The History of What My Dog Can't Hear

  • Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
      Back in town, re-reading the Podtech v. Bui thread. I just want to talk a
      little more about copyright and the "ownership" of art, as I felt compelled
      to scratch Mr. Rice's mosquito bite about being "trollish" ;) I don't mean
      to start an argument here, I just need to understand how people feel about
      the things they are making, and I want you all to understand how I feel.

      A friend of mine wrote an essay on music a couple years ago called The
      History of What My Dog Can't Hear:

      http://www.geartekcorporation.com/texts/essay2.html

      The essay is about changing the way we perceive music, and accepting it as
      something that is not ownable:

      The ownership or authorship of anything is a deception, surely. But I take
      > no issue with the ownership of objects in the world, like a broom or a drum
      > for example. Music however, is a thing not in the world, and the present
      > deception of its ownability places limits on our consciousness. My
      > motivation here is not to sell iPods. If this near biblical manifesto-mill
      > can be accused of having any agenda at all, it is merely to assist an
      > already rising consciousness. Neither are these paragraphs commandments or a
      > bugle call to what we need to realize or do. We didn't need to be able to
      > hear tone in music or need to be aware of its color - it's just the way
      > music is happening to us, rising on a path like the moon. Some astronomers
      > can predict the path of the moon, and surely artists are those astronomers.
      > I understand those who are skeptical or scoff at this as pompous and
      > irrelevant. After all, when you look at the moon, the moon looks still.

      He feels the same way about music as I do about my videos, and at the end he
      says, EXTRA CREDIT: Re-read this entire essay but replace the word "music"
      with the word "images."

      Re-reading it I realized that I unconsciously lifted metaphor directly from
      him. Blatant plagiarism! I've already informed him and a check is in the
      mail.

      Because music is a matter of shifting consciousness and not worldly sound, a
      > person can't claim to own or control music any more than they can claim to
      > own or control a quadrant of mist over a lake.

      PS. Here is a free album of amazing midi-synthesizer and home-made
      electronic instrument music by the author of that essay:
      http://www.geartekcorporation.com/slowdudes/slowdudes.html

      And some free lo-fi music by me:
      http://standards.bullemhead.com/

      --
      Adam Quirk
      Wreck & Salvage

    • David Howell
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
        When you say "free lo-fi music by me", is that free as in I can use
        your music without remuneration to you?

        Not trying to sound like a prick. I like your tunes and could find use
        for them in a few videos I have planned.

        David
        http://www.davidhowellstudios.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage"
        <quirk@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >

        > He feels the same way about music as I do about my videos, and at
        the end he
        > says, EXTRA CREDIT: Re-read this entire essay but replace the word
        "music"
        > with the word "images."
        >
        > Re-reading it I realized that I unconsciously lifted metaphor
        directly from
        > him. Blatant plagiarism! I've already informed him and a check is
        in the
        > mail.
        >
        > Because music is a matter of shifting consciousness and not worldly
        sound, a
        > > person can't claim to own or control music any more than they can
        claim to
        > > own or control a quadrant of mist over a lake.
        >

        > PS. Here is a free album of amazing midi-synthesizer and home-made
        > electronic instrument music by the author of that essay:

      • Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
          Free as in liberty and the natural state of man, not price. They actually
          cost $4.30 each.

          Them's just jokes. Use em as you see fit. I'd be honored to hear them in
          your video, and those songs aren't mine to sell.

          On 7/2/07, David Howell <taoofdavid@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >

          > > He feels the same way about music as I do about my videos, and at
          > the end he
          > > says, EXTRA CREDIT: Re-read this entire essay but replace the word
          > "music"
          > > with the word "images."
          > >
          > > Re-reading it I realized that I unconsciously lifted metaphor
          > directly from
          > > him. Blatant plagiarism! I've already informed him and a check is
          > in the
          > > mail.
          > >
          > > Because music is a matter of shifting consciousness and not worldly
          > sound, a
          > > > person can't claim to own or control music any more than they can
          > claim to
          > > > own or control a quadrant of mist over a lake.
          > >

          > > PS. Here is a free album of amazing midi-synthesizer and home-made
          > > electronic instrument music by the author of that essay:

          Adam Quirk
          Wreck & Salvage
          551.208.4644
          Brooklyn, NY
          http://wreckandsalvage.com

        • David Howell
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
            Excellent. Much appreciated.

