RE: [videoblogging] Mooninites take over Boston

  • Michael Szpakowski
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
      OH please!
      I regularly work in London, my son was half a mile
      from the Aldgate bomb, the whole family passes through
      London on a regular basis & I know two things:
      (1) I'd rather have my civil liberties than the
      "protection" of the authorities, UK or US
      (2) When there *are* problems I know just who to blame
      - Bush & Blair.
      Also it might be considered a tad insensitive to
      accuse folk in the States , who after all lost some
      three thousand in 2001, of not living in the real
      world...
      <These clueless idiots>
      Freedom means freedom to be a dickhead too...
      michael

      <http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html>
      > com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
      >
      > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation,
      > when a Adult Swim
      > character shuts down a bridge?
      >
      > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for
      > bombs, is beyond
      > my comprehension.

      > removed]
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > mailto:videoblogging-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
        Please keep it civil, guys.

        - Andreas

        --
        Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Szpakowski <szpako@...>
          wrote:

          > OH please!
          > I regularly work in London, my son was half a mile
          > from the Aldgate bomb, the whole family passes through
          > London on a regular basis & I know two things:
          > (1) I'd rather have my civil liberties than the
          > "protection" of the authorities, UK or US
          > (2) When there *are* problems I know just who to blame
          > - Bush & Blair.
          > Also it might be considered a tad insensitive to
          > accuse folk in the States , who after all lost some
          > three thousand in 2001, of not living in the real
          > world...
          > <These clueless idiots>
          > Freedom means freedom to be a dickhead too...
          > michael
          > --- Tom Gosse <hermit@...> wrote:

          Before anybody else complains about your comments, I'm going to
          champion them.

          If you dont think that PR has spun this event way out of control on
          someones orders then you are a fool.

          So they screwed up, big deal it happens.

          Why do we live in a world where we are so freaked out by the
          possibility that they could have been a bomb. That is the real
          question.

          Cheers,
          Dean
        • Heath
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gosse" <hermit@...> wrote:

            > Welcome to the real world of post 9/11. There are real bad guys
            >out there
            > who would like nothing better than to kill you. And they are
            working >at
            > accomplishing that goal.
            >
            > Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
            > email: hermit@...
            > blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
            > _____

            Guess what, Pre 9/11 there were real bad guys who wanted nothing
            more than to kill people, as a matter of fact they were quite
            successful at it.....

            It's how we choose to deal with things, adversity, that is what will
            define us, there will always be someone out there who wants to do
            harm for whatever reason, hate is taught and bred and it's fueled by
            ignorance.....

            Personaly I don't want to live in fear or in a world fueled by such,
            doesn't mean I bury my head in the sand, I don't I am keenly aware,
            being a vet and all, but sometimes you just need a dose of commen
            sense which seems to have been lacking from everyone involved in this
            promo gone bad......

            Heath
            http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com
          • Rupert
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
              This is all getting way OT, but yeah - my tube station - Shepherds
              Bush, 1/2 mile away - was one of those chosen by the failed 21st July
              05 bombers who got their explosive mix wrong and are currently on
              trial. My regular route to work was bombed on 7/7 at the exact time
              I would have travelled, but I was working from home that day. I post
              videos on those things, when they happened, but the posts got lost
              when I took the site down. In both cases, I wouldn't have spotted
              the rucksack bombs - they didn't have flashing cartoons on them, for
              some reason.

              In London and the mainland UK we had IRA bombers - real regular
              terrorists who actually bombed things - for decades. They bombed
              everywhere - on buses, in pubs, in stores, malls, offices. Hundreds
              of people were killed. It was scary walking around London in the
              middle of a campaign. But we didn't let them shut us down. (Even
              after 7/7, the same.) And we applied common sense when we saw
              suspicious packages. Those flashing light boxes in Boston - did you
              SEE them?? - were OBVIOUSLY not bombs. If you panic and shut down
              cities because people in charge are too scared to use their judgment
              and instead press SHUT DOWN at the first sign of something odd, THE
              TERRORISTS WIN. They've inspired terror. "That's why they call them
              terrorists, Kent." Oh, and innocent people get jailed
              unnecessarily. Or killed, which is what happened to Jean Charles de
              Menezes, an innocent Brazilian shot 8 times in the head by a
              policeman standing on his chest on 21st July. Total, unthinking,
              kneejerk reactions give fearful people the *illusion* of safety and
              in return you sacrifice a large part of your liberty and quality of
              life. Which is, as George and Tony keep telling us, what They want.

