old Vloggercon t-shirts

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2007
      Ryanne and I are moving to another apartment soon...and I still have
      like 50 shirts from Vloggercon 2006. Most of them are smallish girl
      shirts.

      Anyone want them?

      jay

      --
      Here I am....
      http://jaydedman.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
        Jay: I'd love to send them over to Cambodia ... small girl sizes are
        perfect .... I can get them distributed via street kids or at the village
        school or one of our orphanages. I can cover the postage across from to me
        - and I'll get them to Cambodia later this spring. B.

        _____

        Ryanne and I are moving to another apartment soon...and I still have
        like 50 shirts from Vloggercon 2006. Most of them are smallish girl
        shirts.

        Anyone want them?

        jay

        --
        Here I am....
        http://jaydedman. <http://jaydedman.com> com

      • Jan McLaughlin
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
          Wow - that's sooo cool Beth.

          Don't suppose we could arrange a group photograph when they arrive?

          Would love to see that. Is it rude to think in terms of how great such an
          image would be to promote Vloggercon 200_ ?

          Vlog on.

          Jan

          On 2/27/07, Beth Kanter <beth@...> wrote:

          > Jay: I'd love to send them over to Cambodia ... small girl sizes are
          > perfect .... I can get them distributed via street kids or at the village
          > school or one of our orphanages. I can cover the postage across from to
          > me
          > - and I'll get them to Cambodia later this spring. B.
          >
          > _____

          The Faux Press - better than real
          http://fauxpress.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
            > Jay: I'd love to send them over to Cambodia ... small girl sizes are
            > perfect .... I can get them distributed via street kids or at the village
            > school or one of our orphanages. I can cover the postage across from to me
            > - and I'll get them to Cambodia later this spring. B.

            Unless anyone else asks for a shirt soon...
            send me your address offlist.
            They're yours.

            as Jan says...we'd love a photo out of the deal....

            Here I am....
            http://jaydedman.com
          • Beth Kanter
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
              absolutely -- we're good at taking photos of donations
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambodia4kidsorg/389087342/

              _____

              On 2/27/07, Beth Kanter <beth@bethkanter. <mailto:beth%40bethkanter.org>
              org> wrote:

              > Jay: I'd love to send them over to Cambodia ... small girl sizes are
              > perfect .... I can get them distributed via street kids or at the village
              > school or one of our orphanages. I can cover the postage across from to
              > me
              > - and I'll get them to Cambodia later this spring. B.
              >
              > _____
              >
              > From: videoblogging@ <mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com [mailto:videoblogging@
              > Ryanne and I are moving to another apartment soon...and I still have
              > like 50 shirts from Vloggercon 2006. Most of them are smallish girl
              > shirts.
              >
              > Anyone want them?
              >
              > jay
              >
              > --
              > Here I am....
              > http://jaydedman. <http://jaydedman. <http://jaydedman.com> com> com

              The Faux Press - better than real
              http://fauxpress. <http://fauxpress.blogspot.com> blogspot.com

            • R. Kristiansen
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
                Hey all,

                Am I the only one who finds this just a Bit distasteful? To send a bunch of
                branded t-shirts to Cambodia because our geeky females didn't take all of
                them last summer in San Francisco?

                And then to ask for a picture to top it off? How are they to respond to
                this? "Ooh, the nice people in America have sent us t-shirts about
                videoblogging. Let's smile for the Americans"?

                This is really making me upset.

                IF we are going to send VloggerCon t-shirts to poor non-Caucasians in
                Cambodia, we might just as well Really get involved there. Get involved with
                their local community. Find ways that we as privileged westerners can really
                help. Just sending them 50 t-shirts because we can't find ways to distribute
                them among ourselves feels wrong.

                If we at all care about youth in Cambodia (and I am Not saying that Beth
                Kanter doesn't care), we should get involved, try to do something, maybe set
                up a project a la http://swajana.com/ where we can give them a chance to put
                their voice out there. Give us Their perspective on life.

                Give them a voice amplifier. Don't give them a frigging t-shirt and let them
                smile to the camera so we can tell ourselves and each other how
                international we are as a vlogosphere.

                Am I off track here? :)

                best,

                Raymond M. Kristiansen

                On 2/27/07, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                > > Jay: I'd love to send them over to Cambodia ... small girl sizes are
                > > perfect .... I can get them distributed via street kids or at the
                > village
                > > school or one of our orphanages. I can cover the postage across from to
                > me
                > > - and I'll get them to Cambodia later this spring. B.
                >
                > Unless anyone else asks for a shirt soon...
                > send me your address offlist.
                > They're yours.
                >
                > as Jan says...we'd love a photo out of the deal....

