Re: The History of What My Dog Can't Hear

  • David Howell
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
      Interesting.

      So, all musicians or bands covering a tune must get permission first
      or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
      something too?

      Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children
      then.

      David
      http://www.davidhowellstudios.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
      <solitude@...> wrote:

      > Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog
      essay.
      > Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need to
      > secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever the
      > procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).
      >
      > Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to
      wade
      > through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.
      >
      > - Andreas
      >
      > Den 02.07.2007 kl. 20:49 skrev David Howell <taoofdavid@...>:
      >
      > > Excellent. Much appreciated.
      > >
      > > I'll care for them and treat them as though they were made of the
      > > finest crystal. Maybe, on a hot summer evening, I might just call one
      > > of them Fred.
      > >
      > > David
      > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
      > >
      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage"
      > > <quirk@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Free as in liberty and the natural state of man, not price. They
      > > actually
      > >> cost $4.30 each.
      > >>
      > >> Them's just jokes. Use em as you see fit. I'd be honored to hear
      them in
      > >> your video, and those songs aren't mine to sell.

      > > I feel.

      > > called The

      > > assist an
      > > pompous and

      > >> --
      > >> Adam Quirk
      > >> Wreck & Salvage
      > >> 551.208.4644
      > >> Brooklyn, NY
      > >> http://wreckandsalvage.com

      > Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

    • missbhavens1969
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
        Well, I was under the impression that musicians/bands covering a tune
        for a recording would certainly need permission on the assumption that
        money would be made from the sale of the album.

        But every band in every live concert I've ever seen has done at least
        one cover (always my favorite part of a show...you can't judge a book by
        it's cover but you CAN judge a band by it's covers) and I can't imagine
        they sought permission first.

        Oh well. There must be some sort of "if you're already famous you can do
        a cover of my famous song" clause.

        In the meanwhile, I'm going to brush up on my piano skills. I've always
        wanted to use "Song for a Future Generation" by the B-52s. Perhaps I'll
        cover that.

        bekah

        ps: David, my fiancee informs me that we no longer say "bastard
        red-headed step children". The more accepted term is "Gingers".

        ; )
        --
        http://www.missbhavens.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@...>

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
          There are standard licensing agreements for this kind of stuff and no
          permission is needed as long as you pay. In the case of music being
          covered by a live band it is to the best of my knowledge the venue who is
          paying the licensing fees (in Denmark, don't know about the US) to the
          appropriate organization.

          - Andreas

          Den 03.07.2007 kl. 15:59 skrev missbhavens1969 <missbhavens1969@...>:

> [...]
          >> or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
          >> something too?
          >>
          >> Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children
          >> then.
          >>
          >> David
          >> http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
          >>
          >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
          >> solitude@ wrote:
          >> >
          >> > Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog
          >> essay.
          >> > Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need
          >> > secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever
          > the
          >> > procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).
          >> >
          >> > Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to
          >> wade
          >> > through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.

            In the US it is assumed the venue has paid their annual licensing fee. My
            understanding is even bars and cafes aren't supposed to have a radio on
            unless they have paid a licensing fee. It is: insane.

            Brook Hinton
            film/video/audio art
            www.brookhinton.com <<vlog links are here
            ______________________________________

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
              That is true in Denmark as well. The prices are very reasonable (I just
              looked them up) and won't hold any establishment back.

              - Andreas

              Den 03.07.2007 kl. 17:16 skrev Brook Hinton <bhinton@...>:

              > In the US it is assumed the venue has paid their annual licensing fee. My
              > understanding is even bars and cafes aren't supposed to have a radio on
              > unless they have paid a licensing fee. It is: insane.

