hi, do you have a link to MY Damn Channel? Thanks,
            >
            > Edward Smith Offer 2 Free life-coaching sessions with an experienced,
            > reputable life coach to purchasers of your book or product, at no
            cost to
            > you. A proven way to increase your product sales and offer a $250
            value to
            > your customers, with no catches. Contact Theresa Smith at 201-568-0019,
            > email, tsmith@... or visit http://brightmoment.com/coaching.htm

          • Rupert
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
              I'm really excited by the multi-site uploaders. I've been waiting
              for someone to do this properly. It's important for a lot of
              reasons. Most of all because most people haven't got time to spend
              their lives uploading every video to a dozen different sites,
              entering Titles, Descriptions, tags, etc on each one. So you end up
              missing out on all the people who frequent sites you haven't uploaded
              to. I'd far rather spend that time finding other people's videos,
              watching them and connecting.

              To reply to J Rhett Aultman:
              Obviously, it's just the ease of use and range of sites they offer
              that will make them attractive or not. As far as I'm concerned,
              progress is all about automation of all the things that have
              traditionally taken a very long time in making and publishing a
              videoblog.
              Blip has great crossposting options, but doesn't let you upload to
              competitors like youtube - except your myspace blog (not to Myspace
              Video).
              Veoh has a more limited range of sites you can cross-post to than
              those listed by Eric today - and they slap a logo on the front of
              your video. Plus they screwed up all my audio - put it out of sync,
              but Halcyon said a couple of weeks ago that it works well for him.

              Rupert
              http://twittervlog.tv/
              http://feeds.feedburner.com/twittervlog/

              On 31 Jul 2007, at 17:19, J. Rhett Aultman wrote:

              What makes these sites a preferable choice to other places offering
              similar features? Places like Veoh have offered these kinds of
              syndication, and Blip.tv also has similar features. Why would I want to
              use these sites over others?

              --
              Rhett.
              http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime
              http://www.weatherlight.com/greentime

              > just read this on Shelly Palmer's Media 3.0 site. you can sign up for
              > a daily email from him. i find it very useful and concise. thx, eric.
              >

              > VIDMETRIX has launched its own multi-site video uploader. The tool
              > will allow video publishers to automatically distribute their content
              > to seven video-sharing sites: YouTube, MySpace, Metacafe, Google,
              > Yahoo, Revver, and Veoh. Tubemogul, which announced a multi-site
              > uploader last week, is adding 3 new distribution sites to its service
              > today, bringing its total reach to 9 video-sharing sites.
              >

              > MY DAMN CHANNEL is a new online video destination launching this
              > morning. The site will emphasize professional, episodic content, and
              > promises to �disrupt media� by giving content creators artistic
              > freedom. The early roster of professionals includes comedian Harry
              > Shearer, producer Don Was, actor Paul Reiser, and �Web phenom� Andy
              > Milonakis. MDC will syndicate its content across video-sharing sites,
              > and collect advertising revenue. The site has signed a distribution
              > deal with YouTube.

            • Bill Cammack
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                On top of that... Unless there's multi-site REPLACE and DELETE, you're
                going to have to run all over creation to change a video if you find
                out you made a mistake in the one you originally uploaded.

                Plus, enjoy getting out your abacus and tallying your stats from
                multiple sites! hahaha :D

                --
                billcammack

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <wlight@...>
                wrote:

                > What makes these sites a preferable choice to other places offering
                > similar features? Places like Veoh have offered these kinds of
                > syndication, and Blip.tv also has similar features. Why would I want to
                > use these sites over others?
                >
                > --
                > Rhett.
                > http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime
                > http://www.weatherlight.com/greentime
                >
                > > just read this on Shelly Palmer's Media 3.0 site. you can sign up for
                > > a daily email from him. i find it very useful and concise. thx, eric.
                > >

                > > VIDMETRIX has launched its own multi-site video uploader. The tool
                > > will allow video publishers to automatically distribute their content
                > > to seven video-sharing sites: YouTube, MySpace, Metacafe, Google,
                > > Yahoo, Revver, and Veoh. Tubemogul, which announced a multi-site
                > > uploader last week, is adding 3 new distribution sites to its service
                > > today, bringing its total reach to 9 video-sharing sites.
                > >

                > > MY DAMN CHANNEL is a new online video destination launching this
                > > morning. The site will emphasize professional, episodic content, and
                > > promises to "disrupt media" by giving content creators artistic
                > > freedom. The early roster of professionals includes comedian Harry
                > > Shearer, producer Don Was, actor Paul Reiser, and "Web phenom" Andy
                > > Milonakis. MDC will syndicate its content across video-sharing sites,
                > > and collect advertising revenue. The site has signed a distribution
                > > deal with YouTube.

