Re: All the Vlogging News on One Page - Vlog Razor

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 3, 2007
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Iliya Krempeaux"
      <supercanadian@...> wrote:

      > BTW... did you notice I've got the (text) blogs or various vloggers
      > aggregated under "Television Makers"?
      >
      > I'm still trying to get a complete list though (of vloggers' blogs.).
      > Not everyone is on there yet.
      >
      > If anyone wants to point out their (text) blog to me, please do and
      > I'll add you.

      I do this goofy thing where I categorize all text-only posts as "blog"
      and any video posts as "vlog" - so because Wordpress makes an RSS feed
      for every category, my (text) blog is:
      http://www.hummingcrow.com/category/blog/feed/

      I'd be honored to be added and I don't generally write text-only posts
      unless they're vlog-related - like gear reviews or new web tools and such.

      Thanks for doing this - I'm really digging vlograzor!

      Oh, hey, you might consider aggregating news from all the different
      Node101 sites - Verdi and I have been doing that on node101.org and
      node101phoenix.org. We've been calling it "nodenews." I can email you
      my list of feeds for that off-list if you want - just let me know.

      Cheryl
    • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 3, 2007
        Hey Cheryl,

        On 6/3/07, Cheryl <cheryl.colan@...> wrote:

        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Iliya Krempeaux"
        > <supercanadian@...> wrote:
        >
        > > BTW... did you notice I've got the (text) blogs or various vloggers
        > > aggregated under "Television Makers"?
        > >
        > > I'm still trying to get a complete list though (of vloggers' blogs.).
        > > Not everyone is on there yet.
        > >
        > > If anyone wants to point out their (text) blog to me, please do and
        > > I'll add you.
        >
        > I do this goofy thing where I categorize all text-only posts as "blog"
        > and any video posts as "vlog" - so because Wordpress makes an RSS feed
        > for every category, my (text) blog is:
        > http://www.hummingcrow.com/category/blog/feed/
        >
        > I'd be honored to be added and I don't generally write text-only posts
        > unless they're vlog-related - like gear reviews or new web tools and such.

        I've added you.

        > Thanks for doing this - I'm really digging vlograzor!

        I'm glad people are liking it!

        > Oh, hey, you might consider aggregating news from all the different
        > Node101 sites - Verdi and I have been doing that on node101.org and
        > node101phoenix.org. We've been calling it "nodenews." I can email you
        > my list of feeds for that off-list if you want - just let me know.

        I'm working on adding it now.

        One thing though... because node101.org is down... a number of the
        node101 chapter websites are NOT working.

        Do you happen to know the URLs to their feeds? (That way I can add
        them, and when they come back online they'll automatically get
        included.)

        See ya

        --
        Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc. <http://ChangeLog.ca/>

        All the Vlogging News on One Page

        http://vlograzor.com/
      • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 3, 2007
          Hey Devlon,

          Done.

          I've added "Companies" on there under "Television Companies".

          (I also pulled the companies I had under "Television Makers" out of
          there, because they've been moved over.)

          Again... if anyone wants a particular company's blog added, that I
          forgot to add, let me know.

          See ya

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 3, 2007
            Hello Cheryl,

            I've aggregated the Node101'[s whose blogs are working under "Node101 Planet".

            (I'll add the others once they start working again.)

            See ya

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
              <supercanadian@...> wrote:

              > Hello Cheryl,
              >
              > I've aggregated the Node101'[s whose blogs are working under
              "Node101 Planet".

              > (I'll add the others once they start working again.)

              I get the daily digest version of the videoblogging group, so I just
              saw your note about the feeds. Here is the list that I aggregate. I
              included the last update time frame so you can decide whether you
              think the node is active. I would love people to correct me if these
              are wrong or have moved, or I've missed a node, etc:

              Boston Media Makers
              http://bostonmediamakers.wordpress.com/feed/
              updated 3 weeks ago

              Freevlog
              http://feeds.feedburner.com/freevlog/tutorials
              updated 12 days ago

              Bay Area
              http://bayarea.node101.org/atom.xml
              updated 5 months ago

              Grand Rapids
              http://feeds.feedburner.com/Node101GrandRapids
              updated 15 months ago

              NYC
              http://feeds.feedburner.com/Node101Nyc
              updated 9 months ago

              San Antonio
              http://www.node101sanantonio.org/?feed=rss2
              updated 9 months ago

              OC
              http://ocvideoblogging.org/vlog/?feed=rss2
              updated 7 months ago

              Digital Dojo (Ojai)
              http://feeds.feedburner.com/digitaldojo
              updated 2 months ago

              FauxPress (Road Node)
              http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist
              updated 2 weeks ago

              Phoenix
              http://node101phoenix.org/feed/
              updated 2 days ago

              -Cheryl
            • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                Vlog Razor is now syndicating the Vlogger Calendar too.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Hello Cheryl,

                  I've updated the list.

                  Thanks.

                  --
                  Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc. <http://ChangeLog.ca/>

                  All the Vlogging News on One Page

                  http://vlograzor.com/
                • pepa
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                    that's great :)

                    --
                    http://www.istalkr.com/users/pepa

                  • Mike Meiser
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                      Charles. Ever hear of a Planet Planet blog.

                      It's the imspiration for mefeedia's "guides".

                      Basically it's and open source blog platform. it aggregates content
                      from all the feeds you give it into a single page.

                      They're very popular amongst the open source community.

                      One of the most popular is planet debian.

                      http://planet.debian.net/

                      The list of subscriptions is down the right. I swear it's about 300
                      feeds. I can't even count.

                      You can see the influence most clearly at http://videobloggingweek.mefeedia.com/

                      The biggest difference between Planet Planet and your experiment is
                      planet combines it into one big reverse chronological channel so the
                      latest posts are at the top regardless of feed. In your example i have
                      to scan each section for new posts. Not a huge cognitive load, but the
                      more actively you keep up on it the more tedious that can become.

                      it's cool information architecture stuff.

                      Peace,

                      -Mike
                      mmeiser.com/blog
                      mefeedia.com

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                        Hey Mike,

                        Actually... some of those boxes on Vlog Razor are coming from feeds
                        generated from Planet Planet!

                        "Television Makers", "Television Companies", and "Node101 Planet" all
                        are powered by Planet Planet.

                        I'm planning to post the links to them a little after I reorganize
                        them and put some graphics on them.

                        See ya

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                          Cool.

                          So you're using planet planet to make thematic groups of feeds and
                          then displaying those groups on the homepage.

                          We've been experimenting on mefeedia with this while working on post
                          duplicaiton filtration, in case we get videos or feeds that end up
                          coming through the aggregation twice through different sources.

                          I've also been latently experimenting btw, with using RSSfwd to
                          forward many of my blog subscriptions to gmail where I can use gmail's
                          filters on them. Michael Sullivan's idea.

                          Unforetunately haven't had much time to do blog reading lately.
                          However I do find gmail's filters to be superbly useful and do think
                          that both email and RSS feeds benifit from living in the same space. I
                          don't understand why google reader only uses traditional categories
                          when it came out after gmail and gmail's much better filter
                          architecture.

                          I also find that the "headline view" isn't so useful to me. To many
                          headlines are non-descript. I prefer the whole blog post be show so I
                          can scan and read at will. This is the problem both with using gmail
                          as an RSS aggregator and with the your planet implimentation.
                          Headlines only.

                          For example, some dude in your aggregator has blog posts headlined
                          "mmeiser's delicious links for x.x.07" How not useful is that? ;)

                          Peace, mike