SplashCast -- Letter to Podcasting/Vlogging Communities

  • ahwfour_1027
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
      Dear Podcasters/Vloggers:

      Hi, I'm Alex Williams, director of community development at SplashCast
      <http://www.splashcastmedia.com/> . I am also the founder of the Podcast
      Hotel <http://www.podcasthotel.com/> , a small event you may have heard
      of that we just did in San Francisco.

      SplashCast is launching a new feature to its product this week called
      MyPodcastNetwork <http://www.splashcastmedia.com/mypodcastnetwork> that
      allows the video or audio enclosures in any RSS feed to be displayed
      within a SplashCast player on any web page. This will make every page on
      the web an avenue for live distribution of multiple shows, meaning that
      any web page could display the most recent episodes of any audio or
      video program. Additionally, the new feature allows people make their
      own personal channels that they can display on their personal start page
      or aggregator of choice. The result is a new way for podcasters to
      distribute their shows.

      It is important for us that we keep an open dialogue with podcasters and
      vloggers about the features we are adding and how the service will be
      improved in the future for any podcaster, be they producing audio or
      video programs.

      We have created a Podcast FAQ <http://splashcastmedia.com/podcasterfaq/>
      , which we hope will answer the questions you may have about how the
      SplashCast service will work. We have several new features that will be
      added, which are addressed in the FAQ.

      We hope to be ongoing participants in the podcasting and vlogging
      communities so please let us know what you think of the product. It's a
      work in progress that can improve based on community feedback.

      Thank you!

      Alex Williams
      Director of Community Development
      SplashCast
      503-473-6237
      alex@...

      Marshall Kirkpatrick
      Director of Content
      SplashCast
      503-703-1815
      marshall@...

    • Markus Sandy
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
        Hey Alex!

        Good to see you on the list again.

        For those who don't recall, Alex was the guy who hooked us up with the
        Open University and set up the first videoblogging video conferences
        back in 2005.

        (I still remember that one where Canter called Calcanis a facsist)

        Thanks again for setting those up Alex.

        Regards, Markus

        --

        Markus Sandy

        http://feeds.feedburner.com/apperceptions
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/digitaldojo
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/havemoneywillvlog
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/spinflow

      • ahwfour_1027
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
          Thanks, Markus! Good to be back. I am starting my own videoblog
          through SplhasCast. I will be looking for wisdom here on the
          videoblogging list!

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus.sandy@...>

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
            > SplashCast is launching a new feature to its product this week called
            > MyPodcastNetwork <http://www.splashcastmedia.com/mypodcastnetwork> that
            > allows the video or audio enclosures in any RSS feed to be displayed
            > within a SplashCast player on any web page. This will make every page on
            > the web an avenue for live distribution of multiple shows, meaning that
            > any web page could display the most recent episodes of any audio or
            > video program. Additionally, the new feature allows people make their
            > own personal channels that they can display on their personal start page
            > or aggregator of choice. The result is a new way for podcasters to
            > distribute their shows.
            > It is important for us that we keep an open dialogue with podcasters and
            > vloggers about the features we are adding and how the service will be
            > improved in the future for any podcaster, be they producing audio or
            > video programs.
            > We have created a Podcast FAQ <http://splashcastmedia.com/podcasterfaq/>
            > , which we hope will answer the questions you may have about how the
            > SplashCast service will work. We have several new features that will be
            > added, which are addressed in the FAQ.

            hey alex--

            a big question i dont see on your FAQ is your view of Creative Commons.
            how will you help your users respect these licenses that many
            videobloggers are putting into their videos?

            If I understand Splashcast correctly...here would be my worry.
            a user goes to your site and creates a channel.
            they choose a bunch of videos that they didnt make.
            This channel can then be displayed on their site as a Streaming video widget.
            The user then puts advertising all over and around the videos.
            No money, attribution, or anything is shared with the original
            creators even if there are clear CC licenses defining the use.

            I know Magnify.net is already doing this....and seems to cut the
            creators out of the equation.
            how will Splashcast handle this situation, if ive described it correctly.

            Here I am....
            http://jaydedman.com

            Check out the latest project:
            http://pixelodeonfest.com/
            Webvideo festival this June!!!!
          • Steve Garfield
            Message 5 of 21 , May 1, 2007
              Where's the link back to the original blog site or video?

