Re: [videoblogging] Low volume on Handheld microphone

  • ryanne hodson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2 12:20 PM
      would it be a line vs mic input issue?
      i know i've had that issue before
      someone hooking in a mic to that jack, but the jack is line which needs a
      more powerful signal...
      or am i totally wrong?
      something like that

      On 7/2/07, Jonathan Bloom <jonathan@...> wrote:

      > It's hooked into my mac using the mic input and I've tried turning up
      > the
      > input volume and the gain.
      > The microphone is a TAKY UDM-606L
      >
      > On 7/1/07, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@... <jannie.jan%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > What did you hook the mic up to that the volume was low?
      > >
      > > What kind of handheld mic (make and model)?
      > >
      > > Jan
      > >

      > > On 7/1/07, Jonathan Bloom <jonathan@...<jonathan%40thenameiwantedwastaken.com>
      > <jonathan%40thenameiwantedwastaken.com>>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I just found one of our old handheld microphones which I went to
      > > > Radioshack
      > > > and got an adapter for to fit into a microphone jack. The only problem
      > > is
      > > > the volume is too low! What can I do to fix this?
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > -Jonathan Bloom
      > > > http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >

      > > --
      > > The Faux Press - better than real
      > > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
      > > http://wburg.tv
      > > http://twitter.com/fauxpress
      > > aim=janofsound
      > > air=862.221.5280
      > > skype=janmclaughlin

      > -Jonathan Bloom
      > http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com

      http://tinyurl.com/yq63qk
      Pixelodeon-Kicked Butt!
      --
      Author of Secrets of Videoblogging ---->http://tinyurl.com/me4vs
      Me ----> http://RyanEdit.com, http://RyanIsHungry.com

    • randulo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2 1:14 PM
        On 7/2/07, Jonathan Bloom <jonathan@...> wrote:
        > It's hooked into my mac using the mic input and I've tried turning up the
        > input volume and the gain.
        > The microphone is a TAKY UDM-606L

        Ah, I learned the hard way, if this is a MacBook the input is line
        level, a mic won't drive it. A PC headset won't work on the MacBook
        for example. I don't know if a regular Mac (what model) has a mic
        input. So if that's the case, you'll need a preamp or an amplified
        mic.

        hth

        /r
      • Tom Gosse
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2 2:01 PM
          It sounds like an impedance mismatch. Which is basically what the line vs.
          mic input issue is all about. The fact that you used an adapter also
          makes me think that.

          Questions:

          * Is the impedance marked on the microphone? It should be marked as
          ohms (Ω).
          * What are you plugging it in to? Camcorder?
          * Does the manual for your input device tell you what the mic
          impedance is?

          Older cameras had a high impedance input. This is in the range of 600 -
          1500 Ω. Newer cameras have a microphone impedance of 100 - 600 Ω. If
          you have a mismatch you need to get a transformer to use the microphone.

          Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
          hermit@...
          www.irishhermit.com
          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2 2:10 PM
            Replying to my own post, I just realized that you wrote that you were
            plugging into a mac mic input. Most likely a low impedance input. I
            looked up the TAKY UDM606L on google and found a listing on Craig’s List
            for one. That listing read, “600 Impedance”. If that means 600 Ohms (a
            standard for microphones) that’s your problem. You want a High Z to Low Z
            transformer so that you can use it with a Low Z input. Double check you
            mac manual for info on the input impedance. By the way, Z in a symbol for
            impedance.

            Hope this helps.

            Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
            hermit@...