              • Steve Watkins
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                  Actually I think thats Vidmetrix's main feature, they are one of these
                  sites that aggregates stats from various different sites to try to
                  give you amalgamated stats for your vids.

                  Cheers

                  Steve Elbows

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack" <BillCammack@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Plus, enjoy getting out your abacus and tallying your stats from
                  > multiple sites! hahaha :D
                  >
                  > --
                  > billcammack

                • Steve Garfield
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                    I loved the out of sync audio at the end...!

                    On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:

                    > http://www.mydamnchannel.com/hotmentalfreedom.aspx (start your way to
                    > a bright non-compensated career in content generation lol)

                  • Frank Sinton
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                      These multi-site uploaders remind me of the multi-site submit companies
                      (submit your site to over 10,000 search engines!). Never really worked for
                      me...

                      For syndication of video, Media RSS is the solution. Manage once, publish
                      everywhere. It provides ONE place to manage videos, metadata, and all
                      metrics can be consolidated into one place. It provides better control (at
                      least as good as you are going to get nowadays) - if you want a video
                      removed, just remove it from your RSS file. Media RSS is also a great
                      solution to allow people to watch your video in any player they want.

                      Unfortunately, most of these video companies require you to upload your
                      video (and agree to their TOS), so we are still stuck with the "upload your
                      video and agree to my TOS problem" until these sites become more open
                      networks and accept video feeds.

                      Just my 2 cents. :)

                      -Frank

                      Frank Sinton
                      CEO
                      frank@...
                      http://mefeedia.com/user/franks/

                      http://mefeedia.com - Discover, Collect, and Share video blogs

                      I'm really excited by the multi-site uploaders. I've been waiting
                      for someone to do this properly. It's important for a lot of
                      reasons. Most of all because most people haven't got time to spend
                      their lives uploading every video to a dozen different sites,
                      entering Titles, Descriptions, tags, etc on each one. So you end up
                      missing out on all the people who frequent sites you haven't uploaded
                      to. I'd far rather spend that time finding other people's videos,
                      watching them and connecting.

                      To reply to J Rhett Aultman:
                      Obviously, it's just the ease of use and range of sites they offer
                      that will make them attractive or not. As far as I'm concerned,
                      progress is all about automation of all the things that have
                      traditionally taken a very long time in making and publishing a
                      videoblog.
                      Blip has great crossposting options, but doesn't let you upload to
                      competitors like youtube - except your myspace blog (not to Myspace
                      Video).
                      Veoh has a more limited range of sites you can cross-post to than
                      those listed by Eric today - and they slap a logo on the front of
                      your video. Plus they screwed up all my audio - put it out of sync,
                      but Halcyon said a couple of weeks ago that it works well for him.

                      Rupert
                      http://twittervlog.tv/
                      http://feeds.feedburner.com/twittervlog/

                      On 31 Jul 2007, at 17:19, J. Rhett Aultman wrote:

                      What makes these sites a preferable choice to other places offering
                      similar features? Places like Veoh have offered these kinds of
                      syndication, and Blip.tv also has similar features. Why would I want to
                      use these sites over others?

                      --
                      Rhett.
                      http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime
                      http://www.weatherlight.com/greentime

                      > just read this on Shelly Palmer's Media 3.0 site. you can sign up for
                      > a daily email from him. i find it very useful and concise. thx, eric.
                      >

                      > VIDMETRIX has launched its own multi-site video uploader. The tool
                      > will allow video publishers to automatically distribute their content
                      > to seven video-sharing sites: YouTube, MySpace, Metacafe, Google,
                      > Yahoo, Revver, and Veoh. Tubemogul, which announced a multi-site
                      > uploader last week, is adding 3 new distribution sites to its service
                      > today, bringing its total reach to 9 video-sharing sites.
                      >

                      > MY DAMN CHANNEL is a new online video destination launching this
                      > morning. The site will emphasize professional, episodic content, and
                      > promises to "disrupt media" by giving content creators artistic
                      > freedom. The early roster of professionals includes comedian Harry
                      > Shearer, producer Don Was, actor Paul Reiser, and "Web phenom" Andy
                      > Milonakis. MDC will syndicate its content across video-sharing sites,
                      > and collect advertising revenue. The site has signed a distribution
                      > deal with YouTube.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Michael Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                        correct, frank.

                        these services ARE valuable though.

                        it always comes back to the old point some of us have been making forever...
                        which is to look at these video hosting "destination" sites as a way to
                        leverage the audiences that traffic them. when we talked about "why use
                        youtube" the point that always rings true is this.... to tap into the mass
                        viewer base.... but with emphasis on bringing those viewers back to your own
                        site if they enjoy your content and want to subscribe to you/your
                        channel(s). the best way to do this is to definately put out content no
                        matter what the tos are but have your content also hosted on either your own
                        host or with services that respect creative commons and/or just have much
                        better terms for you. as a content producer/distributor, you should
                        strategically spread your media, so long as you put care in not soley
                        depending on the youtubes. ideally, uploading teasers/previews or your own
                        commercials promoting your "shows".... or just personal video messages that
                        involve you in those communities.... and as people get to know you, they
                        will follow you.. wherever your home on the net is.

