Re: [videoblogging] Mooninites take over Boston

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
      This is all getting way OT, but yeah - my tube station - Shepherds
      Bush, 1/2 mile away - was one of those chosen by the failed 21st July
      05 bombers who got their explosive mix wrong and are currently on
      trial. My regular route to work was bombed on 7/7 at the exact time
      I would have travelled, but I was working from home that day. I post
      videos on those things, when they happened, but the posts got lost
      when I took the site down. In both cases, I wouldn't have spotted
      the rucksack bombs - they didn't have flashing cartoons on them, for
      some reason.

      In London and the mainland UK we had IRA bombers - real regular
      terrorists who actually bombed things - for decades. They bombed
      everywhere - on buses, in pubs, in stores, malls, offices. Hundreds
      of people were killed. It was scary walking around London in the
      middle of a campaign. But we didn't let them shut us down. (Even
      after 7/7, the same.) And we applied common sense when we saw
      suspicious packages. Those flashing light boxes in Boston - did you
      SEE them?? - were OBVIOUSLY not bombs. If you panic and shut down
      cities because people in charge are too scared to use their judgment
      and instead press SHUT DOWN at the first sign of something odd, THE
      TERRORISTS WIN. They've inspired terror. "That's why they call them
      terrorists, Kent." Oh, and innocent people get jailed
      unnecessarily. Or killed, which is what happened to Jean Charles de
      Menezes, an innocent Brazilian shot 8 times in the head by a
      policeman standing on his chest on 21st July. Total, unthinking,
      kneejerk reactions give fearful people the *illusion* of safety and
      in return you sacrifice a large part of your liberty and quality of
      life. Which is, as George and Tony keep telling us, what They want.

      Be alert, not afraid. That's the key.

      Rupert

      http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
      http://feeds.feedburner.com/fatgirlinohio

      On 1 Feb 2007, at 14:45, Michael Szpakowski wrote:

      OH please!
      I regularly work in London, my son was half a mile
      from the Aldgate bomb, the whole family passes through
      London on a regular basis & I know two things:
      (1) I'd rather have my civil liberties than the
      "protection" of the authorities, UK or US
      (2) When there *are* problems I know just who to blame
      - Bush & Blair.
      Also it might be considered a tad insensitive to
      accuse folk in the States , who after all lost some
      three thousand in 2001, of not living in the real
      world...
      <These clueless idiots>
      Freedom means freedom to be a dickhead too...
      michael

      <http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html>
      > com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
      >
      > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation,
      > when a Adult Swim
      > character shuts down a bridge?
      >
      > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for
      > bombs, is beyond
      > my comprehension.

      > removed]
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > mailto:videoblogging-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • David
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
        This kind of thing always upsets me. The two young men who planted
        those toys should have questioned their instructions. The people who
        gave them those instructions should have questioned their
        instructions and on up the chain of command. There must be a couple
        of dozen people (upwards of 100, potentially) who were involved in
        the design and implementation of that unfortunate marketing ploy.
        It's upsetting to me that those young men have been hauled into court
        for their stupidity but the exec at Turner and the ad Exec who
        pitched the idea are not in court and they bear more responsibility
        having given the order to go ahead and execute the idiocy. A
        significant problem exists in society when responsibility and
        authority aren't coequal. If I have the authority to order an action
        I should also be responsible if that action goes horribly wrong. But
        that happens less and less. We've got leaders who say, "I bear
        responsibility" and then they pay no price when, on their authority,
        damage is done. The executive at Turner responsible for that
        campaign should be fired. He (or she) won't be. The executive at
        the ad company should be fired. He won't be. And I'll bet you they
        make a lot of money and walk around self satisfied with their
        accomplishments and look good in suits. And they're fools.

