Re: [videoblogging] SplashCast -- Letter to Podcasting/Vlogging Communities

  • Steve Garfield
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1 4:02 AM
      Where's the link back to the original blog site or video?

      --
      Steve Garfield
      http://SteveGarfield.com
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1 11:46 AM
        Here is some communication between SplashCast and Todd Cochrane of
        Geek News Central:
        http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/007003.html#comments

        From Todd:
        "I like both Marshall, and Alex but hey guys this is not good in a big
        way. When I click on the channel feed you have created it says "Geek
        News Central Podcast by SplashCast Feed Agent -- SplashCast Channel"
        this is a cheap way of trying to defer the issue you have here. NOT
        ACCEPTABLE

        Every subscriber they get to their new re-purposed feeds is a
        subscriber taken away from my original feed. SplashCast will use those
        subscriber numbers to value their business. Its one thing if I had
        "opted in" but they have created a directory of content producers all
        with hijacked feeds."

        Roxanne

        Here's the other link:
        http://www.splashcastmedia.com/mypodcastnetwork

        --
        Roxanne Darling
        808-384-5554

        http://www.beachwalks.tv
        http://www.barefeetshop.com
        http://www.barefeetstudios.com
        http://www.inthetransition.com
      • ahwfour_1027
        Message 3 of 21 , May 1 1:21 PM
          Jay -- Thanks for the question about Creative Commons, a licensing
          structure that I believe passionately about and an important issue for
          SplashCast to address.

          In our next development phase, starting immediately, SplashCast will
          offer the ability for podcasters/vloggers to claim their feed. By
          claiming their feed, we are exploring how the producer will have the
          ability to add Creative Commons as the licensing for the work.

          Additionally, SplashCast is in development as a network and the model
          for how we sustain the service econmomically is one that we are
          discussing in the broader market. But how to sustain the business?
          This will largely depend on the channel network that grows from
          SplashCast. How that channel network develops will depend on the
          relationshps we build with media producers and how they see the
          platform as a mechanism for helping sustain their livelihood. CC
          lciensing is an important part of that equation.

          Again, thanks for your question.

          Alex Williams
          SplashCast

          <http://www.splashcastmedia.com/mypodcastnetwork> that
          <http://splashcastmedia.com/podcasterfaq/>
          > > , which we hope will answer the questions you may have about how the
          > > SplashCast service will work. We have several new features that
          will be
          > > added, which are addressed in the FAQ.
          >
          > hey alex--
          >
          > a big question i dont see on your FAQ is your view of Creative Commons.
          > how will you help your users respect these licenses that many
          > videobloggers are putting into their videos?
          >
          > If I understand Splashcast correctly...here would be my worry.
          > a user goes to your site and creates a channel.
          > they choose a bunch of videos that they didnt make.
          > This channel can then be displayed on their site as a Streaming
          video widget.
          > The user then puts advertising all over and around the videos.
          > No money, attribution, or anything is shared with the original
          > creators even if there are clear CC licenses defining the use.
          >
          > I know Magnify.net is already doing this....and seems to cut the
          > creators out of the equation.
          > how will Splashcast handle this situation, if ive described it
          correctly.

          > Here I am....
          > http://jaydedman.com
          >
          > Check out the latest project:
          > http://pixelodeonfest.com/
          > Webvideo festival this June!!!!

        • David Howell
          Message 4 of 21 , May 1 1:32 PM
            "SplashCast will offer the ability for podcasters/vloggers to claim
            their feed."

            Oh boy. Here we go again.

            David
            http://www.davidhowellstudios.com

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "ahwfour_1027"
            <ahwfour_1027@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > hey alex--
            > >
            > > a big question i dont see on your FAQ is your view of Creative
            Commons.
            > > how will you help your users respect these licenses that many
            > > videobloggers are putting into their videos?
            > >
            > > If I understand Splashcast correctly...here would be my worry.
            > > a user goes to your site and creates a channel.
            > > they choose a bunch of videos that they didnt make.
            > > This channel can then be displayed on their site as a Streaming
            > video widget.
            > > The user then puts advertising all over and around the videos.
            > > No money, attribution, or anything is shared with the original
            > > creators even if there are clear CC licenses defining the use.
            > >
            > > I know Magnify.net is already doing this....and seems to cut the
            > > creators out of the equation.
            > > how will Splashcast handle this situation, if ive described it

