Low volume on Handheld microphone

  • Jonathan Bloom
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
      I just found one of our old handheld microphones which I went to Radioshack
      and got an adapter for to fit into a microphone jack. The only problem is
      the volume is too low! What can I do to fix this?

      --
      -Jonathan Bloom
      http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com

    • Jan McLaughlin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
        What did you hook the mic up to that the volume was low?

        What kind of handheld mic (make and model)?

        Jan

        On 7/1/07, Jonathan Bloom <jonathan@...> wrote:

        > I just found one of our old handheld microphones which I went to
        > Radioshack
        > and got an adapter for to fit into a microphone jack. The only problem is
        > the volume is too low! What can I do to fix this?
        >
        > --
        > -Jonathan Bloom
        > http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com

        The Faux Press - better than real
        http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
        http://wburg.tv
        http://twitter.com/fauxpress
        aim=janofsound
        air=862.221.5280
        skype=janmclaughlin

      • John Cardenas
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
          invitation to watch mty latest -uploaded video

          love-natural instinct

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTd2hpt3R1c

          regards from a swimming pool

          John C

        • Jonathan Bloom
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
            It's hooked into my mac using the mic input and I've tried turning up the
            input volume and the gain.
            The microphone is a TAKY UDM-606L

            On 7/1/07, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:

            > What did you hook the mic up to that the volume was low?
            >
            > What kind of handheld mic (make and model)?
            >
            > Jan
            >

            > On 7/1/07, Jonathan Bloom <jonathan@...<jonathan%40thenameiwantedwastaken.com>>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I just found one of our old handheld microphones which I went to
            > > Radioshack
            > > and got an adapter for to fit into a microphone jack. The only problem
            > is
            > > the volume is too low! What can I do to fix this?
            > >
            > > --
            > > -Jonathan Bloom
            > > http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com

            > The Faux Press - better than real
            > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
            > http://wburg.tv
            > http://twitter.com/fauxpress
            > aim=janofsound
            > air=862.221.5280
            > skype=janmclaughlin

            -Jonathan Bloom
            http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com

          • ryanne hodson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
              would it be a line vs mic input issue?
              i know i've had that issue before
              someone hooking in a mic to that jack, but the jack is line which needs a
              more powerful signal...
              or am i totally wrong?
              something like that

              On 7/2/07, Jonathan Bloom <jonathan@...> wrote:

              > It's hooked into my mac using the mic input and I've tried turning up
              > the
              > input volume and the gain.
              > The microphone is a TAKY UDM-606L
              >
              > On 7/1/07, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@... <jannie.jan%40gmail.com>>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > What did you hook the mic up to that the volume was low?
              > >
              > > What kind of handheld mic (make and model)?
              > >
              > > Jan
              > >

              > > On 7/1/07, Jonathan Bloom <jonathan@...<jonathan%40thenameiwantedwastaken.com>
              > <jonathan%40thenameiwantedwastaken.com>>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I just found one of our old handheld microphones which I went to
              > > > Radioshack
              > > > and got an adapter for to fit into a microphone jack. The only problem
              > > is
              > > > the volume is too low! What can I do to fix this?
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > -Jonathan Bloom
              > > > http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > > >

              > > --
              > > The Faux Press - better than real
              > > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
              > > http://wburg.tv
              > > http://twitter.com/fauxpress
              > > aim=janofsound
              > > air=862.221.5280
              > > skype=janmclaughlin

              > -Jonathan Bloom
              > http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com

              http://tinyurl.com/yq63qk
              Pixelodeon-Kicked Butt!
              --
              Author of Secrets of Videoblogging ---->http://tinyurl.com/me4vs
              Me ----> http://RyanEdit.com, http://RyanIsHungry.com

            • randulo
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
                On 7/2/07, Jonathan Bloom <jonathan@...> wrote:
                > It's hooked into my mac using the mic input and I've tried turning up the
                > input volume and the gain.
                > The microphone is a TAKY UDM-606L

                Ah, I learned the hard way, if this is a MacBook the input is line
                level, a mic won't drive it. A PC headset won't work on the MacBook
                for example. I don't know if a regular Mac (what model) has a mic
                input. So if that's the case, you'll need a preamp or an amplified
                mic.

                hth

                /r
              • Tom Gosse
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
                  It sounds like an impedance mismatch. Which is basically what the line vs.
                  mic input issue is all about. The fact that you used an adapter also
                  makes me think that.

                  Questions:

                  * Is the impedance marked on the microphone? It should be marked as
                  ohms (Ω).
                  * What are you plugging it in to? Camcorder?
                  * Does the manual for your input device tell you what the mic
                  impedance is?

                  Older cameras had a high impedance input. This is in the range of 600 -
                  1500 Ω. Newer cameras have a microphone impedance of 100 - 600 Ω. If
                  you have a mismatch you need to get a transformer to use the microphone.

                  Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
                  hermit@...
                  www.irishhermit.com
                  _____

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
                    Replying to my own post, I just realized that you wrote that you were
                    plugging into a mac mic input. Most likely a low impedance input. I
                    looked up the TAKY UDM606L on google and found a listing on Craig’s List
                    for one. That listing read, “600 Impedance”. If that means 600 Ohms (a
                    standard for microphones) that’s your problem. You want a High Z to Low Z
                    transformer so that you can use it with a Low Z input. Double check you
                    mac manual for info on the input impedance. By the way, Z in a symbol for
                    impedance.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
                    hermit@...