Re: [videoblogging] Youtube / vbweek07

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 30, 2007
      Hi Pat,
      Sorry you thought I was adopting an anti-Youtube stance. The whole
      point of my email was the opposite of that.
      I was posting my reaction to a conversation on Twitter in which it
      was suggested that this group discriminated against Youtube, and I
      tried to make clear that I thought this wasn't true.
      And the reason I was asking for others to step in (rather than doing
      it myself) is because I have no Youtube presence, and the few videos
      I've posted on Youtube have got very few (low triple figure) views
      because they were boring probably, so I thought it would make more
      sense to ask someone who had lots of Youtube subscribers to speak to
      them, given the time available. I wanted to *include* more Youtube
      viewers.
      I've valued your contributions to this group as a vocal Youtube user,
      and watched some of your embedded flvs on different vlogs. Sorry if
      you thought I was anti - quite the opposite. Maybe I just need to
      be more succinct!

      Rupert
      http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
      http://www.crowdabout.us/fatgirlinohio/myshow/

      On 30 Mar 2007, at 19:14, Patrick Cook wrote:

      Hi everyone:

      On 25 Mar 2007 16:21:13 -0700, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

      > So I just interrupted an interesting conversation on Twitter about
      > whether this group is discriminating against the millions of
      > YouTubers - are we informing them about videobloggingweek07?

      I can post a message on the videobloggers group on YouTube without a
      problem. In fact, SO CAN YOU -
      http://www.youtube.com/group/videoblogging2 - *Hint....Hint* :D

      > Obviously, they can tag their videos, but do any of them even know
      > about it? The thrust of the question was, do we have an attitude of
      > If It's Not Here, It's Not Real?

      WTF is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to say that simply
      because some people prefer to use Flash as opposed to downloadable
      formats such as MP4 that those people aren't really videoblogging? If
      so, you have A LOT to learn about what we do then.

      > I said I didn't think most people had that attitude - but it seemed
      > to me that rather than it being about us rejecting youtubers, that
      > it's more a question of most youtubers not being interested in what
      > we do because the idea of this forum is irrelevant to them. they
      > have their tech needs taken care of, and they have brand identity &
      > loyalty that gets in the way of them wanting to be part of a group of
      > independent videobloggers.

      If that's true then why is it that, as pointed out earlier, places
      such as MeFeedia and even PodShow are LOADED with videos done in
      Flash?

      Or is seeing that just a figment of my imagination?

      > so my point was that the "discrimination" (for want of a better word)
      > is on their part. but actually maybe it cuts both ways.

      Who's the "their" you keep referring to?

      Look, if you're feeling "discriminated" or whatever, then do us a
      favor - SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. I for one DO NOT feel "discriminated" and
      don't like other people telling the rest of the world just how I feel.

      If I need someone to advocate for me on my behalf, I have RL friends
      and family who can do that quite nicely. I don't need a stranger like
      you doing it for me.

      Sorry if I'm coming across rather crass BUT....

      > we say we're open to them, but actually we know that the majority of
      > what's discussed here is academic or alien to them and so they won't
      > join in. we don't reach out to them, we just let it lie. a sin of
      > omission, rather than commission.

      Which is why I created the videobloggers group on YouTube. If you're
      stupid enough to not join it, then who's fault is that? Not mine or
      anyone else's.

      > there are 43 videos tagged for videobloggingweek06 on the whole of
      > Youtube. Nothing for 07 under any variety of searches, and it's just
      > a few days away. Josh Leo, you are a YouTube hero and VB week
      > promoter... can you trail it to your zillion viewers?? :-)
      >
      > surely it's too big a pool of people to not reach out to?

      And just how long or how much effort would it take for you to do the
      job yourself? Sometimes you just gotta take the initiative, ya know?

      Just my opinion

      Cheers :D

      --
      Pat Cook