              --
              Steve Garfield
              http://SteveGarfield.com
              Message 6 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                Here is some communication between SplashCast and Todd Cochrane of
                Geek News Central:
                http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/007003.html#comments

                From Todd:
                "I like both Marshall, and Alex but hey guys this is not good in a big
                way. When I click on the channel feed you have created it says "Geek
                News Central Podcast by SplashCast Feed Agent -- SplashCast Channel"
                this is a cheap way of trying to defer the issue you have here. NOT
                ACCEPTABLE

                Every subscriber they get to their new re-purposed feeds is a
                subscriber taken away from my original feed. SplashCast will use those
                subscriber numbers to value their business. Its one thing if I had
                "opted in" but they have created a directory of content producers all
                with hijacked feeds."

                Roxanne

                Here's the other link:

                --
                Roxanne Darling
                808-384-5554

                http://www.beachwalks.tv
                http://www.barefeetshop.com
                http://www.barefeetstudios.com
                http://www.inthetransition.com
              • ahwfour_1027
                Message 7 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                  Jay -- Thanks for the question about Creative Commons, a licensing
                  structure that I believe passionately about and an important issue for
                  SplashCast to address.

                  In our next development phase, starting immediately, SplashCast will
                  offer the ability for podcasters/vloggers to claim their feed. By
                  claiming their feed, we are exploring how the producer will have the
                  ability to add Creative Commons as the licensing for the work.

                  Additionally, SplashCast is in development as a network and the model
                  for how we sustain the service econmomically is one that we are
                  discussing in the broader market. But how to sustain the business?
                  This will largely depend on the channel network that grows from
                  SplashCast. How that channel network develops will depend on the
                  relationshps we build with media producers and how they see the
                  platform as a mechanism for helping sustain their livelihood. CC
                  lciensing is an important part of that equation.

                  Again, thanks for your question.

                  Alex Williams
                  SplashCast

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                  > > SplashCast is launching a new feature to its product this week called
                  > > MyPodcastNetwork
                  <http://www.splashcastmedia.com/mypodcastnetwork> that
                  > > allows the video or audio enclosures in any RSS feed to be displayed
                  > > within a SplashCast player on any web page. This will make every
                  page on
                  > > the web an avenue for live distribution of multiple shows,
                  meaning that
                  > > any web page could display the most recent episodes of any audio or
                  > > video program. Additionally, the new feature allows people make their
                  > > own personal channels that they can display on their personal
                  start page
                  > > or aggregator of choice. The result is a new way for podcasters to
                  > > distribute their shows.
                  > > It is important for us that we keep an open dialogue with
                  podcasters and
                  > > vloggers about the features we are adding and how the service will be
                  > > improved in the future for any podcaster, be they producing audio or
                  > > video programs.
                  > > We have created a Podcast FAQ
                  <http://splashcastmedia.com/podcasterfaq/>
                  > > , which we hope will answer the questions you may have about how the
                  > > SplashCast service will work. We have several new features that
                  will be
                  > > added, which are addressed in the FAQ.
                  >
                  > hey alex--
                  >
                  > a big question i dont see on your FAQ is your view of Creative Commons.
                  > how will you help your users respect these licenses that many
                  > videobloggers are putting into their videos?
                  >
                  > If I understand Splashcast correctly...here would be my worry.
                  > a user goes to your site and creates a channel.
                  > they choose a bunch of videos that they didnt make.
                  > This channel can then be displayed on their site as a Streaming
                  video widget.
                  > The user then puts advertising all over and around the videos.
                  > No money, attribution, or anything is shared with the original
                  > creators even if there are clear CC licenses defining the use.
                  >
                  > I know Magnify.net is already doing this....and seems to cut the
                  > creators out of the equation.
                  > how will Splashcast handle this situation, if ive described it
                  correctly.

                  > Here I am....
                  > http://jaydedman.com
                  >
                  > Check out the latest project:
                  > http://pixelodeonfest.com/
                  > Webvideo festival this June!!!!

                • David Howell
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                    "SplashCast will offer the ability for podcasters/vloggers to claim
                    their feed."

                    Oh boy. Here we go again.