            I'll care for them and treat them as though they were made of the
            finest crystal. Maybe, on a hot summer evening, I might just call one
            of them Fred.

            <quirk@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > astronomers
            > > astronomers.
            > > still.
            > > >

            > > > He feels the same way about music as I do about my videos, and at
            > > the end he
            > > > says, EXTRA CREDIT: Re-read this entire essay but replace the word
            > > "music"
            > > > with the word "images."
            > > >
            > > > Re-reading it I realized that I unconsciously lifted metaphor
            > > directly from
            > > > him. Blatant plagiarism! I've already informed him and a check is
            > > in the
            > > > mail.
            > > >
            > > > Because music is a matter of shifting consciousness and not worldly
            > > sound, a
            > > claim to
            > > >

            > > > PS. Here is a free album of amazing midi-synthesizer and home-made
            > > > electronic instrument music by the author of that essay:

          • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
              Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog essay.
              Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need to
              secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever the
              procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).

              Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to wade
              through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.

              - Andreas

              Den 02.07.2007 kl. 20:49 skrev David Howell <taoofdavid@...>:

              > Excellent. Much appreciated.
              >
              > I'll care for them and treat them as though they were made of the
              > finest crystal. Maybe, on a hot summer evening, I might just call one
              > of them Fred.
              >
              > David
              > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
              >
              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage"
              > <quirk@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Free as in liberty and the natural state of man, not price. They
              > actually
              >> cost $4.30 each.
              >>
              >> Them's just jokes. Use em as you see fit. I'd be honored to hear them in
              >> your video, and those songs aren't mine to sell.
              >>
              >> On 7/2/07, David Howell <taoofdavid@...> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > When you say "free lo-fi music by me", is that free as in I can use
              >> > your music without remuneration to you?
              >> >
              >> > Not trying to sound like a prick. I like your tunes and could find use
              >> > for them in a few videos I have planned.
              >> >
              >> > David
              >> > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
              >> >
              >> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage"

              >> > talk a
              >> > compelled
              >> > don't mean
              >> > about
              > I feel.

              > called The

              >> > it as

              >> > I take
              >> > or a drum
              >> > present
              >> > manifesto-mill
              > assist an
              >> > commandments or a
              >> > able to
              >> > the way
              >> > astronomers
              >> > astronomers.
              > pompous and
              >> > still.

              >> > the end he
              >> > "music"

              >> > directly from
              >> > in the

              >> > sound, a
              >> > claim to

              >> > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >> >

              >> --
              >> Adam Quirk
              >> Wreck & Salvage
              >> 551.208.4644
              >> Brooklyn, NY
              >> http://wreckandsalvage.com

              Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                Interesting.

                So, all musicians or bands covering a tune must get permission first
                or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
                something too?

                Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children
                then.

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
                <solitude@...> wrote:

                > Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog
                essay.
                > Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need to
                > secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever the
                > procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).
                >
                > Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to
                wade
                > through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.
                >
                > - Andreas
                >
                > Den 02.07.2007 kl. 20:49 skrev David Howell <taoofdavid@...>:
                >
                > > Excellent. Much appreciated.
                > >
                > > I'll care for them and treat them as though they were made of the
                > > finest crystal. Maybe, on a hot summer evening, I might just call one
                > > of them Fred.
                > >
                > > David
                > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                > >
                > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage"
                > > <quirk@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Free as in liberty and the natural state of man, not price. They
                > > actually
                > >> cost $4.30 each.
                > >>
                > >> Them's just jokes. Use em as you see fit. I'd be honored to hear
                them in
                > >> your video, and those songs aren't mine to sell.

                > > I feel.

