Re: Mooninites take over Boston

  • David
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
      This kind of thing always upsets me. The two young men who planted
      those toys should have questioned their instructions. The people who
      gave them those instructions should have questioned their
      instructions and on up the chain of command. There must be a couple
      of dozen people (upwards of 100, potentially) who were involved in
      the design and implementation of that unfortunate marketing ploy.
      It's upsetting to me that those young men have been hauled into court
      for their stupidity but the exec at Turner and the ad Exec who
      pitched the idea are not in court and they bear more responsibility
      having given the order to go ahead and execute the idiocy. A
      significant problem exists in society when responsibility and
      authority aren't coequal. If I have the authority to order an action
      I should also be responsible if that action goes horribly wrong. But
      that happens less and less. We've got leaders who say, "I bear
      responsibility" and then they pay no price when, on their authority,
      damage is done. The executive at Turner responsible for that
      campaign should be fired. He (or she) won't be. The executive at
      the ad company should be fired. He won't be. And I'll bet you they
      make a lot of money and walk around self satisfied with their
      accomplishments and look good in suits. And they're fools.

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@...> wrote:

      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gosse" <hermit@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Welcome to the real world of post 9/11. There are real bad guys
      > >out there
      > > who would like nothing better than to kill you. And they are
      > working >at
      > > accomplishing that goal.
      > >
      > > Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
      > > email: hermit@
      > > blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
      > > _____
      > >

      > Guess what, Pre 9/11 there were real bad guys who wanted nothing
      > more than to kill people, as a matter of fact they were quite
      > successful at it.....
      >
      > It's how we choose to deal with things, adversity, that is what
      will
      > define us, there will always be someone out there who wants to do
      > harm for whatever reason, hate is taught and bred and it's fueled
      by
      > ignorance.....
      >
      > Personaly I don't want to live in fear or in a world fueled by
      such,
      > doesn't mean I bury my head in the sand, I don't I am keenly aware,
      > being a vet and all, but sometimes you just need a dose of commen
      > sense which seems to have been lacking from everyone involved in
      this
      > promo gone bad......
      >
      > Heath
      > http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

    • missbhavens1969
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
        Anybody care to comment that the CNN coverage of this incident had
        footer screentext declaring "Suspicious Package Found Earlier Was
        Detonated".

        Well, that's pretty messed up right there, because, ummm, it was a
        Lite-Brite and not a bomb.

        Perhaps that most venerated news service really meant "Suspicious
        Lite-Brite Found Earlier Was Unplugged?".

        Bekah

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taulpaulmpls"
        <taulpaulmpls@...> wrote:

        > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
        >
        > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
        > character shuts down a bridge?
        >
        > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
        > my comprehension.

      • Steve Watkins
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
          I saw footage which showed them using bomb disposal thing to blow up
          one of the devices. Guess they blew up first one they looked at as
          added precaution, but yeah they detonated something, it didnt detonate
          itself. I think you are right to draw attention to the language used
          with this sort of coverage, what can I say, Im not enjoying the style
          of this millenium so far, can I have a refund please?

          Someone was talking about the people who are in legal trouble over
          this, from what I understand the company doing it was one of those
          'guerrilla marketing' types that is used to doing non-traditional
          marketing with strange things in strange places.

          Ruperts post was great so I dont feel the need to rant much more.
          Suspicious packages hasnt been the focus of our attention in the UK in
          this terror era, it was so much a part of the last one, but this time
          suicide bombers or poison plots seem to have been the main fodcus of
          attention. Our media has been in terror mode in recent days too, over
          arrests of people here who, from what Ive heard, are suspected of
          planning to kidnap a british muslin soldier and murder him.

          Unlike Rupert I dont live in London or any big city, but a town, so my
          exposure to exploding threats is more limited. The closest I get to
          the war on terror is that I live in a part of town that suffers from
          some underlying racial tension between whites and asians, many of whom
          are Muslims. The mosque is just down the road from my house, and I
          have no problems whatsoever with the diverse community that surrounds
          me, I like it, though in truth I am rather disconnected from it all.
          The problem is that there seems to be enough other people who are
          bothered, to cause problems every once in a while. Its usually young
          people, bored youths messing with eachother. But once every few years
          in recent times, its boiled over along racial lines, resulting in lots
          of people fighting on the streets in big gangs, along with occasional
          random beatings. I do not welcome the sound of the police helicopter.
          And I feel rather powerless to do anything meaningful to slow this
          terrible tide. I usually rant if someone says racist stuff, but Im
          never sure what it does, does it make them any less racist or just
          stop them saying such things in my presence?

          So anyway every time there is an over-reaction in the 'war on terror',
          my heart sinks as it adds fuel to some nasty fire of racism that
          tragically smoulders in the UK. Hopefully it will never come to
          anything really tragic, no matter how much certain sectors of the
          press really try to stoke the fire, but Ive no way to know.

          Video images of many kinds have a lot of catching up to do if they are
          to play a positive role in the war on terror - though we usually dont
          like to dwell too long on comparisons of the horrors of death on video
          to videoblogging, events ranging from saddams hanging to various
          beheadings, troops getting killed or doing wrong things in Iraq, to
          9/11 itself, have been central elements of the era.