                    David
                    http://www.davidhowellstudios.com

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "ahwfour_1027"
                    <ahwfour_1027@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > hey alex--
                    > >
                    > > a big question i dont see on your FAQ is your view of Creative
                    Commons.
                    > > how will you help your users respect these licenses that many
                    > > videobloggers are putting into their videos?
                    > >
                    > > If I understand Splashcast correctly...here would be my worry.
                    > > a user goes to your site and creates a channel.
                    > > they choose a bunch of videos that they didnt make.
                    > > This channel can then be displayed on their site as a Streaming
                    > video widget.
                    > > The user then puts advertising all over and around the videos.
                    > > No money, attribution, or anything is shared with the original
                    > > creators even if there are clear CC licenses defining the use.
                    > >
                    > > I know Magnify.net is already doing this....and seems to cut the
                    > > creators out of the equation.
                    > > how will Splashcast handle this situation, if ive described it

                  • David Meade
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                      but many feeds have the cc license information embedded already ...
                      for me, its included in my feed specifically so that *I* don't have to
                      travel with my media and tag its license at every site in the world
                      ... I've already included all that information with the syndicated
                      media within the feed ...

                      should I really have to sign-up/claim a feed just to re-assert the
                      license information that is already there?

                      http://www.DavidMeade.com
                    • ahwfour_1027
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                        Links back can be found in the player in the little blue "i"for info
                        buttons at the top and bottom left hand side. We are working on making
                        the link more visible so there is clear link back for the producer.

                        Reiterating what Marshall wrote at Todd Cochrane's blog: "...the RSS
                        feed you see when you click RSS button is the feed for the channel
                        aggregating all the individual feeds in it. We'll be adding the
                        original feed URL to that screen asap when we get home to Portland."

                        We are working on this. Thanks for the question.

                        Alex Williams
                        SplashCast

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:

                        > Where's the link back to the original blog site or video?
                        >
                        > On Apr 30, 2007, at 12:19 PM, ahwfour_1027 wrote:
                        >
                        > > It is important for us that we keep an open dialogue with
                        > > podcasters and
                        > > vloggers about the features we are adding and how the service will be
                        > > improved in the future for any podcaster, be they producing audio or
                        > > video programs.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Steve Garfield
                        > http://SteveGarfield.com

                      • ahwfour_1027
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                          Hi, Roxanne -- We're working on the issues that Todd has addressed.
                          Please see Marshall's comments on Todd's blog:
                          http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/007003.html. We'll keep
                          everyone posted on the developments underway to address the issues and
                          concerns of the podcasting and vlogging communities.

                          Thanks. Alex.

                          Alex Williams
                          SplashCast

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Roxanne Darling" <okekai@...>

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                            > but many feeds have the cc license information embedded already ...
                            > for me, its included in my feed specifically so that *I* don't have to
                            > travel with my media and tag its license at every site in the world
                            > ... I've already included all that information with the syndicated
                            > media within the feed ...
                            > should I really have to sign-up/claim a feed just to re-assert the
                            > license information that is already there?

                            this is a perfect point we need to make clear.
                            If you host with CC friendly services like Blip.tv, then your CC
                            license is in your feed.
                            It is machine readable and any commercial service like Splashcast can read it.

                            I also encourage people to add a CC license inside the video as
                            well....like a tag at the end...just to help spread awareness.
                            Including your blog URL in the video is also smart since many sites
                            won't like back to you. It's called "marking your work".
                            http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Marking_work

                            Again, this is not like Hollywood crying that their content is being stolen.
                            Creative Commons is just the logical way that we can all share our
                            content, but still push the exposure many of us want. It also helps
                            people find where things originate from to get better understanding of
                            the source.

                            Once my video go online..i expect anything to happen knowing the
                            chaotic nature of the web.
                            But we should expect commercial services to be better citizens.
                            we want a healthy ecology.

                            personally, I like CC Attribution.
                            http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
                            use my videos any way you want, but just give me a link back.
                            Other creators will have their own needs.

                            at least Alex from Splashcast is engaging with this group. +1

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                              maybe I'm missing it but all i see is this

                              ----------

                              where exactly is the link back?