              > Brook Hinton
              > film/video/audio art
              > www.brookhinton.com <<vlog links are here
              > ______________________________________
              >

              > On 7/3/07, Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen <solitude@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> There are standard licensing agreements for this kind of stuff and no
              >> permission is needed as long as you pay. In the case of music being
              >> covered by a live band it is to the best of my knowledge the venue who
              >> is
              >> paying the licensing fees (in Denmark, don't know about the US) to the
              >> appropriate organization.
              >>
              >> - Andreas

              Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                around the 3/7/07 Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen mentioned about Re:
                [videoblogging] Re: The History of What My Dog Can't He that:
                >That is true in Denmark as well. The prices are very reasonable (I just
                >looked them up) and won't hold any establishment back.

                ditto in Australia. the agency responsible also redistributes this
                money to artists on the basis of sales of music and radio station
                playlists.
                --
                cheers
                Adrian Miles
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                  As always I have stories, but this time I'll just provide links and
                  search terms..

                  http://www.ascap.com/licensing/

                  http://www.bmi.com/licensing/?link=navbar

                  http://www.bmi.com/licensing/entry/C1176

                  You should be able to find plenty of info using these search terms:
                  ASCAP and BMI, ASCAP and BMI and VIOLATIONS, ASCAP and BMI and BAR and
                  CLUB.

                  > [videoblogging] Re: The History of What My Dog Can't He that:
                  > >That is true in Denmark as well. The prices are very reasonable (I just
                  > >looked them up) and won't hold any establishment back.
                  >
                  > ditto in Australia. the agency responsible also redistributes this
                  > money to artists on the basis of sales of music and radio station
                  > playlists.
                  > --
                  > cheers
                  > Adrian Miles
                • Adam Jochum
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 4, 2007
                    In a live perfomance, the venue pays for the privilege of allowing the
                    musician to perform copyrighted material via ASCAP and BMI
                    'membership'. If a recording is made, the musician pays for the
                    privilege of distributing the copyrighted material. Some friends of
                    mine in a band who released a live recording are continuously
                    grumbling about the royalties on the 'covers' they played in that show.

                    Adam Jochum
                    cafn8ed.tv

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
                    <missbhavens1969@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
                    > > something too?
                    > >
                    > > Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children
                    > > then.
                    > >
                    > > David
                    > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                    > >
                    > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
                    > > solitude@ wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog
                    > > essay.
                    > > > Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need
                    > > > secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever
                    > the
                    > > > procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).
                    > > >
                    > > > Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to
                    > > wade
                    > > > through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.

                  • Richard (Show) Hall
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Ok, I'm not sure how this has changed since Maureen and I were playing music
                      and recording.

                      Anyway, we recorded one cover song on a CD we made - writer was ASCP or BMI,
                      don't remember which - and the way it worked was that for every CD we sold
                      we were to pay him 9 cents or something like that (this was early 90s).

                      So, if that is the "royalties" you refer to, at least in our case, seemed
                      pretty reasonable.

                      I'm not sure how universal this was or what, but we got the info from the
                      song writer himself and from a lot of other singer song writers we knew at
                      the time, so that was our source for information on what to do - no one
                      official.

                      Now we give away the one CD we recorded for free and all the songs can be
                      downloaded for free at blisshippy.com (not a big deal, and not trying to
                      promote our music - there a zillions of much more talented artists on pod
                      safe music - archive.org live archives - etc. - where you can get songs to
                      play for free with your vlogs).

                      But the point with the free part, is I would logically deduce that when we
                      give a cover song away - one we perform, ourselves - we don't have to pay
                      any royalties.

                      So, if I want to have a certain popular song as background, and I'm a
                      musician with the ability to play that song myself, I can use it without
                      worrying so long as I don't make money off of the song/video. Now, if I do
                      make money, not sure what would be equivalent to one CD sold, so, not sure
                      how royalty would work.

                      I would love to hear comments from someone with more expertise on the
                      legalities of using a copy righted cover song that I perform myself in a
                      situation where I'm not making money, and I'm distributing widely - is that
                      legal to do without paying royalties?

                      ... Richard

                      On 7/4/07, Adam Jochum <cafn8ed.tv@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > wanted to use "Song for a Future Generation" by the B-52s. Perhaps I'll
                      > > cover that.
                      > >
                      > > bekah
                      > >
                      > > ps: David, my fiancee informs me that we no longer say "bastard
                      > > red-headed step children". The more accepted term is "Gingers".
                      > >
                      > > ; )
                      > > --
                      > > http://www.missbhavens.com
                      > >

                      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > "David Howell" <taoofdavid@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Interesting.
                      > > >
                      > > > So, all musicians or bands covering a tune must get permission first
                      > > > or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
                      > > > something too?
                      > > >
                      > > > Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children

                      Richard
                      http://richardhhall.org
                      Shows
                      http://richardshow.org
                      http://inspiredhealing.tv

                    • Rupert
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 4, 2007
                        Music copyright - recorded and performed - is handled in the UK by
                        the MCPS-PRS Alliance.