                > > called The

                > > assist an
                > > pompous and

                > >> --
                > >> Adam Quirk
                > >> Wreck & Salvage
                > >> 551.208.4644
                > >> Brooklyn, NY
                > >> http://wreckandsalvage.com

                > Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

              • missbhavens1969
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Well, I was under the impression that musicians/bands covering a tune
                  for a recording would certainly need permission on the assumption that
                  money would be made from the sale of the album.

                  But every band in every live concert I've ever seen has done at least
                  one cover (always my favorite part of a show...you can't judge a book by
                  it's cover but you CAN judge a band by it's covers) and I can't imagine
                  they sought permission first.

                  Oh well. There must be some sort of "if you're already famous you can do
                  a cover of my famous song" clause.

                  In the meanwhile, I'm going to brush up on my piano skills. I've always
                  wanted to use "Song for a Future Generation" by the B-52s. Perhaps I'll
                  cover that.

                  bekah

                  ps: David, my fiancee informs me that we no longer say "bastard
                  red-headed step children". The more accepted term is "Gingers".

                  ; )
                  --
                  http://www.missbhavens.com

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@...>

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                    There are standard licensing agreements for this kind of stuff and no
                    permission is needed as long as you pay. In the case of music being
                    covered by a live band it is to the best of my knowledge the venue who is
                    paying the licensing fees (in Denmark, don't know about the US) to the
                    appropriate organization.

                    - Andreas

                    Den 03.07.2007 kl. 15:59 skrev missbhavens1969 <missbhavens1969@...>:

> [...]
                    >> or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
                    >> something too?
                    >>
                    >> Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children
                    >> then.
                    >>
                    >> David
                    >> http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                    >>
                    >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
                    >> solitude@ wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog
                    >> essay.
                    >> > Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need
                    >> > secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever
                    > the
                    >> > procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).
                    >> >
                    >> > Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to
                    >> wade
                    >> > through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.

                      In the US it is assumed the venue has paid their annual licensing fee. My
                      understanding is even bars and cafes aren't supposed to have a radio on
                      unless they have paid a licensing fee. It is: insane.

                      Brook Hinton
                      film/video/audio art
                      www.brookhinton.com <<vlog links are here
                      ______________________________________

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                        That is true in Denmark as well. The prices are very reasonable (I just
                        looked them up) and won't hold any establishment back.

                        - Andreas

                        Den 03.07.2007 kl. 17:16 skrev Brook Hinton <bhinton@...>:

                        > In the US it is assumed the venue has paid their annual licensing fee. My
                        > understanding is even bars and cafes aren't supposed to have a radio on
                        > unless they have paid a licensing fee. It is: insane.

                        > Brook Hinton
                        > film/video/audio art
                        > www.brookhinton.com <<vlog links are here
                        > ______________________________________
                        >

                        > On 7/3/07, Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen <solitude@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> There are standard licensing agreements for this kind of stuff and no
                        >> permission is needed as long as you pay. In the case of music being
                        >> covered by a live band it is to the best of my knowledge the venue who
                        >> is
                        >> paying the licensing fees (in Denmark, don't know about the US) to the
                        >> appropriate organization.
                        >>
                        >> - Andreas

                        Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                          around the 3/7/07 Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen mentioned about Re:
                          [videoblogging] Re: The History of What My Dog Can't He that:
                          >That is true in Denmark as well. The prices are very reasonable (I just
                          >looked them up) and won't hold any establishment back.

                          ditto in Australia. the agency responsible also redistributes this
                          money to artists on the basis of sales of music and radio station
                          playlists.
                          --
                          cheers
                          Adrian Miles
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 3, 2007
                            As always I have stories, but this time I'll just provide links and
                            search terms..

                            http://www.ascap.com/licensing/

                            http://www.bmi.com/licensing/?link=navbar

                            http://www.bmi.com/licensing/entry/C1176

                            You should be able to find plenty of info using these search terms:
                            ASCAP and BMI, ASCAP and BMI and VIOLATIONS, ASCAP and BMI and BAR and
                            CLUB.