                              On May 1, 2007, at 4:37 PM, ahwfour_1027 wrote:

                              > Links back can be found in the player in the little blue "i"for info
                              > buttons at the top and bottom left hand side. We are working on making
                              > the link more visible so there is clear link back for the producer.
                              >
                              > Reiterating what Marshall wrote at Todd Cochrane's blog: "...the RSS
                              > feed you see when you click RSS button is the feed for the channel
                              > aggregating all the individual feeds in it. We'll be adding the
                              > original feed URL to that screen asap when we get home to Portland."
                              >
                              > We are working on this. Thanks for the question.
                              >
                              > Alex Williams
                              > SplashCast
                              >

                              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Where's the link back to the original blog site or video?
                              >>
                              >> On Apr 30, 2007, at 12:19 PM, ahwfour_1027 wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> It is important for us that we keep an open dialogue with
                              >>> podcasters and
                              >>> vloggers about the features we are adding and how the service
                              >>> will be
                              >>> improved in the future for any podcaster, be they producing audio or
                              >>> video programs.
                              >>
                              >> --
                              >> Steve Garfield
                              >> http://SteveGarfield.com

                              Steve Garfield
                              http://SteveGarfield.com

                              This email is: [ ] publishable [X] ask first [ ] private

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                                > Hi, Roxanne -- We're working on the issues that Todd has addressed.
                                > Please see Marshall's comments on Todd's blog:
                                > http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/007003.html
                                > We'll keep
                                > everyone posted on the developments underway to address the issues and
                                > concerns of the podcasting and vlogging communities.

                                There's a good conversation over at Todd's blog:
                                http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/007003.html
                                I see Marshall from Splashcast basically said they would get on it.

                                As Todd said:
                                "Like I said I have no issue with my show being listed in the
                                directory, just get the RSS feeds pointed at my Feed and remove
                                references to the hijacked feeds."

                                Mike from Blip wrote a good best practices with the help of the Video
                                Vertigo group:
                                http://videovertigo.org/information/aggregation/
                                Give a clear linkback to the video permalink... and don't hijack the RSS feed.

                                Here I am....
                                http://jaydedman.com

                                Check out the latest project:
                                http://pixelodeonfest.com/
                                Webvideo festival this June!!!!
                              • Steve Watkins
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                                  You've walked right into the middle of a real big issue.

                                  This isnt just about one or 2 technical issues with feeds being
                                  republished, for example even if you offered no feeds, some people
                                  would take issue with the core functionality of your embedded player.

                                  See unfortunately theres a common misconception about web 2 user
                                  generated content, and blogging, podcasting and videoblogging. There
                                  can be an assumption that these sorts of content creators have far
                                  more liberal ideas about how their content may be shown and
                                  redistributed on the net. But in reality, a lot of these creators are
                                  interested in giving more rights to the users of the content, the
                                  viewers.

                                  But the same technologies that enable such things as subscribing to
                                  stuff that is then automatically downloaded, also enables other sites
                                  & services & companies to do things with the content. This is the
                                  dangerous ground, made especially sensitive by the fact the majority
                                  of creators arent reaping in loads of money, so may be extra miffed if
                                  they see 3rd parties, services, others, exploiting their work for profit.

                                  Now I am usually one of the loud shouters who starts verbally abusing
                                  such services & sites for taking liberties with peoples content.
                                  Theres been loads of ugly examples, some have made creators feel far
                                  more violated than others. Many specific technical remedies have
                                  formed part of the solution, most have come to comply a bit more with
                                  creators wishes but few have genuinely gone the whole distance.
                                  Sometimes it is because they would have no business if they complied
                                  fully, or acknowledged that their use of stuff might be a commercial
                                  use, and thus exclude to them a bulk of cc-non-commercial content out
                                  there.

                                  If you are unable to make specific feature changes to make everyone
                                  happy, then you may have to consider the opt-in model.

                                  Now you offer quite a few different services so it will be easy for me
                                  to trip-up in discussing this, but I get quite excited by some of the
                                  features you offer. I like the open web with mashups and people being
                                  able to make playlists and stuff. In an ideal world Id be happy if
                                  most creators hel that view, but I can see why this would not be an
                                  ideal world for many creators. One of the big problems is that the
                                  videos themselves are often not a self-contained representation of
                                  that persons web-publishing efforts. No matter how much we embrace
                                  various web gadgets, there is much resistance to the idea that a
                                  playlist someones work could be embedded in other sites. There are
                                  many good reasons why, but I remain conflicted because I love the
                                  elegant simplicity of say a podcast where the creator just wants it to
                                  spread any way it can. And services such as yours seem to rely on this
                                  stuff being accepted. But it isnt, people still want control, and it
                                  feels right for them to want control because of all the leechy ways
                                  people have found to exploit their work.

