Re: The History of What My Dog Can't Hear

  • David Howell
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
      When you say "free lo-fi music by me", is that free as in I can use
      your music without remuneration to you?

      Not trying to sound like a prick. I like your tunes and could find use
      for them in a few videos I have planned.

      David
      http://www.davidhowellstudios.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage"
      <quirk@...> wrote:

      > Back in town, re-reading the Podtech v. Bui thread. I just want to
      talk a
      > little more about copyright and the "ownership" of art, as I felt
      compelled
      > to scratch Mr. Rice's mosquito bite about being "trollish" ;) I
      don't mean
      > to start an argument here, I just need to understand how people feel
      about
      > the things they are making, and I want you all to understand how I feel.
      >
      > A friend of mine wrote an essay on music a couple years ago called The
      > History of What My Dog Can't Hear:
      >
      > http://www.geartekcorporation.com/texts/essay2.html
      >
      > The essay is about changing the way we perceive music, and accepting
      it as
      > something that is not ownable:
      >
      > The ownership or authorship of anything is a deception, surely. But
      I take
      > > no issue with the ownership of objects in the world, like a broom
      or a drum
      > > for example. Music however, is a thing not in the world, and the
      present
      > > deception of its ownability places limits on our consciousness. My
      > > motivation here is not to sell iPods. If this near biblical
      manifesto-mill
      > > can be accused of having any agenda at all, it is merely to assist an
      > > already rising consciousness. Neither are these paragraphs
      commandments or a
      > > bugle call to what we need to realize or do. We didn't need to be
      able to
      > > hear tone in music or need to be aware of its color - it's just
      the way
      > > music is happening to us, rising on a path like the moon. Some
      astronomers
      > > can predict the path of the moon, and surely artists are those
      astronomers.
      > > I understand those who are skeptical or scoff at this as pompous and
      > > irrelevant. After all, when you look at the moon, the moon looks
      still.

      > He feels the same way about music as I do about my videos, and at
      the end he
      > says, EXTRA CREDIT: Re-read this entire essay but replace the word
      "music"
      > with the word "images."
      >
      > Re-reading it I realized that I unconsciously lifted metaphor
      directly from
      > him. Blatant plagiarism! I've already informed him and a check is
      in the
      > mail.
      >
      > Because music is a matter of shifting consciousness and not worldly
      sound, a
      > > person can't claim to own or control music any more than they can
      claim to
      > > own or control a quadrant of mist over a lake.
      >

      > PS. Here is a free album of amazing midi-synthesizer and home-made
      > electronic instrument music by the author of that essay:
      > http://www.geartekcorporation.com/slowdudes/slowdudes.html
      >
      > And some free lo-fi music by me:
      > http://standards.bullemhead.com/
      >
      > --
      > Adam Quirk
      > Wreck & Salvage
      > 551.208.4644
      > Brooklyn, NY
      > http://wreckandsalvage.com

    • Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
        Free as in liberty and the natural state of man, not price. They actually
        cost $4.30 each.

        Them's just jokes. Use em as you see fit. I'd be honored to hear them in
        your video, and those songs aren't mine to sell.

        On 7/2/07, David Howell <taoofdavid@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >

        > > He feels the same way about music as I do about my videos, and at
        > the end he
        > > says, EXTRA CREDIT: Re-read this entire essay but replace the word
        > "music"
        > > with the word "images."
        > >
        > > Re-reading it I realized that I unconsciously lifted metaphor
        > directly from
        > > him. Blatant plagiarism! I've already informed him and a check is
        > in the
        > > mail.
        > >
        > > Because music is a matter of shifting consciousness and not worldly
        > sound, a
        > > > person can't claim to own or control music any more than they can
        > claim to
        > > > own or control a quadrant of mist over a lake.
        > >

        > > PS. Here is a free album of amazing midi-synthesizer and home-made
        > > electronic instrument music by the author of that essay:

        Adam Quirk
        Wreck & Salvage
        551.208.4644
        Brooklyn, NY
        http://wreckandsalvage.com

      • David Howell
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
          Excellent. Much appreciated.

          I'll care for them and treat them as though they were made of the
          finest crystal. Maybe, on a hot summer evening, I might just call one
          of them Fred.