          • David Meade
            Message 5 of 21 , May 1 1:33 PM
              but many feeds have the cc license information embedded already ...
              for me, its included in my feed specifically so that *I* don't have to
              travel with my media and tag its license at every site in the world
              ... I've already included all that information with the syndicated
              media within the feed ...

              should I really have to sign-up/claim a feed just to re-assert the
              license information that is already there?

              http://www.DavidMeade.com
            • ahwfour_1027
              Message 6 of 21 , May 1 1:37 PM
                Links back can be found in the player in the little blue "i"for info
                buttons at the top and bottom left hand side. We are working on making
                the link more visible so there is clear link back for the producer.

                Reiterating what Marshall wrote at Todd Cochrane's blog: "...the RSS
                feed you see when you click RSS button is the feed for the channel
                aggregating all the individual feeds in it. We'll be adding the
                original feed URL to that screen asap when we get home to Portland."

                We are working on this. Thanks for the question.

                Alex Williams
                SplashCast

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:

                > Where's the link back to the original blog site or video?
                >
                > On Apr 30, 2007, at 12:19 PM, ahwfour_1027 wrote:
                >
                > > It is important for us that we keep an open dialogue with
                > > podcasters and
                > > vloggers about the features we are adding and how the service will be
                > > improved in the future for any podcaster, be they producing audio or
                > > video programs.
                >
                > --
                > Steve Garfield
                > http://SteveGarfield.com

              • ahwfour_1027
                Message 7 of 21 , May 1 1:48 PM
                  Hi, Roxanne -- We're working on the issues that Todd has addressed.
                  Please see Marshall's comments on Todd's blog:
                  http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/007003.html. We'll keep
                  everyone posted on the developments underway to address the issues and
                  concerns of the podcasting and vlogging communities.

                  Thanks. Alex.

                  Alex Williams
                  SplashCast

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Roxanne Darling" <okekai@...>

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 1 2:21 PM
                    > but many feeds have the cc license information embedded already ...
                    > for me, its included in my feed specifically so that *I* don't have to
                    > travel with my media and tag its license at every site in the world
                    > ... I've already included all that information with the syndicated
                    > media within the feed ...
                    > should I really have to sign-up/claim a feed just to re-assert the
                    > license information that is already there?

                    this is a perfect point we need to make clear.
                    If you host with CC friendly services like Blip.tv, then your CC
                    license is in your feed.
                    It is machine readable and any commercial service like Splashcast can read it.

                    I also encourage people to add a CC license inside the video as
                    well....like a tag at the end...just to help spread awareness.
                    Including your blog URL in the video is also smart since many sites
                    won't like back to you. It's called "marking your work".
                    http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Marking_work

                    Again, this is not like Hollywood crying that their content is being stolen.
                    Creative Commons is just the logical way that we can all share our
                    content, but still push the exposure many of us want. It also helps
                    people find where things originate from to get better understanding of
                    the source.

                    Once my video go online..i expect anything to happen knowing the
                    chaotic nature of the web.
                    But we should expect commercial services to be better citizens.
                    we want a healthy ecology.

                    personally, I like CC Attribution.
                    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
                    use my videos any way you want, but just give me a link back.
                    Other creators will have their own needs.

                    at least Alex from Splashcast is engaging with this group. +1

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 1 2:22 PM
                      maybe I'm missing it but all i see is this

                      ----------

                      where exactly is the link back?

                      On May 1, 2007, at 4:37 PM, ahwfour_1027 wrote:

                      > Links back can be found in the player in the little blue "i"for info
                      > buttons at the top and bottom left hand side. We are working on making
                      > the link more visible so there is clear link back for the producer.
                      >
                      > Reiterating what Marshall wrote at Todd Cochrane's blog: "...the RSS
                      > feed you see when you click RSS button is the feed for the channel
                      > aggregating all the individual feeds in it. We'll be adding the
                      > original feed URL to that screen asap when we get home to Portland."
                      >
                      > We are working on this. Thanks for the question.
                      >
                      > Alex Williams
                      > SplashCast
                      >

