Radical Software in SF & online

  • Steve Rhodes
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2007
      The Radical Software exhibit at CCA in San Francisco closes on
      Saturday (it is open from 11 to 6 pm).

      The name comes from Radical Software, a magazine from the early 70s
      about independent video and video art. all of the issues are online
      at

      http://radicalsoftware.org

      I wish I had checked the exhibit out earlier. I'd go backam but
      I'm out of town til sunday.

      On the second floor, there is an installation with about 8 monitors
      showing hours of videos from the late 60s & early 70s.

      you can see some work similar to what is in the exhibit at

      http://mediaburn.org

      the video quality isn't great and it is best to view in quicktime.

      there is also better quality video of Ant Farm pieces at archive.org

      (just do a search in the moving images section for ant farm)

      People were doing things similar to vlogging then except they used
      portapack cameras to shoot & early public access (and occasionally
      PBS) as well as art & community spaces to distribute.

      they also have a Commodore 64 running a computer game by Timothy
      Leary put out by Electronic Arts in 1984.

      there is also more recent related work.

      details at
      http://www.wattis.org/exhibitions/2006/software/

      I uploaded a few crappy treo photos to flickr.

      --
      Steve Rhodes

      http://ari.typepad.com

      http://tigerbeat.vox.com blogs