Re: Dammit- What am I doing wrong?

  • Steve Watkins
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
      I agree with Schlomo's advice to use Mpeg Streamclip, its great for
      converting various sorts of mpegs, can be very useful if working with
      native hdv mpeg2 transport streams for example, though this is needed
      les these days since more editors support hdv.

      I dont quite agree with his explanation of whats caused your problem
      though. Demuxing audio is definately needed but if your stuff is out
      of sync, its not a question of VisualHub failing to do that, but
      rather making a mess of doing it.

      This could be because of some bug in VisualHub or it could be due to a
      quirk in the sony mpeg format from that camera, or it could be due to
      a mistake with settings. For example if the framerate of your original
      footage is not the same as what its getting converted to, this could
      caause audio sync issues. If visualhub is reading the sony mpeg file
      and is being told the wrong framerate or audio sample rate of the mpeg
      file, this could also cause the problem. Either way its probably
      easiest to try Mpeg Steamclip instead, depends how much 'fun' it is to
      explore the root cause.

      Which camera is it out of interest?

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "schlomo rabinowitz"
      <schlomo@...> wrote:

      > Hey Chris
      >
      > You have to demux the audio... basically, on those little cameras,
      they slam
      > the audio and the video track together. this makes your editor
      think there
      > is no audio...
      >
      > So use MPEG Streamclip. Its free, and it batch converts!
      >
      > http://www.squared5.com/
      >
      > that should work
      > Schlomo
      > http://schlomolog.blogspot.com
      > http://webshots.com/is/spotlight
      > http://hatfactory.net
      > http://evilvlog.com
      >

      > On 3/1/07, [chrisbrogan.com] <group@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > So, I'm using a Sony digital camera to shoot video on the video
      > > setting. It comes out as MPG format. Mac's hate MPG, so I'm using
      > > Visual Hub to transform it into DV or MOV format.
      > >
      > > No matter WHAT I do, when it transfers, I lose the audio sync. When I
      > > look at the native MPG file in the little preview window, it's sync-ed
      > > up fine.
      > >
      > > What am I doing wrong?
      > >
      > > --Chris Brogan...
      > > Network2.tv , who otherwise likes the camera.

    • [chrisbrogan.com]
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
        Cool! Thanks, Schlomo. Turns out, I downloaded that (MPEG Streamclip)
        a few weeks ago, and didn't use it. I'll give it a go. -- Chris...

        --Chris Brogan...
        Network2.tv
      • [chrisbrogan.com]
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
          Thanks EVERYONE, because MPEG Streamclip cleaned it up stupid-easy. It
          made the file a little fatter, so I'm smooshing it back down in iMovie
          to see if that finishes it up nicely, but the lips match the audio,
          which is helpful.

          The camera, to answer yourself Mr. Steve Elbows, is the Sony DSC-T9

          Thanks again,

          --Chris Brogan...
          network2.tv
          (we're giving away $25,000)
        • Steve Watkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
            Thanks for the info. The spec of the video is as follows, framerates
            seem slightly non-standard so that might explain why some apps didnt
            handle sync properly, not that it matters now as you've got a solution
            that works:

            MPEG Movie Mode: MPEG VX Fine (640 X 480, 30 fps) with Audio, (MPEG VX
            Fine Requires Memory Stick PRO¬ô media) MPEG VX Standard (640 X 480,
            16.6 fps) with Audio, Video Mail (160 x 112, 8.3fps) with Audio

            Cheers

            Steve Elbows
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "[chrisbrogan.com]" <group@...>