FCE question...

  • David Meade
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
      ok so I have a mac now and am learning Final Cut Express (FCE). Overall its
      similar to how I would be using Premier Elements on the PC, however there is
      one big problem with FCE and I'm hoping someone here can offer a solution.

      Note: I also got the "One To One" training thing from the apple store, and
      have at one such session asked about this. The guy - although he did try
      admirably to find a way to do it - ended up saying "well I guess you can
      only do that in Final Cut Pro" (FCP).

      Here's the thing ...

      In FCE, you have these "easy setup" options. They setup the project with
      settings such as: 720x480 NTSC. In FCP, you can apparently create your own
      "custom" setup profiles. In FCE ... I can't find a way to do that. My
      digital still camera saves to 320x240 (square pixel). I'd like to find a
      way to setup the FCE project/workspace for these settings as needed.

      Isn't there a way to tell FCE, that I'm working on a 320x240 project?!

      I hope I dont have to spend $1300 just for the ability to set the size of my
      videos ... that's just crazy talk ... surely apple/mac doesn't claim the
      creative higher ground if this is the case.

      Thanks in advance,
      - Dave

      --
      http://www.DavidMeade.com

    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        No. That's why it's E and not P. E just handles DV. Not many
        differences between Express and Pro for the casual user - but that's
        one of them.
        Since you don't need the full power of the latest Final Cut Studio,
        you could try to get hold of a second hand copy of an earlier version
        of FCP. Also, I understand that (shockingly) some people actually
        use illegal pirate copies of FCP4 or 3 or 2 all of which do most of
        the things that FCE does and more.

        On 1 Jul 2007, at 22:21, David Meade wrote:

[...]

      • randulo
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          This is a PITA, but with an added step in the workflow (the last step,
          usually), you can use a format converter to adjust the size. There are
          many of these for Windoze, but I'm not sure what can do this on a Mac.
          Doesn't handbrake or hub do this? No, a quick look at hb shows it'll
          do a lot but from DVD only.

          Take a look here: http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html

          Quite a list, you may find what you need.

          hope this helps

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            Well I can compress it down to whatever I want. The final steps and final
            output arent a problem ... I just want to set the frame size of the project
            before I start so that I dont have to resize/distort the source material
            just to then export it down at its original size.

            I just can't believe that setting the frame size of a project is a "pro"
            feature. I mean ... that's SERIOUSLY messed up. A $300 editor should be
            able to set the frame size for Pete's sake.

            <<rant>>

            sigh ... Premier elements is 1/3rd the cost it can set frame size.

            I also played with LiveType some this weekend ... and while it is a very
            cool/powerful application the workflow to actually use it is MUCH more
            painful than adding a key-frame-able title in Premier elements. LiveType
            may be able to do more, but if you want just a title you can
            animate/fade/etc ... its just way more difficult than it should be IMHO.

            Anyway ... don't believe the hype that creative things are SO much easier
            and more intuitive on a Mac. :P

            I'm gonna have to consider now a crazy-expensive editor ... just so that I
            can set a frame size. Pppht. I wonder if apple knows there are new mac
            users who are finding its actually easier to just go back to the PC in order
            to create their movies.

            <</rant>>

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
              Don't doubt it, dude.
              These bastards are all about stripping out the simple things so that
              you want to upgrade (instead of *having* to upgrade). You probably
              heard me bitching about this on Twitter, but another example of this
              is the Mail program that replaces Outlook Express in Vista - it won't
              remember more than the last 13 email addresses in the To: box, so
              that standard feature of typing the first couple of letters of an
              address and having it autocomplete is GONE - all in the name of
              persuading people to upgrade to Outlook. Call that a Pro
              feature...? I don't think so, but what are you gonna do? Apple are
              as mercenary as MS now, if not more.

              What you could do is import your videos into iMovie at iSight or
              MPEG4 setting - which will blow them up to 640x480 but at least not
              destroy them. Then output to 320x240 - and use a DV camera for FCE...