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@...> wrote:

        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gosse" <hermit@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Welcome to the real world of post 9/11. There are real bad guys
        > >out there
        > > who would like nothing better than to kill you. And they are
        > working >at
        > > accomplishing that goal.
        > >
        > > Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
        > > email: hermit@
        > > blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
        > > _____
        > >

        > Guess what, Pre 9/11 there were real bad guys who wanted nothing
        > more than to kill people, as a matter of fact they were quite
        > successful at it.....
        >
        > It's how we choose to deal with things, adversity, that is what
        will
        > define us, there will always be someone out there who wants to do
        > harm for whatever reason, hate is taught and bred and it's fueled
        by
        > ignorance.....
        >
        > Personaly I don't want to live in fear or in a world fueled by
        such,
        > doesn't mean I bury my head in the sand, I don't I am keenly aware,
        > being a vet and all, but sometimes you just need a dose of commen
        > sense which seems to have been lacking from everyone involved in
        this
        > promo gone bad......
        >
        > Heath
        > http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

      • missbhavens1969
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
          Anybody care to comment that the CNN coverage of this incident had
          footer screentext declaring "Suspicious Package Found Earlier Was
          Detonated".

          Well, that's pretty messed up right there, because, ummm, it was a
          Lite-Brite and not a bomb.

          Perhaps that most venerated news service really meant "Suspicious
          Lite-Brite Found Earlier Was Unplugged?".

          Bekah

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taulpaulmpls"
          <taulpaulmpls@...> wrote:

          > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
          >
          > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
          > character shuts down a bridge?
          >
          > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
          > my comprehension.

        • Steve Watkins
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
            I saw footage which showed them using bomb disposal thing to blow up
            one of the devices. Guess they blew up first one they looked at as
            added precaution, but yeah they detonated something, it didnt detonate
            itself. I think you are right to draw attention to the language used
            with this sort of coverage, what can I say, Im not enjoying the style
            of this millenium so far, can I have a refund please?

            Someone was talking about the people who are in legal trouble over
            this, from what I understand the company doing it was one of those
            'guerrilla marketing' types that is used to doing non-traditional
            marketing with strange things in strange places.

            Ruperts post was great so I dont feel the need to rant much more.
            Suspicious packages hasnt been the focus of our attention in the UK in
            this terror era, it was so much a part of the last one, but this time
            suicide bombers or poison plots seem to have been the main fodcus of
            attention. Our media has been in terror mode in recent days too, over
            arrests of people here who, from what Ive heard, are suspected of
            planning to kidnap a british muslin soldier and murder him.

            Unlike Rupert I dont live in London or any big city, but a town, so my
            exposure to exploding threats is more limited. The closest I get to
            the war on terror is that I live in a part of town that suffers from
            some underlying racial tension between whites and asians, many of whom
            are Muslims. The mosque is just down the road from my house, and I
            have no problems whatsoever with the diverse community that surrounds
            me, I like it, though in truth I am rather disconnected from it all.
            The problem is that there seems to be enough other people who are
            bothered, to cause problems every once in a while. Its usually young
            people, bored youths messing with eachother. But once every few years
            in recent times, its boiled over along racial lines, resulting in lots
            of people fighting on the streets in big gangs, along with occasional
            random beatings. I do not welcome the sound of the police helicopter.
            And I feel rather powerless to do anything meaningful to slow this
            terrible tide. I usually rant if someone says racist stuff, but Im
            never sure what it does, does it make them any less racist or just
            stop them saying such things in my presence?

            So anyway every time there is an over-reaction in the 'war on terror',
            my heart sinks as it adds fuel to some nasty fire of racism that
            tragically smoulders in the UK. Hopefully it will never come to
            anything really tragic, no matter how much certain sectors of the
            press really try to stoke the fire, but Ive no way to know.

            Video images of many kinds have a lot of catching up to do if they are
            to play a positive role in the war on terror - though we usually dont
            like to dwell too long on comparisons of the horrors of death on video
            to videoblogging, events ranging from saddams hanging to various
            beheadings, troops getting killed or doing wrong things in Iraq, to
            9/11 itself, have been central elements of the era.

            Cheers

            Steve Elbows

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
            <missbhavens1969@...> wrote:

            > Anybody care to comment that the CNN coverage of this incident had
            > footer screentext declaring "Suspicious Package Found Earlier Was
            > Detonated".
            >
            > Well, that's pretty messed up right there, because, ummm, it was a
            > Lite-Brite and not a bomb.
            >
            > Perhaps that most venerated news service really meant "Suspicious
            > Lite-Brite Found Earlier Was Unplugged?".
            >

            > Bekah
            >

            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taulpaulmpls"
            > <taulpaulmpls@> wrote:
            > >
            > > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
            > >
            > > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
            > > character shuts down a bridge?
            > >
            > > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
            > > my comprehension.