                        They are experimenting with various different discount schemes for
                        using music in podcasts.

                        They had a cheap license last year, I think, which they withdrew.
                        They're now planning to re-release it, i think, with all sorts of
                        limitations on it like not using the whole song and not using
                        bookmarks and show notes to indicate start and end points. And a few
                        other more restrictive ones besides.

                        The licenses for live venues and for recorded music here have been
                        overhauled as part of our government's attempts to legislate
                        everything they possibly can as quickly as possible. The Musicians
                        Union and other people made a lot of noise about how the new laws
                        would kill live music in venues where acts performed only
                        occasionally (license is something like £1000 per year, so a country
                        pub's got to sell a lot of beer to recover that as a result of the
                        occasional weekend band). But I'm not sure what the actual effect
                        has been in the end.

                        Rupert
                        http://twittervlog.tv/

                      • Rupert
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 7, 2007
                          I took you at you word, even though the word honoured was directed at
                          David:

                          I stole your beautiful rainbow and pasted it over my ugly house :)

                          http://twittervlog.tv/?p=153

                          Rupert

                          Adam Quirk
                          Wreck & Salvage
                          551.208.4644
                          Brooklyn, NY
                          http://wreckandsalvage.com

                        • bordercollieaustralianshepherd
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                            Eat faster, Drink quick, Move along, nothing to hear here any more.

                            "Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants could be sued for playing
                            any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.

                            The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) says that equates to
                            performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is going after local
                            businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege."
                            more: <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/
                            2003815486_royalty01.html>

                            wrote:

                            > A friend of mine wrote an essay on music a couple years ago called The
                            > History of What My Dog Can't Hear:
                            >
                            > http://www.geartekcorporation.com/texts/essay2.html
                            >
                            > The essay is about changing the way we perceive music, and accepting it as
                            > something that is not ownable:
                            >
                            > The ownership or authorship of anything is a deception, surely. But I take
                            > > no issue with the ownership of objects in the world, like a broom or a drum
                            > > for example. Music however, is a thing not in the world, and the present
                            > > deception of its ownability places limits on our consciousness.
                          • Steve Watkins
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                              Heres a tinyurl to the story you posted: http://tinyurl.com/3bzguo

                              I dont think its a new law though is it, just another wave of 'make an
                              example of them to get others to comply, throw the book at them' type
                              stuff?

                              Added together these sorts of extra costs can make it hard for the
                              smaller venues to survive, if they arent too profitable to start with.
                              But its something Im sure most businesses are used to paying, I think
                              in the UK that most companies accept they have to pay such things, or
                              they try to avoid it until they are first approached, and then they
                              cough up the moolah rather than having to suffer any further hassle.

                              I dont expect anybody that makes a stand in the courts to win, as I
                              think the laws are pretty well established regarding public
                              performance rights, but maybe Im wrong.

                              Like when I was a kid, when they played videos at school the
                              smallprint always mentioned that the video was not licensed for
                              display at public events, in schools etc. I always wondered if the
                              schools paid a blanket fee, or some higher authority covered it on
                              their behalf, or whether they were being naughty and ignoring such things.

                              As that article's quotes from people show, the majority dont really
                              buy into the concept tat when they buy music or films or whatever,
                              they dont own them, they are just given rights to do certain things
                              with them. Its a tricky one, companies are spending lots of money
                              trying to 'educate the public' that things like mp3 downloading are
                              the same as stealing CDs from a music shop. Theres a really dreadful
                              advert on UK TV at the moment that tries to make a social taboo out of
                              buying pirate DVDs and such things, equating it to a bloke who gives
                              his girlfriend a ring he found in the street, what a cheapskate, hate
                              him, hate him. Meanwhile research suggests that the UK is a world
                              leader in terms of people buying dodgy fake goods.