                > Here I am....
                > http://jaydedman.com

              • Bill Cammack
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
                  :D

                  Is this a joke? I mean, really? :D

                  Did you notice that the name of the poster you're responding to is Jay
                  Dedman, which is the same name that's on the "about" page
                  <http://swajana.com/about/> of the very site you quoted as an example
                  of what TO do in other countries? hahahahaha

                  wow :D

                  --
                  Bill C.
                  http://ReelSolid.TV

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen" <raymondmk@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hey all,
                  >
                  > Am I the only one who finds this just a Bit distasteful? To send a
                  bunch of
                  > branded t-shirts to Cambodia because our geeky females didn't take
                  all of
                  > them last summer in San Francisco?
                  >
                  > And then to ask for a picture to top it off? How are they to respond to
                  > this? "Ooh, the nice people in America have sent us t-shirts about
                  > videoblogging. Let's smile for the Americans"?
                  >
                  > This is really making me upset.
                  >
                  > IF we are going to send VloggerCon t-shirts to poor non-Caucasians in
                  > Cambodia, we might just as well Really get involved there. Get
                  involved with
                  > their local community. Find ways that we as privileged westerners
                  can really
                  > help. Just sending them 50 t-shirts because we can't find ways to
                  distribute
                  > them among ourselves feels wrong.
                  >
                  > If we at all care about youth in Cambodia (and I am Not saying that Beth
                  > Kanter doesn't care), we should get involved, try to do something,
                  maybe set
                  > up a project a la http://swajana.com/ where we can give them a
                  chance to put
                  > their voice out there. Give us Their perspective on life.
                  >
                  > Give them a voice amplifier. Don't give them a frigging t-shirt and
                  let them
                  > smile to the camera so we can tell ourselves and each other how
                  > international we are as a vlogosphere.
                  >
                  > Am I off track here? :)
                  >
                  > best,
                  >
                  > Raymond M. Kristiansen
                  >
                  > On 2/27/07, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Jay: I'd love to send them over to Cambodia ... small girl
                  sizes are
                  > > > perfect .... I can get them distributed via street kids or at the
                  > > village
                  > > > school or one of our orphanages. I can cover the postage across
                  from to
                  > > me
                  > > > - and I'll get them to Cambodia later this spring. B.
                  > >
                  > > Unless anyone else asks for a shirt soon...
                  > > send me your address offlist.
                  > > They're yours.
                  > >
                  > > as Jan says...we'd love a photo out of the deal....
                  > >
                  > > Jay
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Here I am....
                  > > http://jaydedman.com

                • Markus Sandy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
                    raynmond,

                    i see your point about the photo. i can live without more of what you
                    describe.

                    on the other hand, if they can use the shirts and someone is willing to
                    get the shirts to them. great. please do.

                    can we do more? absolutely

                    does your email make suggestions how we can? yes and thank you for
                    sharing your passion raymond.

                    does your email address the issue that was raised? no.

                    so now get off our backs my friend and hero :)

                    markus

                    ---
                    Markus Sandy
                    http://feeds.feedburner.com/havemoneywillvlog
                    http://feeds.feedburner.com/apperceptions
                    http://feeds.feedburner.com/digitaldojo
                    http://feeds.feedburner.com/spinflow

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
                      > Am I the only one who finds this just a Bit distasteful? To send a bunch of
                      > branded t-shirts to Cambodia because our geeky females didn't take all of
                      > them last summer in San Francisco?
                      > And then to ask for a picture to top it off? How are they to respond to
                      > this? "Ooh, the nice people in America have sent us t-shirts about
                      > videoblogging. Let's smile for the Americans"?
                      > This is really making me upset
                      > IF we are going to send VloggerCon t-shirts to poor non-Caucasians in
                      > Cambodia, we might just as well Really get involved there. Get involved with
                      > their local community. Find ways that we as privileged westerners can really
                      > help. Just sending them 50 t-shirts because we can't find ways to distribute
                      > them among ourselves feels wrong.
                      > If we at all care about youth in Cambodia (and I am Not saying that Beth
                      > Kanter doesn't care), we should get involved, try to do something, maybe set
                      > up a project a la http://swajana.com/ where we can give them a chance to put
                      > their voice out there. Give us Their perspective on life.
                      > Give them a voice amplifier. Don't give them a frigging t-shirt and let them
                      > smile to the camera so we can tell ourselves and each other how
                      > international we are as a vlogosphere.
                      > Am I off track here? :)

                      i hear you raymond. i guess my asking for a picture could have been in
                      bad taste.
                      none was meant.

                      I think Beth is the best one to answer this question.
                      I certainly am not coming from the perspective that these people in
                      Cambodia are starving and dying and we're giving them t-shirts. these
                      are just people on the other side of the world who Beth knows. Beth?

                      As far as starting a Swajana.com project in cambodia, Beth and I have
                      talked about it offlist.
                      the issue is a couple things: money....equipment...and more
                      importantly, available time of the people in Cambodia who would teach
                      the videoblogging workshops.

                      Raymond, remember when we sent that camera to your friend in nepal?
                      what were the issues that kept him from videoblogging?
                      these issues still exist.

                      this is one reason why we started http://havemoneywillvlog.com
                      often, these projects need money, and champions to invest their time
                      to make it happen.

                      jay

                      --
                      Here I am....
                      http://jaydedman.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
                        A picture of vloggerson shirts on small human beings - better - a vlog of
                        the shirts on human beings.

