Re: Video Blog Wikipedia Entry

  • Enric
    Message 1 of 130 , May 1, 2007
      I think the problem is that net video is a larger container than a
      blog. A flash video container can contain all the capabilities of a
      blog and more indicated by the blip.tv Show Player and others.

      What Steve Garfield states makes sense as capabilities required by net
      video, but not the specific implementation in blog cms systems like
      Wordpress, TypePad, Blogger, etc. In other words, a videoblog is "in
      reverse chronological order and often combine embedded video or a
      video link with supporting text, images, and other metadata." This
      should not be restricted to traditional blogging applications and
      include other implementations of the qualities in YouTube and other
      systems.

      -- Enric
      -======-
      http://cirne.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David King" <davidleeking@...>
      wrote:

      > I'd sorta kinda agree, Steve. Youtube isn't a blog. Yes, it has
      comments and
      > an RSS feed. But youtube, in and of itself, isn't a blog. Just like a
      > MySpace account isn't a blog (though you can use it for that), or
      > blip.tvisn't a blog (though, again, it does have that "show" option).
      >
      > It's a gray area. Here's what I'd say: Youtube is a great place to store
      > video - and you can dump those videos onto a blog. So I'd say that using
      > YouTube to store videos for your vlog is valid (just like using blip is
      > valid).
      >
      > If the definition is "video on a blog" - I think "blog" is generally
      > recognized as a certain thing (blogger, wordpress, etc). And youtube
      isn't
      > one.
      >
      > Does that make sense?
      >
      > --
      > David King
      > davidleeking.com - blog
      > http://davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
      >
      > On 5/1/07, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > To me, videos on YouTube meet the definition of being video on a
      > > blog. They are videos presented in reverse chronological order, with
      > > a way to link to them.
      > >
      > > On May 1, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Michael Verdi wrote:
      > >
      > > > Going with the definition that a
      > > > videoblog is "video on blog" is also a strongly held, personal point
      > > > of view that's been disputed. Using that as the definition
      effectively
      > > > eliminates everything published only on YouTube
      > >
      > > --
      > > Steve Garfield
      > > http://SteveGarfield.com

    • Richard (Show) Hall
      Message 130 of 130 , May 4, 2007
        On 5/3/07, Patrick Delongchamp <pdelongchamp@...> wrote:

        > I know that sources that require subscriptions are heavily discouraged.
        > I've never looked up student newspapers though. I'd say there's a good
        > chance they're ok. You should check it out.

        ... does this mean "The Journal of Experimental Psychology" or "Science" or
        the "New England Journal of Medicine" are discouraged a reliable sources?
        (Since they require a subscription?)

        ... just trying to understand

        ... Richard

        --