          <quirk@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > astronomers
          > > astronomers.
          > > still.
          > > >

          > > > He feels the same way about music as I do about my videos, and at
          > > the end he
          > > > says, EXTRA CREDIT: Re-read this entire essay but replace the word
          > > "music"
          > > > with the word "images."
          > > >
          > > > Re-reading it I realized that I unconsciously lifted metaphor
          > > directly from
          > > > him. Blatant plagiarism! I've already informed him and a check is
          > > in the
          > > > mail.
          > > >
          > > > Because music is a matter of shifting consciousness and not worldly
          > > sound, a
          > > claim to
          > > >

          > > > PS. Here is a free album of amazing midi-synthesizer and home-made
          > > > electronic instrument music by the author of that essay:

        • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
            Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog essay.
            Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need to
            secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever the
            procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).

            Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to wade
            through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.

            - Andreas

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
              Interesting.

              So, all musicians or bands covering a tune must get permission first
              or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
              something too?

              Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children
              then.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
              <solitude@...> wrote:

              > Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog
              essay.
              > Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need to
              > secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever the
              > procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).
              >
              > Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to
              wade
              > through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.
              >
              > - Andreas
              >
              > Den 02.07.2007 kl. 20:49 skrev David Howell <taoofdavid@...>:
              >
              > > Excellent. Much appreciated.
              > >
              > > I'll care for them and treat them as though they were made of the
              > > finest crystal. Maybe, on a hot summer evening, I might just call one
              > > of them Fred.
              > >
              > > David
              > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
              > >
              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage"
              > > <quirk@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Free as in liberty and the natural state of man, not price. They
              > > actually
              > >> cost $4.30 each.
              > >>
              > >> Them's just jokes. Use em as you see fit. I'd be honored to hear
              them in
              > >> your video, and those songs aren't mine to sell.

              > > I feel.

              > > called The

              > > assist an
              > > pompous and

              > >> --
              > >> Adam Quirk
              > >> Wreck & Salvage
              > >> 551.208.4644
              > >> Brooklyn, NY
              > >> http://wreckandsalvage.com

              > Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

            • missbhavens1969
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                Well, I was under the impression that musicians/bands covering a tune
                for a recording would certainly need permission on the assumption that
                money would be made from the sale of the album.

                But every band in every live concert I've ever seen has done at least
                one cover (always my favorite part of a show...you can't judge a book by
                it's cover but you CAN judge a band by it's covers) and I can't imagine
                they sought permission first.

                Oh well. There must be some sort of "if you're already famous you can do
                a cover of my famous song" clause.

                In the meanwhile, I'm going to brush up on my piano skills. I've always
                wanted to use "Song for a Future Generation" by the B-52s. Perhaps I'll
                cover that.

                bekah

                ps: David, my fiancee informs me that we no longer say "bastard
                red-headed step children". The more accepted term is "Gingers".

                ; )
                --
                http://www.missbhavens.com

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@...>

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                  There are standard licensing agreements for this kind of stuff and no
                  permission is needed as long as you pay. In the case of music being
                  covered by a live band it is to the best of my knowledge the venue who is
                  paying the licensing fees (in Denmark, don't know about the US) to the
                  appropriate organization.

                  - Andreas

                • Brook Hinton
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                    In the US it is assumed the venue has paid their annual licensing fee. My
                    understanding is even bars and cafes aren't supposed to have a radio on
                    unless they have paid a licensing fee. It is: insane.

                    Brook Hinton
                    film/video/audio art
                    www.brookhinton.com <<vlog links are here
                    ______________________________________

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                      That is true in Denmark as well. The prices are very reasonable (I just
                      looked them up) and won't hold any establishment back.

                      - Andreas

                      Den 03.07.2007 kl. 17:16 skrev Brook Hinton <bhinton@...>:

                      > In the US it is assumed the venue has paid their annual licensing fee. My
                      > understanding is even bars and cafes aren't supposed to have a radio on
                      > unless they have paid a licensing fee. It is: insane.