              Be alert, not afraid. That's the key.

              Rupert

              http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
              http://feeds.feedburner.com/fatgirlinohio

              --- Tom Gosse <hermit@...> wrote:

              > Welcome to the real world of post 9/11. There are
              > real bad guys out there
              > who would like nothing better than to kill you. And
              > they are working at
              > accomplishing that goal.
              >
              > If you lived in London, Madrid or Israel where real
              > terrorists plant real
              > bombs in public places and kill real people you
              > wouldn't roll your eyes.
              > What the fuck do you think a terrorist is going to
              > do? Write "real bomb" on
              > a device? They try to disguise and make them look
              > like innocent devices so
              > as to fool their victims. The first responders have
              > to assume that a
              > suspicious device is in fact a dangerous device.
              > I'd rather too much
              > response than too little.
              >
              > These clueless idiots at Cartoon Network and the
              > advertising agency planted
              > these things on the underside of bridges and
              > highways, next to hospitals and
              > subways entrances, and in public areas where people
              > congregate. Just the
              > kind of places a terrorist would bomb. Did it ever
              > occur to them that it
              > might be a good idea to tell the city officials
              > about this ahead of time?
              >
              > If I lived in one of the other nine cities that were
              > subject to this
              > advertising campaign I wouldn't be too smug. If I
              > was a terrorist I'd be
              > looking at them as potential targets where the
              > citizens are complacent, and
              > on one is going to report suspicious packages.
              >
              > Once again, welcome to the real world.
              >

              > Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
              > email: hermit@...
              > blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
              > _____

            • David
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                This kind of thing always upsets me. The two young men who planted
                those toys should have questioned their instructions. The people who
                gave them those instructions should have questioned their
                instructions and on up the chain of command. There must be a couple
                of dozen people (upwards of 100, potentially) who were involved in
                the design and implementation of that unfortunate marketing ploy.
                It's upsetting to me that those young men have been hauled into court
                for their stupidity but the exec at Turner and the ad Exec who
                pitched the idea are not in court and they bear more responsibility
                having given the order to go ahead and execute the idiocy. A
                significant problem exists in society when responsibility and
                authority aren't coequal. If I have the authority to order an action
                I should also be responsible if that action goes horribly wrong. But
                that happens less and less. We've got leaders who say, "I bear
                responsibility" and then they pay no price when, on their authority,
                damage is done. The executive at Turner responsible for that
                campaign should be fired. He (or she) won't be. The executive at
                the ad company should be fired. He won't be. And I'll bet you they
                make a lot of money and walk around self satisfied with their
                accomplishments and look good in suits. And they're fools.

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@...> wrote:

                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gosse" <hermit@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Welcome to the real world of post 9/11. There are real bad guys
                > >out there
                > > who would like nothing better than to kill you. And they are
                > working >at
                > > accomplishing that goal.
                > >
                > > Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
                > > email: hermit@
                > > blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
                > > _____
                > >

                > Guess what, Pre 9/11 there were real bad guys who wanted nothing
                > more than to kill people, as a matter of fact they were quite
                > successful at it.....
                >
                > It's how we choose to deal with things, adversity, that is what
                will
                > define us, there will always be someone out there who wants to do
                > harm for whatever reason, hate is taught and bred and it's fueled
                by
                > ignorance.....
                >
                > Personaly I don't want to live in fear or in a world fueled by
                such,
                > doesn't mean I bury my head in the sand, I don't I am keenly aware,
                > being a vet and all, but sometimes you just need a dose of commen
                > sense which seems to have been lacking from everyone involved in
                this
                > promo gone bad......
                >
                > Heath
                > http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

              • missbhavens1969
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Anybody care to comment that the CNN coverage of this incident had
                  footer screentext declaring "Suspicious Package Found Earlier Was
                  Detonated".

