Re: [videoblogging] Introduction and First questions

  • David Meade
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
      I'm a huge fan of "Premiere Elements". Its about $100 I think. If
      you ask me its the best one out there in that price range (for
      windows).

      The full blown Premiere is more expensive (and has more features).

      Lots of people are fond of Sony Vegas ... I personally don't like it
      but that probably just me.

      As an example here are few videos I made using Premiere Elements:
      http://www.davidmeade.com/archives/22
      http://www.davidmeade.com/archives/30
      http://www.davidmeade.com/archives/45

      - Dave

      On 6/4/07, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
      > > And really, the biggest stumbling for me has been the software. the
      > > only camera I have right now is a Sony DSC-M2, which films in MPEG 4
      > > format, so can anyone recommend what software I could use to edit and
      > > encode it.
      > > The other thing I really want to do is be able to do a voiceover while
      > > watching the video. I want to be able to show the comics pages and pan
      > > over them. while talking out the review of the book. The other thing I
      > > would like to do would be to put in the image, while I'm on camera
      > > like the news does.
      > > I was wondering if anyone had recommendations and/or reviews of what
      > > software would allow me to do all of these things. I think the
      > > Pinnacle 11 plus allows me to do all of this, but if any of you have
      > > experience or a better recommendation, what do you recommend I use?
      >
      > there's a bunch of PC editors on this list who should shout out.
      > Heath?
      > I know Premiere is a good comparison to Mac's Final Cut Pro.

      > Here I am....
      > http://jaydedman.com
      >
      > Check out the latest project:
      > http://pixelodeonfest.com/
      > Webvideo festival this June!!!!

      http://www.DavidMeade.com
    • Heath
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
        Yeah, I wanted to think a bit before I answered, that and my
        son's "nearly losing his finger (s)" adventure, got me sidetracked.

        I use the "light" version of Sony Vegas, but it does not handle mp4,
        unless it is an mp4 .mov extenstion. Otherwise if it is a straight
        mp4 you would have to buy the full version of Vegas which is about
        400 bucks. I had issues with Adobe's version but I hear it's better
        now, and it can handle mp4. If you have Vista on your PC I think the
        new version of Windows movie maker can handle mp4 and that is free
        so...

        Ulead is Ok, but you really don't have a lot of "user" control, it's
        really spoon fed to you, which if you are starting out may be good,
        but you could outgrow it pretty quickly, it depends.

        A lot of programs now will let you try them for 30 days I would just
        start downloading those trial versions, mess around with them, see
        what you like and go from there.

        Heath
        http://batmangeek.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <jay.dedman@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
          As a side note I would stay away from Pinnicle...when it works it's
          great...but it only seems to work about 5% of the time, it crashes a
          lot...at least it did for me and by looking at the forums and user
          feedback on cnet, amazon, etc, I was not alone...

          Heath
          http://batmangeek.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "JM Campbell" <geek4x4@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I just joined this group, so be gentle with the broom handles.
          >
          > Anyways, my name is John Campbell. I do a podcast called Comics
          Radar,
          > fairly obviously (I think) about Comic Books, and because comic
          books
          > are such a visual medium, I've been interested in doing a video
          > version of the podcast. Also I just love playing with tech toys, so
          > that's why I'm here.
          >
          > And really, the biggest stumbling for me has been the software. the
          > only camera I have right now is a Sony DSC-M2, which films in MPEG 4
          > format, so can anyone recommend what software I could use to edit
          and
          > encode it.
          >
          > The other thing I really want to do is be able to do a voiceover
          while
          > watching the video. I want to be able to show the comics pages and
          pan
          > over them. while talking out the review of the book. The other
          thing I
          > would like to do would be to put in the image, while I'm on camera
          > like the news does.
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone had recommendations and/or reviews of what
          > software would allow me to do all of these things. I think the
          > Pinnacle 11 plus allows me to do all of this, but if any of you have
          > experience or a better recommendation, what do you recommend I use?

        • Jarod
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
            If on Vista - and you go with Vegas (full or other I imagine) make
            sure to update. Latest update fixes some compatibility issues when
            launching (still worked, just complained).

            I'll second the staying away from Pinnacle, and I've only used the
            older versions of Ulead which I really didn't care for.

            I use Vegas (although the full is pricey - erm, don't tell wife). It's
            easy for a beginner to lay things out, but has a lot of more advanced
            built in features.

            I also played with Premiere Elements and it did a good job as well.

            Jarod
            http://vlog.8bit-me.com