                        also, if you are making a show, it can help to upload to many services in
                        the beginning. if you get popular, then you wont have to do that as much or
                        at all anymore. that's when you can start having more control. give and
                        take. play it out.

                        for those not interested in promoting shows etc... if you just have
                        something to say and dont care about tos... you just want to get your
                        messages out... then thats another reason why these uploader/tracking
                        services are valuable and time-savers.

                        depends on what you want to achieve through your videos. for some, these
                        services make total sense.

                        however, at any point, these services could be killed off unless proper
                        business relations are made. the youtubes can easily prevent remote/cross
                        uploads and access to tracking data if they feel it is hurting their bottom
                        line or breaking terms of service. typically, an API sets the limits of
                        what can and cannot be done with a service's platform, even if this is not
                        enforced at this time.

                        sull

                        On 7/31/07, Frank Sinton <frank@...> wrote:

                        > These multi-site uploaders remind me of the multi-site submit companies
                        > (submit your site to over 10,000 search engines!). Never really worked for
                        > me...
                        >
                        > For syndication of video, Media RSS is the solution. Manage once, publish
                        > everywhere. It provides ONE place to manage videos, metadata, and all
                        > metrics can be consolidated into one place. It provides better control (at
                        > least as good as you are going to get nowadays) - if you want a video
                        > removed, just remove it from your RSS file. Media RSS is also a great
                        > solution to allow people to watch your video in any player they want.
                        >
                        > Unfortunately, most of these video companies require you to upload your
                        > video (and agree to their TOS), so we are still stuck with the "upload
                        > your
                        > video and agree to my TOS problem" until these sites become more open
                        > networks and accept video feeds.
                        >
                        > Just my 2 cents. :)
                        >
                        > -Frank
                        >
                        > Frank Sinton
                        > CEO
                        > frank@... <frank%40mefeedia.com>
                        > http://mefeedia.com/user/franks/
                        >
                        > http://mefeedia.com - Discover, Collect, and Share video blogs

                      • Mike Meiser
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                          First, I dig that there are these multi-uploader sites. But... as
                          frank said they remind me some of the multi-search engine submit
                          sites. I don't think very highly of them.

                          I think we should talk about how to use these tools and what they're good for.

                          I've been meaning to do a post on risk leveraging ever since I read
                          the Lan Bui/Podtech post.

                          The point is... this. I wouldn't post my entire vlog to youtube.

                          BUT... I would post either select videos, or edited down videos, or
                          lower resolution versions of my videos to other sites. Particularly
                          youtube.

                          The point is... experiment, you don't have to post your whole vlog to youtube.

                          If you're looking for a mass audience... then youtube is a great
                          playground, just don't throw all your eggs into one basket.

                          What I see time and time again is people putting all their faith into
                          one system... i.e. creative commons.... i.e. flickr... i.e. their own
                          vlog.

                          To put it simply:

                          Creative commons is awesome, but if you put a high definition 30fps
                          complete version of a video online... or a 8megapixel version of you
                          photo and think creative commons is going to protect it you're a fool.
                          Reduce risk by leveraging... put it out at 15 fps, put in online at
                          320x240 or even 480... post that photo to flickr at max 1600x1200...
                          why the hell post an 8megapixel version of your photo anyway.

                          For those not using youtube or submitting a video to iCaught, or
                          CurrentTV because they don't like the terms of servvice... I'm sorry,
                          but that's just silly. If you're not just posting your videos for
                          friends... if you are seeking new and more varied audiences and your
                          not experimenting and you're not posting to contests, submission
                          sites, youtubes, and other successful social networks... it's sort of
                          silly.

                          ThePan.org and I assume wreck&salvage experimented with what they
                          called interstitials on youtube. They were short 15 second teasers
                          whith heavy branding. That's one extreme way to do it.

                          Youtube & Ask A Ninja both post to youtube.

                          Using these multi-submit sites is not going to garner you a youtube
                          following, or myspace.... or any of these other sites... it's like
                          spam to some sense. If you want to garner an audience in places like
                          myspace, facebook and youtube you have to participate. But it IS a
                          nice tool for getting you started.

                          So... take your best video, make a lowres 320x240 15fps version of
                          it.... if it's long just take a snippet of it. Watermark the hell
                          out of the mofo with an intro, a watermark in the lower left corner
                          with your brand/url.... and a nice outro with your url, and then
                          cross post away.

                          But be sure to go and fill out your profile, and mark some friends,
                          and find some interesting groups on these sites and get involved in
                          the content to.

