Re: [videoblogging] Re: .mov for ipod?

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
      Somebody will probably tell me why this is bad, but you can just
      rename the file from .m4v to .mov and it works fine. Plays in
      Quicktime, plays on Ipod, and will be picked up as a .mov by your
      Feedburner feed generator. For your purposes, you don't need to mess
      about with converting or resaving as or anything like that.
      Rupert

      On 3 Jul 2007, at 21:53, Josh Leo wrote:

      the reason I want mov's is because my feeds are based off filetype
      ipod is
      separated by mov and mv4 HD is separated by MP4. If i wasnt hosting
      on blip,
      I could specify the videos for each feed by simply using a different
      filename prefix but blip changes both the beginning and end of the file
      name, thus making this impossible. So for now I will have one
      filetype for
      ipods and another for HD

      On 7/3/07, Bill Streeter <bill@...> wrote:

      > My question is why not make them MP4's too, and skip MOV? It's easy
      > to convert MV4's to MP4's just change the file extension. I set
      > compressor up to output ipod comtatible files with the MP4 extension
      > rather than the M4V so they will play back within a browser window
      > without any problems and I don't have to change the file extension
      > manually.
      >
      > Bill Streeter
      > LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
      > www.lofistl.com
      > www.billstreeter.net
      >
      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%
      40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Josh Leo" <joshleo@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have created two feeds for my vlog
      > > an ipod compatible feed of .mov and m4v files
      > > and an HD feed of mp4 files
      > >
      > > I would like to have the ipod compatible files to just be mov's
      > and not
      > > m4v's
      > > does anyone know how to make a large (like the size i have now of
      > 640x360
      > > .mov file that works on the ipod
      > > right now i am just using compressor to make my mv4
      > > i also have visualhub but it doesnt make .mov's
      > >
      > > --
      > > Josh Leo
      > >
      > > www.JoshLeo.com
      > > www.WanderingWestMichigan.com
      > > www.SlowLorisMedia.com

      Josh Leo

      www.JoshLeo.com
      www.WanderingWestMichigan.com
      www.SlowLorisMedia.com

    • Steve Watkins
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2007
        Its bad practice in theory, but in practice it wont cause a problem
        under certain realworld conditions.

        In theory its bad because the structure of a mov is not the same as a
        mp4, therefore its cleaner and safer to create an actual real mov
        using the save-as method, its very quick, obviously not quite as fast
        as renaming an extension.

        It may not cause a problem too often only because the apps that can
        play mov's can often handle mp4's as well, and if they look dont make
        assumptions based on file extension, they'l read the actual contents
        of the fake mov and treat it liek mp4. An app that assumed it was a
        real mov could get confused if it expects to see a mov-like structure
        and gets something slightly different, I dont know if any software
        actually has that problem in reality.

        Devices could be more likely to have that problem, although that leads
        back to the issue someone mentioned about why use mov, why not stick
        to mp4. The main reason to use mov is if you want one of the extras
        mov offers, but the ddownside is that there are quite a range of
        hardware devices and some software that can handle .mp4 but cant
        handle mov. An exception would be the xbox360 which I was surprised to
        see played .mov's ok when they added mp4&h264 support in an update
        earlier this year. But for example my nokia phone can play mp4's but
        not mov's, and the same is probably true of PSP and other devices. So
        that would be the main reason to contuinue to offer a 320x type sized
        mp4 as well as a mov version.

        I do not have figures for how many windows pc's there are out there
        that have software to play .mp4's installed but nothing that can
        handle mov's. There will be some. This may or may not become more of a
        factor in future depending on things like number of itunes users,
        whether safari on windows catches on, how many mp4-supporting apps hit
        the mainstream on windows etc. Right now I dont think its a huge
        issue, and likewise with hardware players, it will only be a small
        minority of viewers who may lose out based on these issues. Whether
        its worth worrying about is clearly up the the individual to decide,
        Ive preached here for a long time about mp4 being a better choice than
        mov but Ive repeated myself so many times that I dont feel the urge to
        do it so much these days.

        Cheers

        Steve Elbows
        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

        > Somebody will probably tell me why this is bad, but you can just
        > rename the file from .m4v to .mov and it works fine. Plays in
        > Quicktime, plays on Ipod, and will be picked up as a .mov by your
        > Feedburner feed generator. For your purposes, you don't need to mess
        > about with converting or resaving as or anything like that.
        > Rupert
        >
        > On 3 Jul 2007, at 21:53, Josh Leo wrote:
        >
        > the reason I want mov's is because my feeds are based off filetype
        > ipod is
        > separated by mov and mv4 HD is separated by MP4. If i wasnt hosting
        > on blip,
        > I could specify the videos for each feed by simply using a different
        > filename prefix but blip changes both the beginning and end of the file
        > name, thus making this impossible. So for now I will have one
        > filetype for
        > ipods and another for HD
        >
        > On 7/3/07, Bill Streeter <bill@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > My question is why not make them MP4's too, and skip MOV? It's easy
        > > to convert MV4's to MP4's just change the file extension. I set
        > > compressor up to output ipod comtatible files with the MP4 extension
        > > rather than the M4V so they will play back within a browser window
        > > without any problems and I don't have to change the file extension
        > > manually.
        > >
        > > Bill Streeter
        > > LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
        > > www.lofistl.com
        > > www.billstreeter.net
        > >
        > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%
        > 40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "Josh Leo" <joshleo@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have created two feeds for my vlog
        > > > an ipod compatible feed of .mov and m4v files
        > > > and an HD feed of mp4 files
        > > >
        > > > I would like to have the ipod compatible files to just be mov's
        > > and not
        > > > m4v's
        > > > does anyone know how to make a large (like the size i have now of
        > > 640x360
        > > > .mov file that works on the ipod
        > > > right now i am just using compressor to make my mv4
        > > > i also have visualhub but it doesnt make .mov's
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > Josh Leo
        > > >
        > > > www.JoshLeo.com
        > > > www.WanderingWestMichigan.com
        > > > www.SlowLorisMedia.com

        > Josh Leo
        >
        > www.JoshLeo.com
        > www.WanderingWestMichigan.com
        > www.SlowLorisMedia.com

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2007
          Thanks for explaining, Steve.

          As I understand it, the only reason Josh can't change the iPod file
          to .mp4 instead of .mov is that is that he's got something
          (Feedburner possibly?) creating 2 feeds automatically - one regular
          size/ipod compatible, one HD. The only way his feed generator can
          recognise which file to put in each feed is by looking at the file
          extension. And he has to use .mp4 for the HD files, so he needs a
          different extension (preferably a nicely recognisable Quicktime .mov
          rather than .mp4) for the regular/ipod files.

          I think that's what he's saying, anyway.

          And even though it's not really a .mov, Quicktime and iPods will play
          an m4v that's been renamed as a .mov - so in practical terms, it
          should work fine for him if he wants to fake a .mov extension.

          Rupert
          http://twittervlog.tv/