                      > Brook Hinton
                      > film/video/audio art
                      > www.brookhinton.com <<vlog links are here
                      > ______________________________________
                      >

                      > On 7/3/07, Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen <solitude@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> There are standard licensing agreements for this kind of stuff and no
                      >> permission is needed as long as you pay. In the case of music being
                      >> covered by a live band it is to the best of my knowledge the venue who
                      >> is
                      >> paying the licensing fees (in Denmark, don't know about the US) to the
                      >> appropriate organization.
                      >>
                      >> - Andreas

                      Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                    • Adrian Miles
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                        around the 3/7/07 Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen mentioned about Re:
                        [videoblogging] Re: The History of What My Dog Can't He that:
                        >That is true in Denmark as well. The prices are very reasonable (I just
                        >looked them up) and won't hold any establishment back.

                        ditto in Australia. the agency responsible also redistributes this
                        money to artists on the basis of sales of music and radio station
                        playlists.
                        --
                        cheers
                        Adrian Miles
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                          As always I have stories, but this time I'll just provide links and
                          search terms..

                          http://www.ascap.com/licensing/

                          http://www.bmi.com/licensing/?link=navbar

                          http://www.bmi.com/licensing/entry/C1176

                          You should be able to find plenty of info using these search terms:
                          ASCAP and BMI, ASCAP and BMI and VIOLATIONS, ASCAP and BMI and BAR and
                          CLUB.

                          > [videoblogging] Re: The History of What My Dog Can't He that:
                          > >That is true in Denmark as well. The prices are very reasonable (I just
                          > >looked them up) and won't hold any establishment back.
                          >
                          > ditto in Australia. the agency responsible also redistributes this
                          > money to artists on the basis of sales of music and radio station
                          > playlists.
                          > --
                          > cheers
                          > Adrian Miles
                        • Adam Jochum
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 4, 2007
                            In a live perfomance, the venue pays for the privilege of allowing the
                            musician to perform copyrighted material via ASCAP and BMI
                            'membership'. If a recording is made, the musician pays for the
                            privilege of distributing the copyrighted material. Some friends of
                            mine in a band who released a live recording are continuously
                            grumbling about the royalties on the 'covers' they played in that show.

                            Adam Jochum
                            cafn8ed.tv

                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
                            <missbhavens1969@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
                            > > something too?
                            > >
                            > > Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children
                            > > then.
                            > >
                            > > David
                            > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                            > >
                            > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
                            > > solitude@ wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog
                            > > essay.
                            > > > Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need
                            > > > secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever
                            > the
                            > > > procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).
                            > > >
                            > > > Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to
                            > > wade
                            > > > through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.

                          • Richard (Show) Hall
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 4, 2007
                              Ok, I'm not sure how this has changed since Maureen and I were playing music
                              and recording.

                              Anyway, we recorded one cover song on a CD we made - writer was ASCP or BMI,
                              don't remember which - and the way it worked was that for every CD we sold
                              we were to pay him 9 cents or something like that (this was early 90s).

                              So, if that is the "royalties" you refer to, at least in our case, seemed
                              pretty reasonable.

                              I'm not sure how universal this was or what, but we got the info from the
                              song writer himself and from a lot of other singer song writers we knew at
                              the time, so that was our source for information on what to do - no one
                              official.

                              Now we give away the one CD we recorded for free and all the songs can be
                              downloaded for free at blisshippy.com (not a big deal, and not trying to
                              promote our music - there a zillions of much more talented artists on pod
                              safe music - archive.org live archives - etc. - where you can get songs to
                              play for free with your vlogs).

                              But the point with the free part, is I would logically deduce that when we
                              give a cover song away - one we perform, ourselves - we don't have to pay
                              any royalties.

                              So, if I want to have a certain popular song as background, and I'm a
                              musician with the ability to play that song myself, I can use it without
                              worrying so long as I don't make money off of the song/video. Now, if I do
                              make money, not sure what would be equivalent to one CD sold, so, not sure
                              how royalty would work.

                              I would love to hear comments from someone with more expertise on the
                              legalities of using a copy righted cover song that I perform myself in a
                              situation where I'm not making money, and I'm distributing widely - is that
                              legal to do without paying royalties?