                          This is to say... I'm sorry, but if you're looking for mass
                          audience... just because some site's TOS sucks... doesn't mean you
                          should walk completely away from the game. Leverage... maximize your
                          upside, minimize your downside.

                          If you caught this amazing footage of a an airplane wreck ABC or CNN
                          can't going to use your footage on tv no matter what their TOS says if
                          you dangle a low waulity 8 fps version in front of them and a note
                          saying... if you want it in 24 fps I've got it. TOS don't rule the
                          roost, you're ability to control the content rules the roost.

                          Likewise just putting creative commons on your videos, photos and
                          other media isn't going to protect it if you post insanely high
                          quality versions of it around the web.

                          Anyway, it doesn't do the subject justice.

                          I'm just sick of hearing people say we should just stand on the
                          sidelines for every new game that comes along because they don't have
                          perfect TOS.

                          NOBODY has perfect Terms of Service. Get used to it, and learn to
                          play the game by your own rules. It's called "risk leveraging". Just
                          do it.

                          I did a post on risk leveraging regarding famed icelandic Flickr
                          photograper Rebekka Guoleifsdottir who had several $8000 dollars worth
                          of her photos sold on ebay and else where by a UK print seller.

                          "The copyright con game and the new economics of IP"
                          http://mmeiser.com/blog/2007/05/copyright-con-game-and-new-economics-of.html

                          The bottom line is this. I wholy support her bitch slapping the
                          company that sold her photos illegally just like I support Lan Bui in
                          the Podtech issue, but there's a simple truth here... there was NO
                          reason for her to put her 8 megapixal highres versions of her photos
                          up on Flickr. No reason whatsoever. It's just foolish and naive.

                          Now she's gone the COMPLETE opposite end of the spectrum and only has
                          640x480 versions available penalizing all her fans completely
                          needlessly when all she had to do is limit her photos on flickr to a
                          reasonable resolution somewhere between 1024 and 1600 pixels. A
                          little subtle watermarking wouldn't hurt either.

                          For vloggers... it's really really simple. Make your videos 320-640
                          wide... whatever your comfortable with... put your logo/domain name
                          over them in the corner... keep it subtle... put a nice intro and
                          outro on it further pushing your brand.

                          Go ahead and submit it then to every site you can... use video metric.
                          Youtube is for shit... thank god the EFF sued them for needlessly
                          squelching freedom of speach... and Universal for abusive DMCA
                          takedown notices... you're never going to make a decent dime off
                          youtube... but youtube is never going to make your video clips into a
                          movie... or use them in a video commercial for youtube no matter what
                          their TOS are and no matter how good your video is, just as long as
                          you've put your mark all over it.

                          This goes for every single video site and video contest out there. As
                          the creators of the content it doesn't matter what they say you call
                          the shots. You just have to be savy as to leverage your risks.

                          The question you should be asking is...

                          How can I use these tools like youtube like they use me.

                          I don't ultimately know how sucessful thepan.orgs highly experimental
                          15 second interstitials were, but I personally loved them and I see
                          all sorts of opportunities to self promote and guerilla market and
                          find an audience on youtube.

                          Peace,

                          -Mike
                          mmeiser.com/blog
                          mefeedia.com

                        • Roxanne Darling
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                            Great points Frank and Bill. Common sense is not as compelling however
                            as the Frank Sinatra syndrome so many people want to "do it my way."

                            FWIW I think TubeMogul started off primarily to gather stats for you
                            from multiple sites. The video uploading is a newer feature, and
                            naturally, it you start there it is easier for them to generate stats,
                            as well as make some moolah off the aggregated content.

                            Aloha,

                            Rox

                            Roxanne Darling
                            808-384-5554
                            http://www.twitter.com/roxannedarling

                            http://www.beachwalks.tv
                            http://www.barefeetshop.com
                            http://www.barefeetstudios.com
                          • Enric
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                              I found the band interviews (only saw the Slash & Duff McKagan so far)
                              pretty interesting:

                              http://www.mydamnchannel.com/channel.aspx?episode=50

                              -- Enric

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                                I'm not endorsing these sites, and i am loyal to Blip. I just found
                                these bits of news interesting and thought you all might find them
                                interesting as well.

                                what i liked was Frank Sinton's comment, as it occurred to me that i
                                need to look into this service.

                                BTW, would you all consider stripping out quoted text that is not
                                relevant to your post? i read this as an email digest and its a lot
                                to scroll thru to read a few lines of new comments.
                              • Mike Meiser
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                                  FYI,

                                  Participatory Culture, aka. DemocracyTV, aka. Miro has just blogged
                                  about this idea of posting videos to multiple sites... more
                                  specifically why it's such a silly thing that we have to. The whole
                                  walled garden thing needs to die a horrible death. One day, everyone
                                  will be an aggregator.

                                  -Mike