                  Well, that's pretty messed up right there, because, ummm, it was a
                  Lite-Brite and not a bomb.

                  Perhaps that most venerated news service really meant "Suspicious
                  Lite-Brite Found Earlier Was Unplugged?".

                  Bekah

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taulpaulmpls"
                  <taulpaulmpls@...> wrote:

                  > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
                  >
                  > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
                  > character shuts down a bridge?
                  >
                  > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
                  > my comprehension.

                • Steve Watkins
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                    I saw footage which showed them using bomb disposal thing to blow up
                    one of the devices. Guess they blew up first one they looked at as
                    added precaution, but yeah they detonated something, it didnt detonate
                    itself. I think you are right to draw attention to the language used
                    with this sort of coverage, what can I say, Im not enjoying the style
                    of this millenium so far, can I have a refund please?

                    Someone was talking about the people who are in legal trouble over
                    this, from what I understand the company doing it was one of those
                    'guerrilla marketing' types that is used to doing non-traditional
                    marketing with strange things in strange places.

                    Ruperts post was great so I dont feel the need to rant much more.
                    Suspicious packages hasnt been the focus of our attention in the UK in
                    this terror era, it was so much a part of the last one, but this time
                    suicide bombers or poison plots seem to have been the main fodcus of
                    attention. Our media has been in terror mode in recent days too, over
                    arrests of people here who, from what Ive heard, are suspected of
                    planning to kidnap a british muslin soldier and murder him.

                    Unlike Rupert I dont live in London or any big city, but a town, so my
                    exposure to exploding threats is more limited. The closest I get to
                    the war on terror is that I live in a part of town that suffers from
                    some underlying racial tension between whites and asians, many of whom
                    are Muslims. The mosque is just down the road from my house, and I
                    have no problems whatsoever with the diverse community that surrounds
                    me, I like it, though in truth I am rather disconnected from it all.
                    The problem is that there seems to be enough other people who are
                    bothered, to cause problems every once in a while. Its usually young
                    people, bored youths messing with eachother. But once every few years
                    in recent times, its boiled over along racial lines, resulting in lots
                    of people fighting on the streets in big gangs, along with occasional
                    random beatings. I do not welcome the sound of the police helicopter.
                    And I feel rather powerless to do anything meaningful to slow this
                    terrible tide. I usually rant if someone says racist stuff, but Im
                    never sure what it does, does it make them any less racist or just
                    stop them saying such things in my presence?

                    So anyway every time there is an over-reaction in the 'war on terror',
                    my heart sinks as it adds fuel to some nasty fire of racism that
                    tragically smoulders in the UK. Hopefully it will never come to
                    anything really tragic, no matter how much certain sectors of the
                    press really try to stoke the fire, but Ive no way to know.

                    Video images of many kinds have a lot of catching up to do if they are
                    to play a positive role in the war on terror - though we usually dont
                    like to dwell too long on comparisons of the horrors of death on video
                    to videoblogging, events ranging from saddams hanging to various
                    beheadings, troops getting killed or doing wrong things in Iraq, to
                    9/11 itself, have been central elements of the era.

                    Cheers

                    Steve Elbows

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
                    <missbhavens1969@...> wrote:

                    > Anybody care to comment that the CNN coverage of this incident had
                    > footer screentext declaring "Suspicious Package Found Earlier Was
                    > Detonated".
                    >
                    > Well, that's pretty messed up right there, because, ummm, it was a
                    > Lite-Brite and not a bomb.
                    >
                    > Perhaps that most venerated news service really meant "Suspicious
                    > Lite-Brite Found Earlier Was Unplugged?".
                    >

                    > Bekah
                    >

                    > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taulpaulmpls"
                    > <taulpaulmpls@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
                    > >
                    > > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
                    > > character shuts down a bridge?
                    > >
                    > > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
                    > > my comprehension.

                  • Jeffrey Taylor
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                      Trust me, Tom. We are rolling our eyes in Europe, where suspected
                      bombs are diffused all the time (I've watched it happen in Paris) and
                      we know better than to give a non-situation more attention than it
                      deserves and just move on. Like real grownups.

