YouTube / VBW - Thank you Mark Day!

  • Frank Sinton
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2007
      Mark Day reached out to the YouTube audience regarding videoblogging
      week 2007. He has 13K+ subscribers, so hopefully the word will be out!

      http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MarkDayComedy

      All YouTube videos tagged "videobloggingweek2007" should now show up
      at our tracking page:
      http://videobloggingweek.mefeedia.com

      Mark's is the first from YouTube!

      -Frank

      Frank Sinton
      CEO, Mefeedia
      frank@...

      http://www.mefeedia.com - Find, watch, and share great videoblogs
      Our blog: http://mefeedia.com/blog
    • Mark Day
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2007
        Well, don't thank me too much... I plugged it in passing at the end of a
        video about something else entirely.

        I'm at a wedding this weekend and am missing all the meet up fun - oh well.

        If anyone wants to make a "note to self" for '08 (cough, splutter, yes....)
        I would say that, of the people on YouTube who post personal vlog-style
        content (and putting aside anyone's feelings about the people who post
        skateboarding dogs and or leave angry comments...) I suspect that few of
        them are particularly invested in the idea of pushing forward personal-video
        as a medium, so much as simply getting their personal opinons out there
        (compare, say, people who just get on with using their operating system
        versus people who actively advocate for Linux).

        There is, for example, a fairly robust back and forth on YouTube at the
        moment between aethists and - ahem - faith-based video makers. A much more
        lively video conversation than you might imagine if you can't see past the
        skateboarding dogs.....

        That being the case, I'm not sure myself what the "point" of
        videobloggingweek is *to* someone on YouTube. And I'm not saying that in a
        negative way, just in a "well, what's in it for them..." thinking-out-loud
        sort of way... The best I can come up with off the top of my head is "get
        your stuff seen by more people...." (which is, for sure, something a lot of
        YouTube users can relate to....).

        Given that YouTube is an effective platform for the people who use it,
        what's the elevator pitch for '08?

        Just pondering...

        Cheers

        MD
        http://markdaycomedy.blip.tv
        http://www.youtube.com/markdaycomedy

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2007
          Mark,
          Thank you anyway :)
          I don't think vbweek for me is about the tech or the medium. it's
          about the fun and challenge of a load of people all posting at least
          one video per day.
          People love a challenge, and you can rise to the challenge of one-per-
          day as much or as little as you want.
          Personally, the idea of it has freed me from a lot of the self-
          imposed rules I place on myself that stop me posting a lot of the
          stuff I shoot, so vbweek for me is going to be about documenting as
          much of my week as i can in a disposable style via twitter. other
          people will create mini masterpieces every day. and so on.
          but other people will have other views on what it is.

          Rupert
          http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
          http://www.crowdabout.us/fatgirlinohio/myshow/

          On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:52, Mark Day wrote:

[...]

        • Steve Watkins
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
            I'll thank you too much as I see youve posted a whole video about the
            week now:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-X7lNsaOU

            So...

            thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,
            thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you!

            Steve Elbows

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Day" <markdaycomedy@...>

          • groups-yahoo-com@mmeiser.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
              Thanks mark,

              We're already taking about 70 videos... not bad for the first day and
              a sunday... I still have yet to post my first video ever.

              Just catching up on the word here on the yahoo group.

              I assume we've decided on a theme? Haven't seen anything yet.

              And Mark... thank you for posting to youtube.. thanks everyone who's
              posted videos so far. Can't wait to watch them all.

              -Mike

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
                Mark, you rock. Nice plug.

                wrote:

                > Well, don't thank me too much... I plugged it in passing at the
                end of a
                > video about something else entirely.
                >
                > I'm at a wedding this weekend and am missing all the meet up fun -
                oh well.

                > If anyone wants to make a "note to self" for '08 (cough, splutter,
                yes....)
                > I would say that, of the people on YouTube who post personal vlog-
                style
                > content (and putting aside anyone's feelings about the people who
                post
                > skateboarding dogs and or leave angry comments...) I suspect that
                few of
                > them are particularly invested in the idea of pushing forward
                personal-video
                > as a medium, so much as simply getting their personal opinons out
                there
                > (compare, say, people who just get on with using their operating
                system
                > versus people who actively advocate for Linux).
                >
                > There is, for example, a fairly robust back and forth on YouTube
                at the
                > moment between aethists and - ahem - faith-based video makers. A
                much more
                > lively video conversation than you might imagine if you can't see
                past the
                > skateboarding dogs.....
                >
                > That being the case, I'm not sure myself what the "point" of
                > videobloggingweek is *to* someone on YouTube. And I'm not saying
                that in a
                > negative way, just in a "well, what's in it for them..."
                thinking-out-loud
                > sort of way... The best I can come up with off the top of my head is
                "get
                > your stuff seen by more people...." (which is, for sure, something a
                lot of
                > YouTube users can relate to....).
                >
                > Given that YouTube is an effective platform for the people who use
                it,
                > what's the elevator pitch for '08?
                >
                > Just pondering...
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > MD
                > http://markdaycomedy.blip.tv
                > http://www.youtube.com/markdaycomedy

              • Jan McLaughlin
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Now THAT was an introduction and invitation if ever I saw one. Whoot.