                              ... Richard

                              On 7/4/07, Adam Jochum <cafn8ed.tv@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > wanted to use "Song for a Future Generation" by the B-52s. Perhaps I'll
                              > > cover that.
                              > >
                              > > bekah
                              > >
                              > > ps: David, my fiancee informs me that we no longer say "bastard
                              > > red-headed step children". The more accepted term is "Gingers".
                              > >
                              > > ; )
                              > > --
                              > > http://www.missbhavens.com
                              > >

                              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
                              > "David Howell" <taoofdavid@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Interesting.
                              > > >
                              > > > So, all musicians or bands covering a tune must get permission first
                              > > > or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
                              > > > something too?
                              > > >
                              > > > Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children

                              Richard
                              http://richardhhall.org
                              Shows
                              http://richardshow.org
                              http://inspiredhealing.tv

                            • Rupert
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 4, 2007
                                Music copyright - recorded and performed - is handled in the UK by
                                the MCPS-PRS Alliance.

                                They are experimenting with various different discount schemes for
                                using music in podcasts.

                                They had a cheap license last year, I think, which they withdrew.
                                They're now planning to re-release it, i think, with all sorts of
                                limitations on it like not using the whole song and not using
                                bookmarks and show notes to indicate start and end points. And a few
                                other more restrictive ones besides.

                                The licenses for live venues and for recorded music here have been
                                overhauled as part of our government's attempts to legislate
                                everything they possibly can as quickly as possible. The Musicians
                                Union and other people made a lot of noise about how the new laws
                                would kill live music in venues where acts performed only
                                occasionally (license is something like £1000 per year, so a country
                                pub's got to sell a lot of beer to recover that as a result of the
                                occasional weekend band). But I'm not sure what the actual effect
                                has been in the end.

                                Rupert
                                http://twittervlog.tv/

                              • Rupert
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 7, 2007
                                  I took you at you word, even though the word honoured was directed at
                                  David:

                                  I stole your beautiful rainbow and pasted it over my ugly house :)

                                  http://twittervlog.tv/?p=153

                                  Rupert

                                  Adam Quirk
                                  Wreck & Salvage
                                  551.208.4644
                                  Brooklyn, NY
                                  http://wreckandsalvage.com

                                • bordercollieaustralianshepherd
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                    Eat faster, Drink quick, Move along, nothing to hear here any more.

                                    "Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants could be sued for playing
                                    any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.

                                    The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) says that equates to
                                    performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is going after local
                                    businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege."
                                    more: <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/
                                    2003815486_royalty01.html>

                                    wrote:

                                    > A friend of mine wrote an essay on music a couple years ago called The
                                    > History of What My Dog Can't Hear:
                                    >
                                    > http://www.geartekcorporation.com/texts/essay2.html
                                    >
                                    > The essay is about changing the way we perceive music, and accepting it as
                                    > something that is not ownable:
                                    >
                                    > The ownership or authorship of anything is a deception, surely. But I take
                                    > > no issue with the ownership of objects in the world, like a broom or a drum
                                    > > for example. Music however, is a thing not in the world, and the present
                                    > > deception of its ownability places limits on our consciousness.
                                  • Steve Watkins
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                      Heres a tinyurl to the story you posted: http://tinyurl.com/3bzguo

                                      I dont think its a new law though is it, just another wave of 'make an
                                      example of them to get others to comply, throw the book at them' type
                                      stuff?

                                      Added together these sorts of extra costs can make it hard for the
                                      smaller venues to survive, if they arent too profitable to start with.
                                      But its something Im sure most businesses are used to paying, I think
                                      in the UK that most companies accept they have to pay such things, or
                                      they try to avoid it until they are first approached, and then they
                                      cough up the moolah rather than having to suffer any further hassle.

                                      I dont expect anybody that makes a stand in the courts to win, as I
                                      think the laws are pretty well established regarding public
                                      performance rights, but maybe Im wrong.

                                      Like when I was a kid, when they played videos at school the
                                      smallprint always mentioned that the video was not licensed for
                                      display at public events, in schools etc. I always wondered if the
                                      schools paid a blanket fee, or some higher authority covered it on
                                      their behalf, or whether they were being naughty and ignoring such things.

                                      As that article's quotes from people show, the majority dont really
                                      buy into the concept tat when they buy music or films or whatever,
                                      they dont own them, they are just given rights to do certain things
                                      with them. Its a tricky one, companies are spending lots of money
                                      trying to 'educate the public' that things like mp3 downloading are
                                      the same as stealing CDs from a music shop. Theres a really dreadful
                                      advert on UK TV at the moment that tries to make a social taboo out of
                                      buying pirate DVDs and such things, equating it to a bloke who gives
                                      his girlfriend a ring he found in the street, what a cheapskate, hate
                                      him, hate him. Meanwhile research suggests that the UK is a world
                                      leader in terms of people buying dodgy fake goods.