                      Can we get back to vlogging now?

                      I just posted my video the Eiffel Tower turning its lights off (and
                      me turning mine off) tonight to give the earth a rest.

                      http://thegayexpat.com

                    • J. Rhett Aultman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                        Thank you.

                        This is nothing but your typical "mystery package detonated, for safety's
                        sake" story, which happens somewhere in the world every day. Because it's
                        Aqua Teen Hunger Force, though, and that's all "indie" and "cool", and
                        because it used "guerilla marketing", which is supposed to be "cool", and
                        because Lite Brite is retro and thus "cool", people have turned this in to
                        nonsense that it is not.

                        This is just a basic story of some dumbasses putting things where they
                        don't belong and the cops having to diffuse/detonate them. Nothing more.

                        --
                        Rhett.
                        http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime

                      • Rupert
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                          yes, but it's also the story of a major world city being put on red
                          alert (which could have been avoided), and also the story of some
                          people who - however stupid - may go to jail for a long time
                          unnecessarily for a guerilla marketing & video stunt, which is how
                          all this got started. Despite all my good words in the last email,
                          the reason people in Europe might roll their eyes is that it seems
                          like a uniquely American response. So really it's the story of a
                          political/societal response to the threat of terrorism, which is for
                          another group and which I keep on prolonging here. sorry. goodnight.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                            I sincerely doubt the charges that end up sticking on these guys will be
                            all that strong, but the truth of the matter is that they did disrupt the
                            public, and disrupting the public is a crime. Yes, the authorities
                            probably overreacted, but planting strange devices in public places, some
                            of them depicting what is, by American standards, an obscene gesture, for
                            the sake of advertising a corporate television show...yeah, that's a
                            crime. There's a reason that the public has a process of filing permits
                            for use of public space, and it's to keep nonsense like this from
                            happening in the first place.

                            I mean, if I have to file a permit so that I can use a public beach for my
                            wedding ceremony...or if I have to file a permit so I can shoot a short on
                            public land, then it stands to reason that I can't go throwing Lite Brites
                            around to advertise a product, either.

                            So, red alert...not necessary...but this was BAD "guerilla marketing", and
                            it was a public nuisance.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                              The "man on the street" defense of their actions seems hauntingly
                              stupid ... "they were just doing their jobs, following orders."

                              I want to see interviews with executives who approved this debacle.
                              That would be a laugh riot.

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <wlight@...>

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                I'd heard that the people who pulled this stunt were never actually
                                ordered to, but were instead hired on as consultants and told to "be
                                creative". I can't find a source for that, though.

                                --
                                Rhett.
                                http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime

                                > The "man on the street" defense of their actions seems hauntingly
                                > stupid ... "they were just doing their jobs, following orders."
                                >
                                > I want to see interviews with executives who approved this debacle.
                                > That would be a laugh riot.
                                >
                                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <wlight@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >>
                                >> I sincerely doubt the charges that end up sticking on these guys
                                > will be
                                >> all that strong, but the truth of the matter is that they did
                                > disrupt the
                                >> public, and disrupting the public is a crime. Yes, the authorities
                                >> probably overreacted, but planting strange devices in public
                                > places, some [...]
                              • Paul Knight
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                  I am sure the al queda terrorists are down hearted right now and
                                  thinking, " hey why didn't we think of that" It's just spin, it's
                                  just fear. Something to get the rest of the world laughing at the
                                  reactionary US. To be sure Cartoon Networt Work should have known
                                  better but at the same time, Smiley faces!!! Come now. This must
                                  have been a pretty slow news week.

                                  Boston is a wonderful city, but it seems there is too much of this
                                  kinda thing about, there was an aledged plot to kidnap a muslim
                                  Britsih soldier returned from bagdad, to torture and be head him, ken
                                  bigley style here in the UK just recently, I wonder if these two are
                                  closely related, with spin. I bloody wonder.

                                  Shake in fear if you want to. But I am telling you, if this Nazism
                                  continues in the west, what hope have we all got. See thru the lies,
                                  please people, there is nothing to be afraid of.

                                  Paul Knight