                            > [videoblogging] Re: The History of What My Dog Can't He that:
                            > >That is true in Denmark as well. The prices are very reasonable (I just
                            > >looked them up) and won't hold any establishment back.
                            >
                            > ditto in Australia. the agency responsible also redistributes this
                            > money to artists on the basis of sales of music and radio station
                            > playlists.
                            > --
                            > cheers
                            > Adrian Miles
                          • Adam Jochum
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 4, 2007
                              In a live perfomance, the venue pays for the privilege of allowing the
                              musician to perform copyrighted material via ASCAP and BMI
                              'membership'. If a recording is made, the musician pays for the
                              privilege of distributing the copyrighted material. Some friends of
                              mine in a band who released a live recording are continuously
                              grumbling about the royalties on the 'covers' they played in that show.

                              Adam Jochum
                              cafn8ed.tv

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
                              <missbhavens1969@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
                              > > something too?
                              > >
                              > > Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children
                              > > then.
                              > >
                              > > David
                              > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                              > >
                              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
                              > > solitude@ wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Beware though that the US court system do not agree with the dog
                              > > essay.
                              > > > Adam did not write most of those songs and thus you will also need
                              > > > secure permission from the composer (or pay ASCAP fees or whatever
                              > the
                              > > > procedure is for the kind of work you want to make).
                              > > >
                              > > > Longer reply coming in a day or two when I've had time & energy to
                              > > wade
                              > > > through the rhetoric analogies in that essay.

                            • Richard (Show) Hall
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 4, 2007
                                Ok, I'm not sure how this has changed since Maureen and I were playing music
                                and recording.

                                Anyway, we recorded one cover song on a CD we made - writer was ASCP or BMI,
                                don't remember which - and the way it worked was that for every CD we sold
                                we were to pay him 9 cents or something like that (this was early 90s).

                                So, if that is the "royalties" you refer to, at least in our case, seemed
                                pretty reasonable.

                                I'm not sure how universal this was or what, but we got the info from the
                                song writer himself and from a lot of other singer song writers we knew at
                                the time, so that was our source for information on what to do - no one
                                official.

                                Now we give away the one CD we recorded for free and all the songs can be
                                downloaded for free at blisshippy.com (not a big deal, and not trying to
                                promote our music - there a zillions of much more talented artists on pod
                                safe music - archive.org live archives - etc. - where you can get songs to
                                play for free with your vlogs).

                                But the point with the free part, is I would logically deduce that when we
                                give a cover song away - one we perform, ourselves - we don't have to pay
                                any royalties.

                                So, if I want to have a certain popular song as background, and I'm a
                                musician with the ability to play that song myself, I can use it without
                                worrying so long as I don't make money off of the song/video. Now, if I do
                                make money, not sure what would be equivalent to one CD sold, so, not sure
                                how royalty would work.

                                I would love to hear comments from someone with more expertise on the
                                legalities of using a copy righted cover song that I perform myself in a
                                situation where I'm not making money, and I'm distributing widely - is that
                                legal to do without paying royalties?

                                ... Richard

                                On 7/4/07, Adam Jochum <cafn8ed.tv@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > > wanted to use "Song for a Future Generation" by the B-52s. Perhaps I'll
                                > > cover that.
                                > >
                                > > bekah
                                > >
                                > > ps: David, my fiancee informs me that we no longer say "bastard
                                > > red-headed step children". The more accepted term is "Gingers".
                                > >
                                > > ; )
                                > > --
                                > > http://www.missbhavens.com
                                > >

                                > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                > "David Howell" <taoofdavid@>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Interesting.
                                > > >
                                > > > So, all musicians or bands covering a tune must get permission first
                                > > > or pay fees? Does that include if they cover a song in an encore or
                                > > > something too?
                                > > >
                                > > > Adam's music might have to become my bastard red-haired step children

                                Richard
                                http://richardhhall.org
                                Shows
                                http://richardshow.org
                                http://inspiredhealing.tv

                              • Rupert
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 4, 2007
                                  Music copyright - recorded and performed - is handled in the UK by
                                  the MCPS-PRS Alliance.

                                  They are experimenting with various different discount schemes for
                                  using music in podcasts.