                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Where's the link back to the original blog site or video?
                      >>
                      >> On Apr 30, 2007, at 12:19 PM, ahwfour_1027 wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> It is important for us that we keep an open dialogue with
                      >>> podcasters and
                      >>> vloggers about the features we are adding and how the service
                      >>> will be
                      >>> improved in the future for any podcaster, be they producing audio or
                      >>> video programs.
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >> Steve Garfield
                      >> http://SteveGarfield.com

                      Steve Garfield
                      http://SteveGarfield.com

                      This email is: [ ] publishable [X] ask first [ ] private

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 1 2:31 PM
                        > Hi, Roxanne -- We're working on the issues that Todd has addressed.
                        > Please see Marshall's comments on Todd's blog:
                        > http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/007003.html
                        > We'll keep
                        > everyone posted on the developments underway to address the issues and
                        > concerns of the podcasting and vlogging communities.

                        There's a good conversation over at Todd's blog:
                        http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/007003.html
                        I see Marshall from Splashcast basically said they would get on it.

                        As Todd said:
                        "Like I said I have no issue with my show being listed in the
                        directory, just get the RSS feeds pointed at my Feed and remove
                        references to the hijacked feeds."

                        Mike from Blip wrote a good best practices with the help of the Video
                        Vertigo group:
                        http://videovertigo.org/information/aggregation/
                        Give a clear linkback to the video permalink... and don't hijack the RSS feed.

                        Here I am....
                        http://jaydedman.com

                        Check out the latest project:
                        http://pixelodeonfest.com/
                        Webvideo festival this June!!!!
                      • Steve Watkins
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 1 2:53 PM
                          You've walked right into the middle of a real big issue.

                          This isnt just about one or 2 technical issues with feeds being
                          republished, for example even if you offered no feeds, some people
                          would take issue with the core functionality of your embedded player.

                          See unfortunately theres a common misconception about web 2 user
                          generated content, and blogging, podcasting and videoblogging. There
                          can be an assumption that these sorts of content creators have far
                          more liberal ideas about how their content may be shown and
                          redistributed on the net. But in reality, a lot of these creators are
                          interested in giving more rights to the users of the content, the
                          viewers.

                          But the same technologies that enable such things as subscribing to
                          stuff that is then automatically downloaded, also enables other sites
                          & services & companies to do things with the content. This is the
                          dangerous ground, made especially sensitive by the fact the majority
                          of creators arent reaping in loads of money, so may be extra miffed if
                          they see 3rd parties, services, others, exploiting their work for profit.

                          Now I am usually one of the loud shouters who starts verbally abusing
                          such services & sites for taking liberties with peoples content.
                          Theres been loads of ugly examples, some have made creators feel far
                          more violated than others. Many specific technical remedies have
                          formed part of the solution, most have come to comply a bit more with
                          creators wishes but few have genuinely gone the whole distance.
                          Sometimes it is because they would have no business if they complied
                          fully, or acknowledged that their use of stuff might be a commercial
                          use, and thus exclude to them a bulk of cc-non-commercial content out
                          there.

                          If you are unable to make specific feature changes to make everyone
                          happy, then you may have to consider the opt-in model.

                          Now you offer quite a few different services so it will be easy for me
                          to trip-up in discussing this, but I get quite excited by some of the
                          features you offer. I like the open web with mashups and people being
                          able to make playlists and stuff. In an ideal world Id be happy if
                          most creators hel that view, but I can see why this would not be an
                          ideal world for many creators. One of the big problems is that the
                          videos themselves are often not a self-contained representation of
                          that persons web-publishing efforts. No matter how much we embrace
                          various web gadgets, there is much resistance to the idea that a
                          playlist someones work could be embedded in other sites. There are
                          many good reasons why, but I remain conflicted because I love the
                          elegant simplicity of say a podcast where the creator just wants it to
                          spread any way it can. And services such as yours seem to rely on this
                          stuff being accepted. But it isnt, people still want control, and it
                          feels right for them to want control because of all the leechy ways
                          people have found to exploit their work.

