RE: [videoblogging] Low volume on Handheld microphone

  • Tom Gosse
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2 2:01 PM
      It sounds like an impedance mismatch. Which is basically what the line vs.
      mic input issue is all about. The fact that you used an adapter also
      makes me think that.

      Questions:

      * Is the impedance marked on the microphone? It should be marked as
      ohms (Ω).
      * What are you plugging it in to? Camcorder?
      * Does the manual for your input device tell you what the mic
      impedance is?

      Older cameras had a high impedance input. This is in the range of 600 -
      1500 Ω. Newer cameras have a microphone impedance of 100 - 600 Ω. If
      you have a mismatch you need to get a transformer to use the microphone.

      Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
      hermit@...
      www.irishhermit.com
      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2 2:10 PM
        Replying to my own post, I just realized that you wrote that you were
        plugging into a mac mic input. Most likely a low impedance input. I
        looked up the TAKY UDM606L on google and found a listing on Craig’s List
        for one. That listing read, “600 Impedance”. If that means 600 Ohms (a
        standard for microphones) that’s your problem. You want a High Z to Low Z
        transformer so that you can use it with a Low Z input. Double check you
        mac manual for info on the input impedance. By the way, Z in a symbol for
        impedance.

        Hope this helps.

        Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
        hermit@...