                                  They had a cheap license last year, I think, which they withdrew.
                                  They're now planning to re-release it, i think, with all sorts of
                                  limitations on it like not using the whole song and not using
                                  bookmarks and show notes to indicate start and end points. And a few
                                  other more restrictive ones besides.

                                  The licenses for live venues and for recorded music here have been
                                  overhauled as part of our government's attempts to legislate
                                  everything they possibly can as quickly as possible. The Musicians
                                  Union and other people made a lot of noise about how the new laws
                                  would kill live music in venues where acts performed only
                                  occasionally (license is something like £1000 per year, so a country
                                  pub's got to sell a lot of beer to recover that as a result of the
                                  occasional weekend band). But I'm not sure what the actual effect
                                  has been in the end.

                                  Rupert
                                  http://twittervlog.tv/

                                • Rupert
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 7, 2007
                                    I took you at you word, even though the word honoured was directed at
                                    David:

                                    I stole your beautiful rainbow and pasted it over my ugly house :)

                                    http://twittervlog.tv/?p=153

                                    Rupert

                                    Adam Quirk
                                    Wreck & Salvage
                                    551.208.4644
                                    Brooklyn, NY
                                    http://wreckandsalvage.com

                                  • bordercollieaustralianshepherd
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                      Eat faster, Drink quick, Move along, nothing to hear here any more.

                                      "Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants could be sued for playing
                                      any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.

                                      The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) says that equates to
                                      performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is going after local
                                      businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege."
                                      more: <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/
                                      2003815486_royalty01.html>

                                      wrote:

                                      > A friend of mine wrote an essay on music a couple years ago called The
                                      > History of What My Dog Can't Hear:
                                      >
                                      > http://www.geartekcorporation.com/texts/essay2.html
                                      >
                                      > The essay is about changing the way we perceive music, and accepting it as
                                      > something that is not ownable:
                                      >
                                      > The ownership or authorship of anything is a deception, surely. But I take
                                      > > no issue with the ownership of objects in the world, like a broom or a drum
                                      > > for example. Music however, is a thing not in the world, and the present
                                      > > deception of its ownability places limits on our consciousness.
                                    • Steve Watkins
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                        Heres a tinyurl to the story you posted: http://tinyurl.com/3bzguo

                                        I dont think its a new law though is it, just another wave of 'make an
                                        example of them to get others to comply, throw the book at them' type
                                        stuff?

                                        Added together these sorts of extra costs can make it hard for the
                                        smaller venues to survive, if they arent too profitable to start with.
                                        But its something Im sure most businesses are used to paying, I think
                                        in the UK that most companies accept they have to pay such things, or
                                        they try to avoid it until they are first approached, and then they
                                        cough up the moolah rather than having to suffer any further hassle.

                                        I dont expect anybody that makes a stand in the courts to win, as I
                                        think the laws are pretty well established regarding public
                                        performance rights, but maybe Im wrong.

                                        Like when I was a kid, when they played videos at school the
                                        smallprint always mentioned that the video was not licensed for
                                        display at public events, in schools etc. I always wondered if the
                                        schools paid a blanket fee, or some higher authority covered it on
                                        their behalf, or whether they were being naughty and ignoring such things.

                                        As that article's quotes from people show, the majority dont really
                                        buy into the concept tat when they buy music or films or whatever,
                                        they dont own them, they are just given rights to do certain things
                                        with them. Its a tricky one, companies are spending lots of money
                                        trying to 'educate the public' that things like mp3 downloading are
                                        the same as stealing CDs from a music shop. Theres a really dreadful
                                        advert on UK TV at the moment that tries to make a social taboo out of
                                        buying pirate DVDs and such things, equating it to a bloke who gives
                                        his girlfriend a ring he found in the street, what a cheapskate, hate
                                        him, hate him. Meanwhile research suggests that the UK is a world
                                        leader in terms of people buying dodgy fake goods.

                                        What I really object to is when I buy a legit DVD and then every time
                                        I stick it in the drive I am forced to watch a short piece about how
                                        evil copied DVDs are. Great, punish me for having the legit version!