          Cheers

          Steve Elbows

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
          <missbhavens1969@...> wrote:

          > Anybody care to comment that the CNN coverage of this incident had
          > footer screentext declaring "Suspicious Package Found Earlier Was
          > Detonated".
          >
          > Well, that's pretty messed up right there, because, ummm, it was a
          > Lite-Brite and not a bomb.
          >
          > Perhaps that most venerated news service really meant "Suspicious
          > Lite-Brite Found Earlier Was Unplugged?".
          >

          > Bekah
          >

          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taulpaulmpls"
          > <taulpaulmpls@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
          > >
          > > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
          > > character shuts down a bridge?
          > >
          > > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
          > > my comprehension.

        • Jeffrey Taylor
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
            Trust me, Tom. We are rolling our eyes in Europe, where suspected
            bombs are diffused all the time (I've watched it happen in Paris) and
            we know better than to give a non-situation more attention than it
            deserves and just move on. Like real grownups.

            Can we get back to vlogging now?

            I just posted my video the Eiffel Tower turning its lights off (and
            me turning mine off) tonight to give the earth a rest.

            http://thegayexpat.com

          • J. Rhett Aultman
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
              Thank you.

              This is nothing but your typical "mystery package detonated, for safety's
              sake" story, which happens somewhere in the world every day. Because it's
              Aqua Teen Hunger Force, though, and that's all "indie" and "cool", and
              because it used "guerilla marketing", which is supposed to be "cool", and
              because Lite Brite is retro and thus "cool", people have turned this in to
              nonsense that it is not.

              This is just a basic story of some dumbasses putting things where they
              don't belong and the cops having to diffuse/detonate them. Nothing more.

              --
              Rhett.
              http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime

            • Rupert
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                yes, but it's also the story of a major world city being put on red
                alert (which could have been avoided), and also the story of some
                people who - however stupid - may go to jail for a long time
                unnecessarily for a guerilla marketing & video stunt, which is how
                all this got started. Despite all my good words in the last email,
                the reason people in Europe might roll their eyes is that it seems
                like a uniquely American response. So really it's the story of a
                political/societal response to the threat of terrorism, which is for
                another group and which I keep on prolonging here. sorry. goodnight.

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                  I sincerely doubt the charges that end up sticking on these guys will be
                  all that strong, but the truth of the matter is that they did disrupt the
                  public, and disrupting the public is a crime. Yes, the authorities
                  probably overreacted, but planting strange devices in public places, some
                  of them depicting what is, by American standards, an obscene gesture, for
                  the sake of advertising a corporate television show...yeah, that's a
                  crime. There's a reason that the public has a process of filing permits
                  for use of public space, and it's to keep nonsense like this from
                  happening in the first place.

                  I mean, if I have to file a permit so that I can use a public beach for my
                  wedding ceremony...or if I have to file a permit so I can shoot a short on
                  public land, then it stands to reason that I can't go throwing Lite Brites
                  around to advertise a product, either.

                  So, red alert...not necessary...but this was BAD "guerilla marketing", and
                  it was a public nuisance.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                    The "man on the street" defense of their actions seems hauntingly
                    stupid ... "they were just doing their jobs, following orders."

                    I want to see interviews with executives who approved this debacle.
                    That would be a laugh riot.

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <wlight@...>

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                      I'd heard that the people who pulled this stunt were never actually
                      ordered to, but were instead hired on as consultants and told to "be
                      creative". I can't find a source for that, though.

                      --
                      Rhett.
                      http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime

                      > The "man on the street" defense of their actions seems hauntingly
                      > stupid ... "they were just doing their jobs, following orders."
                      >
                      > I want to see interviews with executives who approved this debacle.
                      > That would be a laugh riot.
                      >
                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <wlight@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I sincerely doubt the charges that end up sticking on these guys
                      > will be
                      >> all that strong, but the truth of the matter is that they did
                      > disrupt the
                      >> public, and disrupting the public is a crime. Yes, the authorities
                      >> probably overreacted, but planting strange devices in public
                      > places, some [...]
                    • Paul Knight
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                        I am sure the al queda terrorists are down hearted right now and
                        thinking, " hey why didn't we think of that" It's just spin, it's
                        just fear. Something to get the rest of the world laughing at the
                        reactionary US. To be sure Cartoon Networt Work should have known
                        better but at the same time, Smiley faces!!! Come now. This must
                        have been a pretty slow news week.

                        Boston is a wonderful city, but it seems there is too much of this
                        kinda thing about, there was an aledged plot to kidnap a muslim
                        Britsih soldier returned from bagdad, to torture and be head him, ken
                        bigley style here in the UK just recently, I wonder if these two are
                        closely related, with spin. I bloody wonder.

                        Shake in fear if you want to. But I am telling you, if this Nazism
                        continues in the west, what hope have we all got. See thru the lies,
                        please people, there is nothing to be afraid of.

                        Paul Knight