                              What I really object to is when I buy a legit DVD and then every time
                              I stick it in the drive I am forced to watch a short piece about how
                              evil copied DVDs are. Great, punish me for having the legit version!

                              If In 25 years it is the trend for people to gather at venues wher
                              videoblogs are played on giant screens, would videobloggers think this
                              was commercial use and that they are entitled to some small cut? Thats
                              when the issues can get interesting, as otherwise its too easy to side
                              with freedom.

                              At this point my own philosophy is settling on the total respect for
                              whtaever the particular content cretor wants. If theyve signed up to a
                              system that uses draconian methods, more fool them in the long run. If
                              they want all media to be free and believe in a true creative commons
                              of works, then hoorah. If they believe in something else then I'll
                              respect that too, though I personally have a special place in my heart
                              for those who want to push freedom further than most.

                              Cheers

                              Steve Elbows

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bordercollieaustralianshepherd"
                              <bordercollieaustralianshepherd@...> wrote:

                              > Eat faster, Drink quick, Move along, nothing to hear here any more.
                              >
                              > "Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants
                              could be sued for playing
                              > any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.
                              >
                              > The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
                              says that equates to
                              > performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is
                              going after local
                              > businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege."
                              > more: <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/
                              > 2003815486_royalty01.html>

                            • Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007

                                > If In 25 years it is the trend for people to gather at venues wher
                                > videoblogs are played on giant screens, would videobloggers think this
                                > was commercial use and that they are entitled to some small cut?

                                No.

                                At this point my own philosophy is settling on the total respect for
                                > whtaever the particular content cretor wants. If theyve signed up to a
                                > system that uses draconian methods, more fool them in the long run. If
                                > they want all media to be free and believe in a true creative commons
                                > of works, then hoorah. If they believe in something else then I'll
                                > respect that too, though I personally have a special place in my heart
                                > for those who want to push freedom further than most.

                                Me too... I have a special place in my heart for those who want to push
                                anything farther than most. Creativity, freedom, even obscenity (for fuck's
                                sake). One of the biggest misses in videoblogging is the lack of people
                                pushing limits, and I don't exclude myself.

                                The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who
                                really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                                Hunter S. Thompson

                                --
                                Adam Quirk
                                Wreck & Salvage

                              • Ron Watson
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                  Perhaps we need a personal information contract that we could supply
                                  to corporations that says ,"You don't own this information, you just
                                  have the rights to use it for your personal records."

                                  If enough of the market were on board, they'd have to deal with it.

                                  I'm tired of them exploiting us.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Ron Watson

                                  Pawsitive Vybe
                                  11659 Berrigan Ave
                                  Cedar Springs, MI 49319
                                  http://pawsitivevybe.com

                                  Personal Contact:
                                  616.802.8923
                                  k9disc@...

                                  On the Web:
                                  http://pawsitivevybe.com
                                  http://k9disc.com
                                  http://k9disc.blip.tv

                                  On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:

> [...]
                                  > of works, then hoorah. If they believe in something else then I'll
                                  > respect that too, though I personally have a special place in my heart
                                  > for those who want to push freedom further than most.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers
                                  >
                                  > Steve Elbows
                                  >
                                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bordercollieaustralianshepherd"
                                  > <bordercollieaustralianshepherd@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Eat faster, Drink quick, Move along, nothing to hear here any more.
                                  > >
                                  > > "Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants
                                  > could be sued for playing
                                  > > any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.
                                  > >
                                  > > The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
                                  > says that equates to
                                  > > performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is
                                  > going after local
                                  > > businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege."

                                • Adrian Miles
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                    around the 1/8/07 Steve Watkins mentioned about [videoblogging] Re:
                                    Hardball legal tactics. Was: The Histor that:
                                    >I dont think its a new law though is it, just another wave of 'make an
                                    >example of them to get others to comply, throw the book at them' type
                                    >stuff?

                                    you're right, old law. as discussed here recently, in Australia this
                                    been the norm for years. Small annual licence fee, the money is
                                    redistributed as royalties to the artists (they do audits of what is
                                    played and bought).