                                        If In 25 years it is the trend for people to gather at venues wher
                                        videoblogs are played on giant screens, would videobloggers think this
                                        was commercial use and that they are entitled to some small cut? Thats
                                        when the issues can get interesting, as otherwise its too easy to side
                                        with freedom.

                                        At this point my own philosophy is settling on the total respect for
                                        whtaever the particular content cretor wants. If theyve signed up to a
                                        system that uses draconian methods, more fool them in the long run. If
                                        they want all media to be free and believe in a true creative commons
                                        of works, then hoorah. If they believe in something else then I'll
                                        respect that too, though I personally have a special place in my heart
                                        for those who want to push freedom further than most.

                                        Cheers

                                        Steve Elbows

                                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bordercollieaustralianshepherd"
                                        <bordercollieaustralianshepherd@...> wrote:

                                        > Eat faster, Drink quick, Move along, nothing to hear here any more.
                                        >
                                        > "Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants
                                        could be sued for playing
                                        > any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.
                                        >
                                        > The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
                                        says that equates to
                                        > performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is
                                        going after local
                                        > businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege."
                                        > more: <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/
                                        > 2003815486_royalty01.html>

                                      • Adam Quirk, Wreck & Salvage
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007

                                          > If In 25 years it is the trend for people to gather at venues wher
                                          > videoblogs are played on giant screens, would videobloggers think this
                                          > was commercial use and that they are entitled to some small cut?

                                          No.

                                          At this point my own philosophy is settling on the total respect for
                                          > whtaever the particular content cretor wants. If theyve signed up to a
                                          > system that uses draconian methods, more fool them in the long run. If
                                          > they want all media to be free and believe in a true creative commons
                                          > of works, then hoorah. If they believe in something else then I'll
                                          > respect that too, though I personally have a special place in my heart
                                          > for those who want to push freedom further than most.

                                          Me too... I have a special place in my heart for those who want to push
                                          anything farther than most. Creativity, freedom, even obscenity (for fuck's
                                          sake). One of the biggest misses in videoblogging is the lack of people
                                          pushing limits, and I don't exclude myself.

                                          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who
                                          really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                                          Hunter S. Thompson

                                          --
                                          Adam Quirk
                                          Wreck & Salvage

                                        • Ron Watson
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                            Perhaps we need a personal information contract that we could supply
                                            to corporations that says ,"You don't own this information, you just
                                            have the rights to use it for your personal records."

                                            If enough of the market were on board, they'd have to deal with it.

                                            I'm tired of them exploiting us.

                                            Cheers,

                                            Ron Watson

                                            Pawsitive Vybe
                                            11659 Berrigan Ave
                                            Cedar Springs, MI 49319
                                            http://pawsitivevybe.com

                                            Personal Contact:
                                            616.802.8923
                                            k9disc@...

                                            On the Web:
                                            http://pawsitivevybe.com
                                            http://k9disc.com
                                            http://k9disc.blip.tv

                                            On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:

> [...]
                                            > of works, then hoorah. If they believe in something else then I'll
                                            > respect that too, though I personally have a special place in my heart
                                            > for those who want to push freedom further than most.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers
                                            >
                                            > Steve Elbows
                                            >
                                            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bordercollieaustralianshepherd"
                                            > <bordercollieaustralianshepherd@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Eat faster, Drink quick, Move along, nothing to hear here any more.
                                            > >
                                            > > "Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants
                                            > could be sued for playing
                                            > > any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.
                                            > >
                                            > > The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
                                            > says that equates to
                                            > > performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is
                                            > going after local
                                            > > businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege."

                                          • Adrian Miles
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                                              around the 1/8/07 Steve Watkins mentioned about [videoblogging] Re:
                                              Hardball legal tactics. Was: The Histor that:
                                              >I dont think its a new law though is it, just another wave of 'make an
                                              >example of them to get others to comply, throw the book at them' type
                                              >stuff?

                                              you're right, old law. as discussed here recently, in Australia this
                                              been the norm for years. Small annual licence fee, the money is
                                              redistributed as royalties to the artists (they do audits of what is
                                              played and bought).

