videoblog-a-day

  • Jay Dedman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2004
      Okay, I need to give some perspective on this conversation.
      I am not a programmer though I love hearing about people coming up with
      solutions to technical problems.
      What I am good at is using available media tools and teaching them to other
      people(what i do for a living).
      Creativity is difficult enough without having to worry about the tools.

      I have a Typepad account that lets me blog.
      I can upload a video as a file.
      Then Peter wrote some code so I can link the video in my text blog.

      So Steve, you have two separate host accounts?
      one for your blog and the other for your video?
      a good work around that saves bandwidth, but sucks it cant be all in one.

      So starting this sunday, we start the "videoblog-a-day" week.
      Andreas says he'll try to do a feed of our blogs.
      We got three people signed up. Hope others join in.
      Keep it simple. Focus on yourself or the people around you.
      It's going to be cool to see who's out there.

      Then after the week's done, we can see about hacking some better tools
      togther.
      By the way, Drazen (and probably Kenyatta and Eli Chapman and ?)has come up
      with some new plans:
      http://www.open4all.info/wiki/drazen/P2P-TV
      http://www.open4all.info/wiki/drazen/Anybody_Can_be_TV
      These guys have some very progressive and aggressive ideas of how to send
      video around. I'd have to actually see it to understand it.
      Last year, I helped them do a live TV broadcast from a par in Midtown
      Manhattan.
      We used a camcorder and a laptop with a wi-fi connection.
      We sent the feed to the local public access TV station.
      They aired us talking in the park.
      Looked pretty good. Basically doing what it normally takes a satellite truck
      to do.
      My co-workers and I joke about it, but all this is the "bleeding edge" my
      friends.

      Quoting Andreas Haugstrup <videoblog@...>:

      > > Anyone wants to take this on? It would be ideal to automate this
      > > central feed, but that might also be too much work. It'd also be a
      > > good experiment with the pros and cons of various types of feeds...
      >
      > I've been busy thinking about SVG and not videoblogging, but...
      >
      > If everyone has either a SMIL template or an RSS (2.0 only, please) I
      > can parse for timestamp and links I can make a script that
      > creates a xhtml list and a central RSS feed. I have time to get this
      > done Sunday before the American get out of bed. :o)
      > Just send me a link to your RSS feed (with only the videoblog week
      > entries) or SMIL file before 8am CET Sunday (that's... 2am
      > Eastern Time).
      >
      > Disclaimer: I have no idea what a SMIL file looks like, but if it has
      > a link and a timestamp it can't be too hard. :o)
      >
      > - Andreas
      > --
      > Personal: <http://www.solitude.dk>
      > File Thingie - PHP File Manager <http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/>

      Jay Dedman
      Manhattan Neighborhood Network
      537 West 59th (between 10th and 11th Ave)
      NY NY 10019
      www.mnn.org
      212 757 2670
    • Steve Garfield
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 20, 2004
        Yes, I spread my videos around to different servers.

        I could put a video up on TypePad, but wouldn't want it to load each
        time the page is displayed.

        You could link to the video file itself, without any HTML code around
        it, but then you'd loose the ability to give the viewer information
        about the video, with links back to your site.

        That's what I don't want to have happen, people just linking to the
        .mov file and loosing all the information about me and the video.

        --Steve

        On Jun 19, 2004, at 2:18 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

        > So Steve, you have two separate host accounts?
        > one for your blog and the other for your video?
        > a good work around that saves bandwidth, but sucks it cant be all in
        > one.
        --------- [ Please Note ] ---------
        If my email hosting service is rejecting your replies, please give me a
        phone call.

        It's not you, it's them!
      • PeterV
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2004
          We got our posts up. Goooood stuff dudes!

          I linked directly to the logo from here
          http://www.me-tv.org/wakka.php?wakka=VideoBloggingWeek
          Is that ok? I can copy it tomorrow, gotta eat now...

        • PeterV
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2004
            I started a wiki page to capture the different types and classifications
            of videoblog entries.... As always, feel free to add or change!

            http://www.me-tv.org/wakka.php?wakka=TypesOfVideoBlogEntries

            Peter
          • Jay Dedman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 20, 2004
              The videos look good.
              And thanks to andreas for making the link page.
              Peter and I walked around Central Park this afternoon, discussing all the
              boundaries of videoblogging.
              Then i see what people can do.

              I got a confession to make:
              Ive had a blog for awhile now and I just found out about "bookmarklets"
              today. Ive been posting by logging into Typepad and writing out each blog.
              Ridiculous. I'm going to post 5 times a day now.
              We need a videoblogging tool just as simple as a bookmarklet.
              Most people can't really edit video. Or know how to compress video. or write
              code for enclosures.
              You need a simple tool that people click and then walks them through the
              process. Like Peter says, videoblogging must "scale" and be accessible to
              everyone.
              I'm on the hunt for the most forward thinking programmer who can do open
              this door.

              See you tomorrow for day 2 of Videoblog Week.