              As for simple titles in FCE, there is a simple titles feature. In
              the viewer, click the menu at bottom right - you'll see all sorts of
              title and slug options that you can configure in the Settings and
              Motion tabs. Also, there are 3rd party plugins for text from people
              like Boris - I don't know if they work with FCE though. I've never
              used LiveType - it's just too much.

              Rupert

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                > I just can't believe that setting the frame size of a project is a "pro"
                > feature. I mean ... that's SERIOUSLY messed up. A $300 editor should be
                > able to set the frame size for Pete's sake.

                I couldn't agree more. All the free software I have and the
                entry-level Premiere elements all allow this.
              • Heath
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                  dissent, do I hear dissent.....PC's forever!!!

                  ;)

                  Rant on brother, rant on.....

                  Heath
                  http://batmangeek.com
                  http://aroundcincinnati.net

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Meade" <meade.dave@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Well I can compress it down to whatever I want. The final steps
                  and final
                  > output arent a problem ... I just want to set the frame size of the
                  project
                  > before I start so that I dont have to resize/distort the source
                  material
                  > just to then export it down at its original size.
                  >
                  > I just can't believe that setting the frame size of a project is
                  a "pro"
                  > feature. I mean ... that's SERIOUSLY messed up. A $300 editor
                  should be
                  > able to set the frame size for Pete's sake.
                  >
                  > <<rant>>
                  >
                  > sigh ... Premier elements is 1/3rd the cost it can set frame size.
                  >
                  > I also played with LiveType some this weekend ... and while it is a
                  very
                  > cool/powerful application the workflow to actually use it is MUCH
                  more
                  > painful than adding a key-frame-able title in Premier elements.
                  LiveType
                  > may be able to do more, but if you want just a title you can
                  > animate/fade/etc ... its just way more difficult than it should be
                  IMHO.

                  > Anyway ... don't believe the hype that creative things are SO much
                  easier
                  > and more intuitive on a Mac. :P
                  >
                  > I'm gonna have to consider now a crazy-expensive editor ... just
                  so that I
                  > can set a frame size. Pppht. I wonder if apple knows there are
                  new mac
                  > users who are finding its actually easier to just go back to the PC
                  in order
                  > to create their movies.
                  >
                  > <</rant>>
                  >

                  > On 7/2/07, randulo <spamsucks2005@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This is a PITA, but with an added step in the workflow (the last
                  step,
                  > > usually), you can use a format converter to adjust the size.
                  There are
                  > > many of these for Windoze, but I'm not sure what can do this on a
                  Mac.
                  > > Doesn't handbrake or hub do this? No, a quick look at hb shows
                  it'll
                  > > do a lot but from DVD only.
                  > >
                  > > Take a look here: http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html
                  > >
                  > > Quite a list, you may find what you need.
                  > >
                  > > hope this helps
                  > >
                  > > > On 1 Jul 2007, at 22:21, David Meade wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Isn't there a way to tell FCE, that I'm working on a 320x240
                  project?!

                  > > > I hope I dont have to spend $1300 just for the ability to set
                  the
                  > > > size of my
                  > > > videos ... that's just crazy talk ... surely apple/mac doesn't
                  claim the
                  > > > creative higher ground if this is the case.

                  > http://www.DavidMeade.com

                • Michael Verdi
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                    Hey David,
                    I've found that Final Cut Pro isn't very good at editing mpeg4 video
                    anyway. What I do is use a setting in Compressor to transcode and
                    resize my files to conform to DV. It takes a bit of time but the
                    results are pretty good. Most every video that I've done for the last
                    year and half has been done that way. Let me know if you need help
                    setting that up.

                    - Verdi
                  • Lan Bui
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                      A fast way to transcode MP4 to DV is to use VisualHub. It has a
                      preset for DV and you just drag and drop. It is a really nice; we
                      used it when we were transcoding all the various formats for
                      Pixelodeon. You can drop almost any format and batch convert them to
                      almost any other format.

                      -Lan
                      www.LanBui.com