                                              >Added together these sorts of extra costs can make it hard for the
                                              >smaller venues to survive, if they arent too profitable to start with.
                                              >But its something Im sure most businesses are used to paying, I think
                                              >in the UK that most companies accept they have to pay such things, or
                                              >they try to avoid it until they are first approached, and then they
                                              >cough up the moolah rather than having to suffer any further hassle.

                                              here the cost for clubs has just gone up substantially which they're
                                              all upset about, on the other hand if I sell a recording to an
                                              individual for an individual cost and it gets played to a *paying*
                                              audience in a club of 1000, it seems pretty reasonable that the
                                              artist gets a return...

                                              >I dont expect anybody that makes a stand in the courts to win, as I
                                              >think the laws are pretty well established regarding public
                                              >performance rights, but maybe Im wrong.
                                              >
                                              >Like when I was a kid, when they played videos at school the
                                              >smallprint always mentioned that the video was not licensed for
                                              >display at public events, in schools etc. I always wondered if the
                                              >schools paid a blanket fee, or some higher authority covered it on
                                              >their behalf, or whether they were being naughty and ignoring such things.

                                              it is normal practice to buy a different licence for edu use. eg a
                                              film that i can buy for $30 over the counter for home use might be
                                              $300 but I can then show it to a lecture theatre full of students.
                                              same logic as for the music. also why technically you can only
                                              photocopy x% of a book to make available to students.

                                              we can complain about it, or we can make work that is not subject to
                                              these forms of copyright if we wish. :-)
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                                                In a different thread Adam Quirk said:

                                                "I have a special place in my heart for those who want to push
                                                anything farther than most. Creativity, freedom, even obscenity (for
                                                fuck's sake). One of the biggest misses in videoblogging is the lack
                                                of people pushing limits, and I don't exclude myself."

                                                Yes I ponder that a lot all the time. I wanted to do risky stuff but I
                                                struggle because I am a chickenshit, get paranoid, intimidate myself lol.

                                                I have commented not so long ago that a lot of edgy stuff Ive seen in
                                                my life has been on UK television.

                                                But Ive got a few examples of stuff I think is edgy on the net that I
                                                wasnt aware of till recently:

                                                Better Bad News (god knows why I only just saw this amazing stuff)

                                                Pat Condell on Youtube (attacking religions with comic truth, whoa)

                                                I dont know if its harder to stumble over the edge these days, maybe I
                                                am looking for the wrong edge. Would Lenny Bruce and Bill Hicks have
                                                been edgy if they were of the vlogging era? Is it harder to be edgy on
                                                the net?

                                                Are conspiracy theory talking heads edgy?

                                                Oh I just dont know, so much of this is about cultural taboo's, we
                                                have seen that comments about Thailands king are definately edgy if
                                                you are vlogging such things in Thailand where he is revered and there
                                                still seem to be widespread belief in that sort of deference and respect.

                                                I suppose a reason to expect more edgy stuff on the net, is that such
                                                things may not traditionalyl get on TV due to financial and legal
                                                risks. So maybe youd expect a floodtide of such stuff on the net
                                                because it doesnt currently suffer those barriers much.

                                                Also I guess its about audience, Janet Jacksons nipple can cause a
                                                storm if it slips out to the masses at a certain time of day,
                                                meanwhile look at whats available on the net.

                                                Cheers

                                                Steve Elbows
                                              • Bill Cammack
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                                                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...> wrote:

                                                  > But Ive got a few examples of stuff I think is edgy on the net that I
                                                  > wasnt aware of till recently:
                                                  >
                                                  > Better Bad News (god knows why I only just saw this amazing stuff)
                                                  >
                                                  > Cheers
                                                  >
                                                  > Steve Elbows

                                                  Yeah... I've TRIED not to laugh at "Better Bad News"
                                                  <http://betterbadnews.blip.tv/>, but I haven't seen an episode of it
                                                  yet where I haven't gotten at least two decent laughs out of it.
                                                  There's obviously a lot of writing work ?improv work? that goes into
                                                  that show.

                                                  --
                                                  billcammack
                                                  http://reelsolid.tv