                                      What I really object to is when I buy a legit DVD and then every time
                                      I stick it in the drive I am forced to watch a short piece about how
                                      evil copied DVDs are. Great, punish me for having the legit version!

                                      If In 25 years it is the trend for people to gather at venues wher
                                      videoblogs are played on giant screens, would videobloggers think this
                                      was commercial use and that they are entitled to some small cut? Thats
                                      when the issues can get interesting, as otherwise its too easy to side
                                      with freedom.

                                      At this point my own philosophy is settling on the total respect for
                                      whtaever the particular content cretor wants. If theyve signed up to a
                                      system that uses draconian methods, more fool them in the long run. If
                                      they want all media to be free and believe in a true creative commons
                                      of works, then hoorah. If they believe in something else then I'll
                                      respect that too, though I personally have a special place in my heart
                                      for those who want to push freedom further than most.

                                      Cheers

                                      Steve Elbows

                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bordercollieaustralianshepherd"
                                      <bordercollieaustralianshepherd@...> wrote:

                                      > Eat faster, Drink quick, Move along, nothing to hear here any more.
                                      >
                                      > "Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants
                                      could be sued for playing
                                      > any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.
                                      >
                                      > The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
                                      says that equates to
                                      > performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is
                                      going after local
                                      > businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege."
                                      > more: <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/
                                      > 2003815486_royalty01.html>

                                    • Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007

                                        > If In 25 years it is the trend for people to gather at venues wher
                                        > videoblogs are played on giant screens, would videobloggers think this
                                        > was commercial use and that they are entitled to some small cut?

                                        No.

                                        At this point my own philosophy is settling on the total respect for
                                        > whtaever the particular content cretor wants. If theyve signed up to a
                                        > system that uses draconian methods, more fool them in the long run. If
                                        > they want all media to be free and believe in a true creative commons
                                        > of works, then hoorah. If they believe in something else then I'll
                                        > respect that too, though I personally have a special place in my heart
                                        > for those who want to push freedom further than most.

                                        Me too... I have a special place in my heart for those who want to push
                                        anything farther than most. Creativity, freedom, even obscenity (for fuck's
                                        sake). One of the biggest misses in videoblogging is the lack of people
                                        pushing limits, and I don't exclude myself.

                                        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who
                                        really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                                        Hunter S. Thompson

                                        --
                                        Adam Quirk
                                        Wreck & Salvage

                                      • Ron Watson
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                          Perhaps we need a personal information contract that we could supply
                                          to corporations that says ,"You don't own this information, you just
                                          have the rights to use it for your personal records."

                                          If enough of the market were on board, they'd have to deal with it.

                                          I'm tired of them exploiting us.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Ron Watson

                                          Pawsitive Vybe
                                          11659 Berrigan Ave
                                          Cedar Springs, MI 49319
                                          http://pawsitivevybe.com

                                          Personal Contact:
                                          616.802.8923
                                          k9disc@...

                                          On the Web:
                                          http://pawsitivevybe.com
                                          http://k9disc.com
                                          http://k9disc.blip.tv

                                          On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:

> [...]
                                          > of works, then hoorah. If they believe in something else then I'll
                                          > respect that too, though I personally have a special place in my heart
                                          > for those who want to push freedom further than most.
                                          >
                                          > Cheers
                                          >
                                          > Steve Elbows
                                          >
                                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bordercollieaustralianshepherd"
                                          > <bordercollieaustralianshepherd@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Eat faster, Drink quick, Move along, nothing to hear here any more.
                                          > >
                                          > > "Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants
                                          > could be sued for playing
                                          > > any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.
                                          > >
                                          > > The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
                                          > says that equates to
                                          > > performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is
                                          > going after local
                                          > > businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege."

                                        • Adrian Miles
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                            around the 1/8/07 Steve Watkins mentioned about [videoblogging] Re:
                                            Hardball legal tactics. Was: The Histor that:
                                            >I dont think its a new law though is it, just another wave of 'make an
                                            >example of them to get others to comply, throw the book at them' type
                                            >stuff?

