Re: [videoblogging] FCE question...

  • David Meade
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      Well I can compress it down to whatever I want. The final steps and final
      output arent a problem ... I just want to set the frame size of the project
      before I start so that I dont have to resize/distort the source material
      just to then export it down at its original size.

      I just can't believe that setting the frame size of a project is a "pro"
      feature. I mean ... that's SERIOUSLY messed up. A $300 editor should be
      able to set the frame size for Pete's sake.

      <<rant>>

      sigh ... Premier elements is 1/3rd the cost it can set frame size.

      I also played with LiveType some this weekend ... and while it is a very
      cool/powerful application the workflow to actually use it is MUCH more
      painful than adding a key-frame-able title in Premier elements. LiveType
      may be able to do more, but if you want just a title you can
      animate/fade/etc ... its just way more difficult than it should be IMHO.

      Anyway ... don't believe the hype that creative things are SO much easier
      and more intuitive on a Mac. :P

      I'm gonna have to consider now a crazy-expensive editor ... just so that I
      can set a frame size. Pppht. I wonder if apple knows there are new mac
      users who are finding its actually easier to just go back to the PC in order
      to create their movies.

      <</rant>>

      On 7/2/07, randulo <spamsucks2005@...> wrote:

      > This is a PITA, but with an added step in the workflow (the last step,
      > usually), you can use a format converter to adjust the size. There are
      > many of these for Windoze, but I'm not sure what can do this on a Mac.
      > Doesn't handbrake or hub do this? No, a quick look at hb shows it'll
      > do a lot but from DVD only.
      >
      > Take a look here: http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html
      >
      > Quite a list, you may find what you need.
      >
      > hope this helps
      >
      > > On 1 Jul 2007, at 22:21, David Meade wrote:
      > >
      > > Isn't there a way to tell FCE, that I'm working on a 320x240 project?!
      > >
      > > I hope I dont have to spend $1300 just for the ability to set the
      > > size of my
      > > videos ... that's just crazy talk ... surely apple/mac doesn't claim the
      > > creative higher ground if this is the case.

      http://www.DavidMeade.com

    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        Don't doubt it, dude.
        These bastards are all about stripping out the simple things so that
        you want to upgrade (instead of *having* to upgrade). You probably
        heard me bitching about this on Twitter, but another example of this
        is the Mail program that replaces Outlook Express in Vista - it won't
        remember more than the last 13 email addresses in the To: box, so
        that standard feature of typing the first couple of letters of an
        address and having it autocomplete is GONE - all in the name of
        persuading people to upgrade to Outlook. Call that a Pro
        feature...? I don't think so, but what are you gonna do? Apple are
        as mercenary as MS now, if not more.

        What you could do is import your videos into iMovie at iSight or
        MPEG4 setting - which will blow them up to 640x480 but at least not
        destroy them. Then output to 320x240 - and use a DV camera for FCE...

        As for simple titles in FCE, there is a simple titles feature. In
        the viewer, click the menu at bottom right - you'll see all sorts of
        title and slug options that you can configure in the Settings and
        Motion tabs. Also, there are 3rd party plugins for text from people
        like Boris - I don't know if they work with FCE though. I've never
        used LiveType - it's just too much.

        Rupert

      • randulo
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          > I just can't believe that setting the frame size of a project is a "pro"
          > feature. I mean ... that's SERIOUSLY messed up. A $300 editor should be
          > able to set the frame size for Pete's sake.

          I couldn't agree more. All the free software I have and the
          entry-level Premiere elements all allow this.
        • Heath
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            dissent, do I hear dissent.....PC's forever!!!

            ;)

            Rant on brother, rant on.....

            Heath
            http://batmangeek.com
            http://aroundcincinnati.net

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Meade" <meade.dave@...>
            wrote:

            > Well I can compress it down to whatever I want. The final steps
            and final
            > output arent a problem ... I just want to set the frame size of the
            project
            > before I start so that I dont have to resize/distort the source
            material
            > just to then export it down at its original size.
            >
            > I just can't believe that setting the frame size of a project is
            a "pro"
            > feature. I mean ... that's SERIOUSLY messed up. A $300 editor
            should be
            > able to set the frame size for Pete's sake.
            >
            > <<rant>>
            >
            > sigh ... Premier elements is 1/3rd the cost it can set frame size.
            >
            > I also played with LiveType some this weekend ... and while it is a
            very
            > cool/powerful application the workflow to actually use it is MUCH
            more
            > painful than adding a key-frame-able title in Premier elements.
            LiveType
            > may be able to do more, but if you want just a title you can
            > animate/fade/etc ... its just way more difficult than it should be
            IMHO.

            > Anyway ... don't believe the hype that creative things are SO much
            easier
            > and more intuitive on a Mac. :P
            >
            > I'm gonna have to consider now a crazy-expensive editor ... just
            so that I
            > can set a frame size. Pppht. I wonder if apple knows there are
            new mac
            > users who are finding its actually easier to just go back to the PC
            in order
            > to create their movies.
            >
            > <</rant>>
            >

            > On 7/2/07, randulo <spamsucks2005@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > This is a PITA, but with an added step in the workflow (the last
            step,
            > > usually), you can use a format converter to adjust the size.
            There are
            > > many of these for Windoze, but I'm not sure what can do this on a
            Mac.
            > > Doesn't handbrake or hub do this? No, a quick look at hb shows
            it'll
            > > do a lot but from DVD only.
            > >
            > > Take a look here: http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html
            > >
            > > Quite a list, you may find what you need.
            > >
            > > hope this helps
            > >
            > > > On 1 Jul 2007, at 22:21, David Meade wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Isn't there a way to tell FCE, that I'm working on a 320x240
            project?!

            > > > I hope I dont have to spend $1300 just for the ability to set
            the
            > > > size of my
            > > > videos ... that's just crazy talk ... surely apple/mac doesn't
            claim the
            > > > creative higher ground if this is the case.

            > http://www.DavidMeade.com

          • Michael Verdi
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
              Hey David,
              I've found that Final Cut Pro isn't very good at editing mpeg4 video
              anyway. What I do is use a setting in Compressor to transcode and
              resize my files to conform to DV. It takes a bit of time but the
              results are pretty good. Most every video that I've done for the last
              year and half has been done that way. Let me know if you need help
              setting that up.

              - Verdi
            • Lan Bui
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                A fast way to transcode MP4 to DV is to use VisualHub. It has a
                preset for DV and you just drag and drop. It is a really nice; we
                used it when we were transcoding all the various formats for
                Pixelodeon. You can drop almost any format and batch convert them to
                almost any other format.

                -Lan
                www.LanBui.com