                  Jan

                  On 4/2/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                  > Mark, you rock. Nice plug.
                  >

                  > On 1 Apr 2007, at 23:14, Steve Watkins wrote:
                  >
                  > I'll thank you too much as I see youve posted a whole video about the
                  > week now:
                  >
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-X7lNsaOU
                  >
                  > So...
                  >
                  > thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,
                  > thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you!
                  >
                  > Steve Elbows
                  >
                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Day" <markdaycomedy@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Well, don't thank me too much... I plugged it in passing at the
                  > end of a
                  > > video about something else entirely.
                  > >
                  > > I'm at a wedding this weekend and am missing all the meet up fun -
                  > oh well.
                  > >
                  > > If anyone wants to make a "note to self" for '08 (cough, splutter,
                  > yes....)
                  > > I would say that, of the people on YouTube who post personal vlog-
                  > style
                  > > content (and putting aside anyone's feelings about the people who
                  > post
                  > > skateboarding dogs and or leave angry comments...) I suspect that
                  > few of
                  > > them are particularly invested in the idea of pushing forward
                  > personal-video
                  > > as a medium, so much as simply getting their personal opinons out
                  > there
                  > > (compare, say, people who just get on with using their operating
                  > system
                  > > versus people who actively advocate for Linux).
                  > >
                  > > There is, for example, a fairly robust back and forth on YouTube
                  > at the
                  > > moment between aethists and - ahem - faith-based video makers. A
                  > much more
                  > > lively video conversation than you might imagine if you can't see
                  > past the
                  > > skateboarding dogs.....
                  > >
                  > > That being the case, I'm not sure myself what the "point" of
                  > > videobloggingweek is *to* someone on YouTube. And I'm not saying
                  > that in a
                  > > negative way, just in a "well, what's in it for them..."
                  > thinking-out-loud
                  > > sort of way... The best I can come up with off the top of my head is
                  > "get
                  > > your stuff seen by more people...." (which is, for sure, something a
                  > lot of
                  > > YouTube users can relate to....).
                  > >
                  > > Given that YouTube is an effective platform for the people who use
                  > it,
                  > > what's the elevator pitch for '08?
                  > >
                  > > Just pondering...
                  > >
                  > > Cheers
                  > >
                  > > MD
                  > > http://markdaycomedy.blip.tv
                  > > http://www.youtube.com/markdaycomedy

                  The Faux Press - better than real
                  http://fauxpress.blogspot.com

                • Steve Garfield
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
                    'A' theme:

                    http://videobloggingweek2007.blogspot.com/2007/03/one-vlogosphere.html

                    One vlogosphere, crossing borders, making new friends.

                    Maybe this years theme... maybe the big issue is all about
                    acknowleging and celebrating all the diverse aspects of videoblogging.

                    Youtube and a thousand different webservices
                    the world wide
                    developing worlds
                    developing vlogging platforms
                    cheap camera's and accessibility
                    cheap tools
                    vlogging as simple as twittering

                    Steve Garfield
                    http://SteveGarfield.com
                  • Steve Garfield
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Greatest YouTube video ever.

                      --
                      Steve Garfield
                      http://SteveGarfield.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
                        I've been using the MeFeedia Videobloggingweek2007 page. I couldn't
                        understand why there seemed to be no comments.

                        I lefty a rave for Mark Day & told a friend I thought I had a "strange
                        sense of humor" because the things I found funny didn't seem too popular.

                        My comment on MeFeedia didn't show up on YouTube.

                        I'm glad to see 27 or more comments were posted on YouTube.

                        I use the MeFeedia page so I don't miss videos posted at sites other
                        than YouTube.

                        I think poeple should check out the MeFeedia aggregation and leave
                        some cpomments there on videos they haven't seen elsewhere. It is
                        nice to have everything collected in one spot.

                        We also should encourage people whose posts we might otherwise miss.

                        I had fun covering the Chocolate Jesus "non-veiling" in NYC for day two.

                        I've been keeping "one day ahead", having posted four videos in three
                        days since I'll be attending PodCamp's opening party and event this
                        coming Friday & Saturday. I can't imagine doing all that without
                        falling a day behind :-)

                        Randolfe (Randy) Wicker
                        Hoboken, NJ (One mile fvrom the center of the known world.)
                        www.RandyWickerReporting.blogspot.com

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:

                        > Greatest YouTube video ever.
                        >

                        > On Apr 1, 2007, at 6:14 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
                        >
                        > > I'll thank you too much as I see youve posted a whole video about the
                        > > week now:
                        > >
                        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-X7lNsaOU
                        > >
                        > > So...
                        >
                        > --
                        > Steve Garfield
                        > http://SteveGarfield.com

                      • Mark Day
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
                          >Posted by: "humancloner1997" rhwicker@...
                          <rhwicker@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20YouTube%20%2F%20VBW%20-%20Thank%20you%20Mark%20Day%21>
                          humancloner1997 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/humancloner1997>>My comment on
                          MeFeedia didn't show up on YouTube.

                          Comments posted on Mefeedia won't show up on a video posted on YouTube, the
                          only way to post a comment on YouTube is on the YouTube interface itself.
                          The technology to post "U SUCK!" remotely simply isn't in place yet....

                          And before anyone gives me a Vloggie for posting my "intro to Videoblogging
                          Week" video, I should point out that I posted it on my markdayresponse
                          account, which is not quite the ratings juggernaut that my markdaycomedy
                          account is (I keep the "comedy" account for my "show" videos, and use the
                          "response" account for response videos and more off the cuff things...)

                          At the same time, if anyone wants to see me have a hot accent face-off with
                          Irina Slutsky on the Vloggies show...

                          http://vloggies.wordpress.com/2007/03/31/accent-throw-down-with-mark-day/

                          Your line, should you chose to accept it, is "bloody foreigners, sneaking
                          over our borders, stealing our vlogs..."

                          Cheers

                          MD

                          http://markdaycomedy.blip.tv
                          http://www.yourtube.com/markdaycomedy