                                    >Added together these sorts of extra costs can make it hard for the
                                    >smaller venues to survive, if they arent too profitable to start with.
                                    >But its something Im sure most businesses are used to paying, I think
                                    >in the UK that most companies accept they have to pay such things, or
                                    >they try to avoid it until they are first approached, and then they
                                    >cough up the moolah rather than having to suffer any further hassle.

                                    here the cost for clubs has just gone up substantially which they're
                                    all upset about, on the other hand if I sell a recording to an
                                    individual for an individual cost and it gets played to a *paying*
                                    audience in a club of 1000, it seems pretty reasonable that the
                                    artist gets a return...

                                    >I dont expect anybody that makes a stand in the courts to win, as I
                                    >think the laws are pretty well established regarding public
                                    >performance rights, but maybe Im wrong.
                                    >
                                    >Like when I was a kid, when they played videos at school the
                                    >smallprint always mentioned that the video was not licensed for
                                    >display at public events, in schools etc. I always wondered if the
                                    >schools paid a blanket fee, or some higher authority covered it on
                                    >their behalf, or whether they were being naughty and ignoring such things.

                                    it is normal practice to buy a different licence for edu use. eg a
                                    film that i can buy for $30 over the counter for home use might be
                                    $300 but I can then show it to a lecture theatre full of students.
                                    same logic as for the music. also why technically you can only
                                    photocopy x% of a book to make available to students.

                                    we can complain about it, or we can make work that is not subject to
                                    these forms of copyright if we wish. :-)
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                                      In a different thread Adam Quirk said:

                                      "I have a special place in my heart for those who want to push
                                      anything farther than most. Creativity, freedom, even obscenity (for
                                      fuck's sake). One of the biggest misses in videoblogging is the lack
                                      of people pushing limits, and I don't exclude myself."

                                      Yes I ponder that a lot all the time. I wanted to do risky stuff but I
                                      struggle because I am a chickenshit, get paranoid, intimidate myself lol.

                                      I have commented not so long ago that a lot of edgy stuff Ive seen in
                                      my life has been on UK television.

                                      But Ive got a few examples of stuff I think is edgy on the net that I
                                      wasnt aware of till recently:

                                      Better Bad News (god knows why I only just saw this amazing stuff)

                                      Pat Condell on Youtube (attacking religions with comic truth, whoa)

                                      I dont know if its harder to stumble over the edge these days, maybe I
                                      am looking for the wrong edge. Would Lenny Bruce and Bill Hicks have
                                      been edgy if they were of the vlogging era? Is it harder to be edgy on
                                      the net?

                                      Are conspiracy theory talking heads edgy?

                                      Oh I just dont know, so much of this is about cultural taboo's, we
                                      have seen that comments about Thailands king are definately edgy if
                                      you are vlogging such things in Thailand where he is revered and there
                                      still seem to be widespread belief in that sort of deference and respect.

                                      I suppose a reason to expect more edgy stuff on the net, is that such
                                      things may not traditionalyl get on TV due to financial and legal
                                      risks. So maybe youd expect a floodtide of such stuff on the net
                                      because it doesnt currently suffer those barriers much.

                                      Also I guess its about audience, Janet Jacksons nipple can cause a
                                      storm if it slips out to the masses at a certain time of day,
                                      meanwhile look at whats available on the net.

                                      Cheers

                                      Steve Elbows
                                    • Bill Cammack
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...> wrote:

                                        > But Ive got a few examples of stuff I think is edgy on the net that I
                                        > wasnt aware of till recently:
                                        >
                                        > Better Bad News (god knows why I only just saw this amazing stuff)
                                        >
                                        > Cheers
                                        >
                                        > Steve Elbows

                                        Yeah... I've TRIED not to laugh at "Better Bad News"
                                        <http://betterbadnews.blip.tv/>, but I haven't seen an episode of it
                                        yet where I haven't gotten at least two decent laughs out of it.
                                        There's obviously a lot of writing work ?improv work? that goes into
                                        that show.

                                        --
                                        billcammack
                                        http://reelsolid.tv