A Couple of iPhone Podcasting Questions

  • Bill Shackelford
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2007
      My Podcast uses the .m4v format for iPods for all my videos. From what I can gather my
      podcast can be synced now with an iPhone without modification. Am I correct?

      My second question deals with the Safari web browser on the iPhone. I have a mobile version
      of my site ( http://m.billshackelford.com ) in which I link .3gp versions of my videos for
      mobile phone download. If I created links to my .m4v files on my mobile site for my videos
      could an iPhone user click on the link of the .m4v file and then play it back? Would it play in
      the mobile edition safari or in a seperate media play on the iPhone?

      Thanks!

      - Bill Shackelford

      http://billshackelford.com
    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2007
        Yes, mv4 mp4 and mov will play in iPod, so should play on iPhone.
        Presumably the Safari browser on iPhone has a QT player, so Iwould
        have thought they'd play within the browser. Also, they will be able
        to subscribe using the usual iPod/iTunes interface.

        The important thing is to use compatible H264 or MPEG4 codec, frame
        size and data rate (see bottom). I can't find the iPhone specs yet,
        but iPhone should use the same basic specs as iPod, with larger
        widescreen frame size.

        I exported my latest post from iMovie using the iPod setting just for
        ease, then renamed it from .m4v to .mov so that I could edit it in
        GoLive to add a clickable link back to my blog at the end of the
        video. It plays fine on iPod as mov.

        Pretty much all other QT movs from vlogs that I get into iTunes play
        on my iPod if they are 320x240, including all those that I've encoded
        with 3ivx codec.

        The iPod tech specs on the Apple site are shown as follows - though
        the first gen of video iPods had a limit of 320x240 in H264 and
        480x480 in MPEG-4, so you might want to make them 320x240 and below
        768Kbps for max compatibility:

        FROM APPLE SITE: Video formats now supported:
        H.264 video (low complexity version), up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480
        pixels, 30 frames per sec. in m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; with
        AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in.
        H.264 video (up to level 1.3 of baseline profile), up to 768 Kbps,
        320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec.; audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz,
        stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
        MPEG-4 video (Simple Profile), up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30
        frames per sec., with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo
        audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

        Rupert
        http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/fatgirlinohio