Re: [videoblogging] Low volume on Handheld microphone

  • randulo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
      On 7/2/07, Jonathan Bloom <jonathan@...> wrote:
      > It's hooked into my mac using the mic input and I've tried turning up the
      > input volume and the gain.
      > The microphone is a TAKY UDM-606L

      Ah, I learned the hard way, if this is a MacBook the input is line
      level, a mic won't drive it. A PC headset won't work on the MacBook
      for example. I don't know if a regular Mac (what model) has a mic
      input. So if that's the case, you'll need a preamp or an amplified
      mic.

      hth

      /r
    • Tom Gosse
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
        It sounds like an impedance mismatch. Which is basically what the line vs.
        mic input issue is all about. The fact that you used an adapter also
        makes me think that.

        Questions:

        * Is the impedance marked on the microphone? It should be marked as
        ohms (Ω).
        * What are you plugging it in to? Camcorder?
        * Does the manual for your input device tell you what the mic
        impedance is?

        Older cameras had a high impedance input. This is in the range of 600 -
        1500 Ω. Newer cameras have a microphone impedance of 100 - 600 Ω. If
        you have a mismatch you need to get a transformer to use the microphone.

        Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
        hermit@...
        www.irishhermit.com
        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
          Replying to my own post, I just realized that you wrote that you were
          plugging into a mac mic input. Most likely a low impedance input. I
          looked up the TAKY UDM606L on google and found a listing on Craig’s List
          for one. That listing read, “600 Impedance”. If that means 600 Ohms (a
          standard for microphones) that’s your problem. You want a High Z to Low Z
          transformer so that you can use it with a Low Z input. Double check you
          mac manual for info on the input impedance. By the way, Z in a symbol for
          impedance.

          Hope this helps.

          Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
          hermit@...