                                            you're right, old law. as discussed here recently, in Australia this
                                            been the norm for years. Small annual licence fee, the money is
                                            redistributed as royalties to the artists (they do audits of what is
                                            played and bought).

                                            >Added together these sorts of extra costs can make it hard for the
                                            >smaller venues to survive, if they arent too profitable to start with.
                                            >But its something Im sure most businesses are used to paying, I think
                                            >in the UK that most companies accept they have to pay such things, or
                                            >they try to avoid it until they are first approached, and then they
                                            >cough up the moolah rather than having to suffer any further hassle.

                                            here the cost for clubs has just gone up substantially which they're
                                            all upset about, on the other hand if I sell a recording to an
                                            individual for an individual cost and it gets played to a *paying*
                                            audience in a club of 1000, it seems pretty reasonable that the
                                            artist gets a return...

                                            >I dont expect anybody that makes a stand in the courts to win, as I
                                            >think the laws are pretty well established regarding public
                                            >performance rights, but maybe Im wrong.
                                            >
                                            >Like when I was a kid, when they played videos at school the
                                            >smallprint always mentioned that the video was not licensed for
                                            >display at public events, in schools etc. I always wondered if the
                                            >schools paid a blanket fee, or some higher authority covered it on
                                            >their behalf, or whether they were being naughty and ignoring such things.

                                            it is normal practice to buy a different licence for edu use. eg a
                                            film that i can buy for $30 over the counter for home use might be
                                            $300 but I can then show it to a lecture theatre full of students.
                                            same logic as for the music. also why technically you can only
                                            photocopy x% of a book to make available to students.

                                            we can complain about it, or we can make work that is not subject to
                                            these forms of copyright if we wish. :-)
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                                              In a different thread Adam Quirk said:

                                              "I have a special place in my heart for those who want to push
                                              anything farther than most. Creativity, freedom, even obscenity (for
                                              fuck's sake). One of the biggest misses in videoblogging is the lack
                                              of people pushing limits, and I don't exclude myself."

                                              Yes I ponder that a lot all the time. I wanted to do risky stuff but I
                                              struggle because I am a chickenshit, get paranoid, intimidate myself lol.

                                              I have commented not so long ago that a lot of edgy stuff Ive seen in
                                              my life has been on UK television.

                                              But Ive got a few examples of stuff I think is edgy on the net that I
                                              wasnt aware of till recently:

                                              Better Bad News (god knows why I only just saw this amazing stuff)

                                              Pat Condell on Youtube (attacking religions with comic truth, whoa)

                                              I dont know if its harder to stumble over the edge these days, maybe I
                                              am looking for the wrong edge. Would Lenny Bruce and Bill Hicks have
                                              been edgy if they were of the vlogging era? Is it harder to be edgy on
                                              the net?

                                              Are conspiracy theory talking heads edgy?

                                              Oh I just dont know, so much of this is about cultural taboo's, we
                                              have seen that comments about Thailands king are definately edgy if
                                              you are vlogging such things in Thailand where he is revered and there
                                              still seem to be widespread belief in that sort of deference and respect.

                                              I suppose a reason to expect more edgy stuff on the net, is that such
                                              things may not traditionalyl get on TV due to financial and legal
                                              risks. So maybe youd expect a floodtide of such stuff on the net
                                              because it doesnt currently suffer those barriers much.

                                              Also I guess its about audience, Janet Jacksons nipple can cause a
                                              storm if it slips out to the masses at a certain time of day,
                                              meanwhile look at whats available on the net.

                                              Cheers

                                              Steve Elbows
                                            • Bill Cammack
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                                                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...> wrote:

                                                > But Ive got a few examples of stuff I think is edgy on the net that I
                                                > wasnt aware of till recently:
                                                >
                                                > Better Bad News (god knows why I only just saw this amazing stuff)
                                                >
                                                > Cheers
                                                >
                                                > Steve Elbows

                                                Yeah... I've TRIED not to laugh at "Better Bad News"
                                                <http://betterbadnews.blip.tv/>, but I haven't seen an episode of it
                                                yet where I haven't gotten at least two decent laughs out of it.
                                                There's obviously a lot of writing work ?improv work? that goes into
                                                that show.

                                                --
                                                billcammack
                                                http://reelsolid.tv