                          You avoid my hate for now because I believe your service actually has
                          potential added value for creators and viewers. In the web & world of
                          my dreams such things would be deeply normal. But we dont live in that
                          world, and its even possible that the corporations will give up on DRM
                          before the little creators give up the right to have some control over
                          how their content is used. Probably they shouldnt give it all up, but
                          it will not be a dead simple path to finding the right balance. Your
                          feed issue is trivial to fix compared to the potential conflict
                          between your embedded players playlist etc abilities and what peopl
                          feel is accaptable. Its a shame, youd probably get no stick at all if
                          your thang was a desktop app, aggregation software can get away with
                          having adverts in the app and nobody seems to moan much, but doing the
                          same thing on a webpage will draw instant flak.

                          Now just like youtube tries to avoid having to take on all
                          responsibility for potential misuse of its service, I dont think you
                          can be fully held accountable for every single potential misuse of
                          your service. But the way Ive read things so far, there arent really
                          any safeguards at all, and the featurelist reads like a wishlist for
                          leeches. You make it easy for users to do all sorts of legitimate
                          things, but you rely on humans to honour any copyright & creative
                          commons isues with reuse of others video etc through your player. So
                          you also make it easy for it to be misued. But then to be fair so does
                          RSS in general, and that doesnt make everyone abandon or crap on RSS.
                          It make people want to add their license terms to their feed, and so
                          some do, but few services bother to read such information properly and
                          do anything intelligent with it.

                          Like I said, it will be a tricky balancing act. I guess you wont want
                          to move to opt-in for all content, as that will decimate your content
                          base. So you'll need to consider having a lengthy debate with the
                          masses to learn more about where concensus lies, and preferably
                          implement quite a few mechnaisms that reassure people and make your
                          service less open to be used to leech peoples feeds wholesale.

                          For example I havent heard many vloggers complain about another site
                          embedding one of their videos on a page, its more when someones entire
                          feed gets ripped off and put into a different context. This clashes
                          badly with your feature that enables people to embed all someones work
                          n a page somewhere, as I said I personally find such things
                          interesting bu they are far from accepted, and the idea of such things
                          fills many with dread due in part to bad experiences with adversiting
                          & exploitation ruining it for all concerned. I hazard a guess that
                          people would be more inclined to consider such things if there were a
                          non-commercial internet that was clearly defined, where concent could
                          be free from more shackes without running the risk of being exploited
                          so readily.

                          Ahh what a terrible shame, I often waffle in this group about exciting
                          potential for flash players to mix text, video & audio together in
                          interesting ways, and your service seems to do interesting stuff in
                          this regard. But some of those features have led you to this
                          minefield, hope it works out ok.

                          Cheers

                          Steve Elbows

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 1 3:01 PM
                            Just to clarify that Im mostnly talking about their flash player
                            thingy, the feed & direcotry issues should be pretty much the
                            standard, witht he suual fixes that everyone is already talking about.
                            Im probably making things seem more complex anyway, I usually do, and
                            maybe any flash player issues wil also be easily fixable with the same
                            solutions - link back to creator, display of CC info etc.

                            Cheers

                            Steve Elbows

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 1 8:30 PM
                              Mike Berkley posted more explanation about what we are doing over at
                              the SplashCast blog:
                              http://splashcastmedia.com/addressing-feedback-on-mypodcastnetwork

                              Thanks. Alex.

                              Alex Williams
                              SplashCast

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@...>

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 1 9:01 PM
                                I stilll have NO IDEA how splashcast videos provide links back...

                                "B) how we provide link backs to podcast owners (we do this for
                                video, but not yet audio), and"

                                no idea.

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 1 9:12 PM
                                  So you dont see a link when you click the little blue i icon on this
                                  video?

                                  http://web.splashcast.net/catalog/channel_details.aspx?code=ZPKK9922BJ

                                  Unfortunately when I click the link, it tries to open it in a popup
                                  which firefox is set to block - not a good implementation.

                                  Maybe this feature doesnt work for all videos? Or maybe its browser
                                  issue, what you using?

                                  Splashcast's addressing of the issues seems like a start but I doubt
                                  its quite enough, going by what they've said so far.

                                  Cheers

                                  Steve Elbows

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 1 9:22 PM
                                    I was clicking on the upper left hand "i" which did not provide a
                                    link back.

                                    I didn't even see the lower left hand "i".

                                    It should be included in the the top menu with all the other links...

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 2 10:03 AM
                                      Working on it right now!