                                  You avoid my hate for now because I believe your service actually has
                                  potential added value for creators and viewers. In the web & world of
                                  my dreams such things would be deeply normal. But we dont live in that
                                  world, and its even possible that the corporations will give up on DRM
                                  before the little creators give up the right to have some control over
                                  how their content is used. Probably they shouldnt give it all up, but
                                  it will not be a dead simple path to finding the right balance. Your
                                  feed issue is trivial to fix compared to the potential conflict
                                  between your embedded players playlist etc abilities and what peopl
                                  feel is accaptable. Its a shame, youd probably get no stick at all if
                                  your thang was a desktop app, aggregation software can get away with
                                  having adverts in the app and nobody seems to moan much, but doing the
                                  same thing on a webpage will draw instant flak.

                                  Now just like youtube tries to avoid having to take on all
                                  responsibility for potential misuse of its service, I dont think you
                                  can be fully held accountable for every single potential misuse of
                                  your service. But the way Ive read things so far, there arent really
                                  any safeguards at all, and the featurelist reads like a wishlist for
                                  leeches. You make it easy for users to do all sorts of legitimate
                                  things, but you rely on humans to honour any copyright & creative
                                  commons isues with reuse of others video etc through your player. So
                                  you also make it easy for it to be misued. But then to be fair so does
                                  RSS in general, and that doesnt make everyone abandon or crap on RSS.
                                  It make people want to add their license terms to their feed, and so
                                  some do, but few services bother to read such information properly and
                                  do anything intelligent with it.

                                  Like I said, it will be a tricky balancing act. I guess you wont want
                                  to move to opt-in for all content, as that will decimate your content
                                  base. So you'll need to consider having a lengthy debate with the
                                  masses to learn more about where concensus lies, and preferably
                                  implement quite a few mechnaisms that reassure people and make your
                                  service less open to be used to leech peoples feeds wholesale.

                                  For example I havent heard many vloggers complain about another site
                                  embedding one of their videos on a page, its more when someones entire
                                  feed gets ripped off and put into a different context. This clashes
                                  badly with your feature that enables people to embed all someones work
                                  n a page somewhere, as I said I personally find such things
                                  interesting bu they are far from accepted, and the idea of such things
                                  fills many with dread due in part to bad experiences with adversiting
                                  & exploitation ruining it for all concerned. I hazard a guess that
                                  people would be more inclined to consider such things if there were a
                                  non-commercial internet that was clearly defined, where concent could
                                  be free from more shackes without running the risk of being exploited
                                  so readily.

                                  Ahh what a terrible shame, I often waffle in this group about exciting
                                  potential for flash players to mix text, video & audio together in
                                  interesting ways, and your service seems to do interesting stuff in
                                  this regard. But some of those features have led you to this
                                  minefield, hope it works out ok.

                                  Cheers

                                  Steve Elbows

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                                    Just to clarify that Im mostnly talking about their flash player
                                    thingy, the feed & direcotry issues should be pretty much the
                                    standard, witht he suual fixes that everyone is already talking about.
                                    Im probably making things seem more complex anyway, I usually do, and
                                    maybe any flash player issues wil also be easily fixable with the same
                                    solutions - link back to creator, display of CC info etc.

                                    Cheers

                                    Steve Elbows

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                                      Mike Berkley posted more explanation about what we are doing over at
                                      the SplashCast blog:
                                      http://splashcastmedia.com/addressing-feedback-on-mypodcastnetwork

                                      Thanks. Alex.

                                      Alex Williams
                                      SplashCast

                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@...>

                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                                        I stilll have NO IDEA how splashcast videos provide links back...

                                        "B) how we provide link backs to podcast owners (we do this for
                                        video, but not yet audio), and"

                                        no idea.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                                          So you dont see a link when you click the little blue i icon on this
                                          video?

                                          http://web.splashcast.net/catalog/channel_details.aspx?code=ZPKK9922BJ

                                          Unfortunately when I click the link, it tries to open it in a popup
                                          which firefox is set to block - not a good implementation.

                                          Maybe this feature doesnt work for all videos? Or maybe its browser
                                          issue, what you using?

                                          Splashcast's addressing of the issues seems like a start but I doubt
                                          its quite enough, going by what they've said so far.

                                          Cheers

                                          Steve Elbows

                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 1, 2007
                                            I was clicking on the upper left hand "i" which did not provide a
                                            link back.

                                            I didn't even see the lower left hand "i".

                                            It should be included in the the top menu with all the other links...

                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 2, 2007
                                              Working on it right now!