                        Knew I'd have to defend this idea.

                        So, the picture helps the vlogosphere, the network of people who are doing
                        SHITLOADS of good projects all around the world.

                        SHITLOADS.

                        It helps our image, particularly with a voiceover appropriate to HMWV and
                        its world-wide vlogs, what the world needs in media literacy, or whatever.

                        Something wrong with that?

                        Were we Coca-cola and stealing the Cambodians' groundwater, I'd say, yeah,
                        it's a bit off.

                        The image as described totally supports and represents what the
                        vlogosphere's about.

                        No cognitive dissonance there.

                        Jan

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
                          Hi Raymond,

                          I think you're off track and I'm sorry I didn't provide the whole context.
                          Sending the t-shirts over the Cambodia is only the tip of iceberg of my
                          personal involvement (and that of many volunteers who are connected to the
                          Sharing Foundation) in Cambodia. I am on the board of the Sharing
                          Foundation (http://www.sharingfoundation.org)- an NGO that works in country
                          to provide services to many poor children in Cambodia.

                          Some of the work we do in country:

                          -Support over 1,400 kids for education, from pre-school to college
                          scholarships. This is done mostly in Roteang Village where have reburbished
                          the school buildings (including a building a new library and stocked it lots
                          of books all hand carried over from US and donated by people), a computer
                          school, a state of the art rain water collection system, provided support
                          for teacher salaries and training, school supplies, and school uniforms.
                          We also provide school uniforms to thousands of kids out of the village, in
                          collaboration with an nGO that supports street kids. Many kids in Cambodia
                          can't attend school without a uniform. Through our vocational sewing
                          program where we train and provide employment for young woman who make the
                          uniforms - we distribute thousands of uniforms. I have taught ESL in the
                          village school ...

                          -We're supporting about 20 kids for college now - my family is sponsoring a
                          young woman and I raised the money for her tuitution off my blog earlier
                          this year (http://fundraisingwidget.org

                          -HIV medications and support for pregnant women with aids. We have a
                          program in Phnom Penh that supports young pregnant mothers with HIV. We
                          provide housing and medical care and meds - the meds reduce the transmission
                          of aids. We provide training in hygeine so they can bottle feed the infants
                          without them getting sick.

                          -Farming project - we have a farming project in the village where we provide
                          training and land for 40 of the poorest families. They money they make from
                          selling vegetables help them make a sustainable wage for their families.
                          The "profits" from the extra vegetables sold goes in a micro financing loan
                          pool and we provide housing improvements. This past year we installed state
                          of the arts rain water collection systems in their houses - because the
                          wells had levels of aresenic. This way they get clean and safe water.
                          You can see some photos of the project here:
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambodia4kidsorg/sets/1655610/

                          We also built a project head start in the farm area so the children of the
                          people working in the fields could attend school -
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambodia4kidsorg/sets/272831/

                          -There are like 20 kids we sponsor for College, including Leng Sopharath. I
                          raised money from my blog to support her college -
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambodia4kidsorg/sets/72157594372769597/ --
                          Read the letter from her about how much an education means. You'll also
                          notice that she is wearing a pink t-shirt that someone donated and that was
                          sent to Cambodia.

                          -We run an orphanage in the village -- most of the kids have special needs -
                          aids or other illnesses, At the orphanage, they receive medical care and
                          loving care. You'll see a set of photos below of one child in the
                          orphanage, named Tep Vuthea. (Notice his green t-shirt, I think it is a
                          base ball t-shirt) - Anyway, he also has some talents as an artist. We
                          provided art lessons - he draw illustrations that we made into cards and
                          sold - the money is now his a college fund for him -
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambodia4kidsorg/sets/72057594070960552/

                          Right now we're in the process of organizing project where we will vacinate
                          all the children in the Roteang Village - all 527 of them!

                          -There's many more projects that we do, and I could on and on and on but
                          you get the idea .. We don't just send t-shirts over there ...

                          All the projects are managed by Cambodians in country, thus providing
                          employment. We make regular visits to oversee the projects. This is how
                          supplies from the US are carried over -- items such as clothing, books, or
                          whatever is needed. (The last few trips, we've been bringing over
                          reburbished laptops for the computer school) T-shirts (it is really hot in
                          Cambodia) are in high demand and very much appreciated. We've had lots of
                          people donate new and gently used t-shirts. We like to thank our donors and
                          will take photos of people receiving the items donated.

                          As far as a video blogging project in Cambodia - I personally would love to
                          see that -- however, these things take a lot of time. I wanted to see a
                          computer school ever since I got involved like 7 years ago - but we had to
                          deal with a lot of basic needs first. We're trying to build in
                          sustainability in all our work in country -- that takes time, patience,
                          learning, money, and other resources ..

                          Hope that answers your question.

                          B.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 5, 2007