Re: [videoblogging] FCE question...

  • randulo
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      > I just can't believe that setting the frame size of a project is a "pro"
      > feature. I mean ... that's SERIOUSLY messed up. A $300 editor should be
      > able to set the frame size for Pete's sake.

      I couldn't agree more. All the free software I have and the
      entry-level Premiere elements all allow this.
    • Heath
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        dissent, do I hear dissent.....PC's forever!!!

        ;)

        Rant on brother, rant on.....

        Heath
        http://batmangeek.com
        http://aroundcincinnati.net

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Meade" <meade.dave@...>
        wrote:

        > Well I can compress it down to whatever I want. The final steps
        and final
        > output arent a problem ... I just want to set the frame size of the
        project
        > before I start so that I dont have to resize/distort the source
        material
        > just to then export it down at its original size.
        >
        > I just can't believe that setting the frame size of a project is
        a "pro"
        > feature. I mean ... that's SERIOUSLY messed up. A $300 editor
        should be
        > able to set the frame size for Pete's sake.
        >
        > <<rant>>
        >
        > sigh ... Premier elements is 1/3rd the cost it can set frame size.
        >
        > I also played with LiveType some this weekend ... and while it is a
        very
        > cool/powerful application the workflow to actually use it is MUCH
        more
        > painful than adding a key-frame-able title in Premier elements.
        LiveType
        > may be able to do more, but if you want just a title you can
        > animate/fade/etc ... its just way more difficult than it should be
        IMHO.

        > Anyway ... don't believe the hype that creative things are SO much
        easier
        > and more intuitive on a Mac. :P
        >
        > I'm gonna have to consider now a crazy-expensive editor ... just
        so that I
        > can set a frame size. Pppht. I wonder if apple knows there are
        new mac
        > users who are finding its actually easier to just go back to the PC
        in order
        > to create their movies.
        >
        > <</rant>>
        >

        > On 7/2/07, randulo <spamsucks2005@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > This is a PITA, but with an added step in the workflow (the last
        step,
        > > usually), you can use a format converter to adjust the size.
        There are
        > > many of these for Windoze, but I'm not sure what can do this on a
        Mac.
        > > Doesn't handbrake or hub do this? No, a quick look at hb shows
        it'll
        > > do a lot but from DVD only.
        > >
        > > Take a look here: http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html
        > >
        > > Quite a list, you may find what you need.
        > >
        > > hope this helps
        > >
        > > > On 1 Jul 2007, at 22:21, David Meade wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Isn't there a way to tell FCE, that I'm working on a 320x240
        project?!

        > > > I hope I dont have to spend $1300 just for the ability to set
        the
        > > > size of my
        > > > videos ... that's just crazy talk ... surely apple/mac doesn't
        claim the
        > > > creative higher ground if this is the case.

        > http://www.DavidMeade.com

      • Michael Verdi
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          Hey David,
          I've found that Final Cut Pro isn't very good at editing mpeg4 video
          anyway. What I do is use a setting in Compressor to transcode and
          resize my files to conform to DV. It takes a bit of time but the
          results are pretty good. Most every video that I've done for the last
          year and half has been done that way. Let me know if you need help
          setting that up.

          - Verdi
        • Lan Bui
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            A fast way to transcode MP4 to DV is to use VisualHub. It has a
            preset for DV and you just drag and drop. It is a really nice; we
            used it when we were transcoding all the various formats for
            Pixelodeon. You can drop almost any format and batch convert them to
            almost any other format.

            -Lan
            www.LanBui.com