Re: Jeff Pulver

  • Dean Collins
    Message 1 of 57 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <jay.dedman@...>
      wrote:

      > > As some of you may have read yesterday the reason for me
      subscribing
      > > to this group is that I'm on the organising commitee for
      > > www.BarCampUSA.org which is a 'mega' barcamp being held in
      Wisconsin
      > > in August (23rd to 26th) later this year.
      > > It is projected that over 5000+ people from around the world (I
      have
      > > friends/colleagues coming from as far as Australia, Singapore,
      India)
      > > are going to get together for 4 days straight 24 hours a day.
      > > The reason for reaching out yesterday to this group was to make
      video
      > > bloggers aware of this event because we have had an overwhelming
      > > response from the podcasting community (they already have about
      10
      > > different events scheduled over the course of the 4 days and
      will be
      > > organising a podshack etc as a communal point for all things
      podcast).
      > > Personally I wanted to see a lot more video related activities
      so I
      > > reached out yesterday to ask who wanted to take this project on,
      not
      > > important who but noteably it was the quiet achievers in the
      group
      > > who reached out and put their hand up to take on this project
      (i'm
      > > sure they are looking for more volunteers and creative ideas so
      > > contact me if you think you have what it takes).
      >
      > here's the link to the Videoblogging section that Robyn started:
      > http://www.barcampusa.org/wiki/index.php?title=Videoblogging
      >
      > Dean, what's the story behind the event?
      > who are the organizers?

      > Here I am....
      > http://jaydedman.com

      Hi Jay,

      Same as any of the events started at http://BarCamp.org a few people
      sitting around in New York or Sydney or Singapore and going....we
      should organise a group of people to get together and talk about
      whats important to us.

      The BarCampUSA guys are just the same, but they thought "lets see
      what we can do with the barcamp pricinples but how can we make it
      different".

      Note no one said 'Better'.

      I think there is a lot of different experiences to be gained by
      dramatically increasing both the size and the globality (word?) of a
      barcamp event.

      There is nothing wrong with a barcamp of 50 people in San Francisco
      where you get to interact 1 on 1 with pretty much everyone in the
      room.

      But there is also a lot of stuff to be gained by having an event with
      5000+ people and having discussions about video blogging with a guy
      from Sydney or a girl from India.

      There is also a lot of scope for events just not possible at a
      smaller barcamp (such as some of the after hours entertainment lined
      up).

      Like I said before, I think an event like this deserves or warrants
      us thinking outside of the box to see how we can really blow the roof
      off this event.

      What do you want to do in the world of video blogging that was never
      possible before today but you could implement at this event just
      because of the scale (workshops on CC licenses and implementation of
      machine readable license metadata for one would stop a lot of
      bitching in this group :P - well here is your chance).

      The balls in your court.

      Cheers,
      Dean
      Message 57 of 57 , Feb 1, 2007
        > I guess this gives you an insight into the magnitude of the 'raw
        > space' we are providing and why we are so stoked about it.
        > Tickets go on sale next week; there are 'bonuses' for early ticket
        > purchases and in addition all people purchasing tickets before 1st of
        > May will get early access to both the site and campgrounds (eg you
        > can get in on wednesday afternoon rather than have to wait for
        > Thursday morning).
        > Anything else I missed out on?

        cool...just found the FAQ:
        http://www.barcampusa.org/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