          • Jeffrey Taylor
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
              Trust me, Tom. We are rolling our eyes in Europe, where suspected
              bombs are diffused all the time (I've watched it happen in Paris) and
              we know better than to give a non-situation more attention than it
              deserves and just move on. Like real grownups.

              Can we get back to vlogging now?

              I just posted my video the Eiffel Tower turning its lights off (and
              me turning mine off) tonight to give the earth a rest.

              http://thegayexpat.com

            • J. Rhett Aultman
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                Thank you.

                This is nothing but your typical "mystery package detonated, for safety's
                sake" story, which happens somewhere in the world every day. Because it's
                Aqua Teen Hunger Force, though, and that's all "indie" and "cool", and
                because it used "guerilla marketing", which is supposed to be "cool", and
                because Lite Brite is retro and thus "cool", people have turned this in to
                nonsense that it is not.

                This is just a basic story of some dumbasses putting things where they
                don't belong and the cops having to diffuse/detonate them. Nothing more.

                --
                Rhett.
                http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime

              • Rupert
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                  yes, but it's also the story of a major world city being put on red
                  alert (which could have been avoided), and also the story of some
                  people who - however stupid - may go to jail for a long time
                  unnecessarily for a guerilla marketing & video stunt, which is how
                  all this got started. Despite all my good words in the last email,
                  the reason people in Europe might roll their eyes is that it seems
                  like a uniquely American response. So really it's the story of a
                  political/societal response to the threat of terrorism, which is for
                  another group and which I keep on prolonging here. sorry. goodnight.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                    I sincerely doubt the charges that end up sticking on these guys will be
                    all that strong, but the truth of the matter is that they did disrupt the
                    public, and disrupting the public is a crime. Yes, the authorities
                    probably overreacted, but planting strange devices in public places, some
                    of them depicting what is, by American standards, an obscene gesture, for
                    the sake of advertising a corporate television show...yeah, that's a
                    crime. There's a reason that the public has a process of filing permits
                    for use of public space, and it's to keep nonsense like this from
                    happening in the first place.

                    I mean, if I have to file a permit so that I can use a public beach for my
                    wedding ceremony...or if I have to file a permit so I can shoot a short on
                    public land, then it stands to reason that I can't go throwing Lite Brites
                    around to advertise a product, either.

                    So, red alert...not necessary...but this was BAD "guerilla marketing", and
                    it was a public nuisance.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                      The "man on the street" defense of their actions seems hauntingly
                      stupid ... "they were just doing their jobs, following orders."

                      I want to see interviews with executives who approved this debacle.
                      That would be a laugh riot.

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <wlight@...>

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                        I'd heard that the people who pulled this stunt were never actually
                        ordered to, but were instead hired on as consultants and told to "be
                        creative". I can't find a source for that, though.

                        --
                        Rhett.
                        http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime

                        > The "man on the street" defense of their actions seems hauntingly
                        > stupid ... "they were just doing their jobs, following orders."
                        >
                        > I want to see interviews with executives who approved this debacle.
                        > That would be a laugh riot.
                        >
                        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <wlight@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I sincerely doubt the charges that end up sticking on these guys
                        > will be
                        >> all that strong, but the truth of the matter is that they did
                        > disrupt the
                        >> public, and disrupting the public is a crime. Yes, the authorities
                        >> probably overreacted, but planting strange devices in public
                        > places, some [...]
                      • Paul Knight
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                          I am sure the al queda terrorists are down hearted right now and
                          thinking, " hey why didn't we think of that" It's just spin, it's
                          just fear. Something to get the rest of the world laughing at the
                          reactionary US. To be sure Cartoon Networt Work should have known
                          better but at the same time, Smiley faces!!! Come now. This must
                          have been a pretty slow news week.

                          Boston is a wonderful city, but it seems there is too much of this
                          kinda thing about, there was an aledged plot to kidnap a muslim
                          Britsih soldier returned from bagdad, to torture and be head him, ken
                          bigley style here in the UK just recently, I wonder if these two are
                          closely related, with spin. I bloody wonder.

                          Shake in fear if you want to. But I am telling you, if this Nazism
                          continues in the west, what hope have we all got. See thru the lies,
                          please people, there is nothing to be afraid of.

                          Paul Knight