Re: [videoblogging] Re: BlogTV.ca

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      There are no Canadian content rules for the internet though. If memory
      serves The CRTC (which regulates Canadian content) has tried and failed
      to get jurisdiction over the Internet. I could see a CC issue if the
      Bell New Media Fund was involved somehow, but that's doubtful. Even if
      there was a legitimate problem I don't see why people in other countries
      couldn't be allowed to at least watch.

      Sounds like I'm not missing much anyway. I wonder what the bloggers they
      are meeting with to show this thing off will have to say.

      - Andrew

      Mike Moon wrote:

      > Canadian Content laws are probably the reason for the Canadian only
      > broadcast rules. Easier to control if it's all Canadian.
      >
      > You need a PC (Doesn't work with Mac), IE 6 or above (Doesn't work
      > with Firefox) and a webcam (No option to upload a show).
      >
      > I'll wait until after shaving my chest before trying a broadcast.
      >
      > Mike
      > http://vlog.mikemoon.net <http://vlog.mikemoon.net>
      >
      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>, Andrew <andrew@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Canada's Alliance Atlantis Communications - the 800lb media gorilla
      > that
      > > owns many of the Canadian specialty channels, distributes a lot of U.S.
      > > movies in Canada and produces CBS' CSI shows - has started up a new
      > > service called BlogTV.ca. The idea is to stream live video and audio
      > via
      > > the web. It's different than YouTube because apparently all the streams
      > > are live video only. I say apparently because they site rejects anyone
      > > with a non-Canadian IP address.
      > >
      > > CBC has info at
      > >
      > http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/31/tech-blogtv-20070131.html
      > <http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/31/tech-blogtv-20070131.html>
      > >
      > > The problem with this business model that I see right away is that
      > > Canada is one tenth the size of the U.S. - if you try to access the
      > site
      > > it blocks you without a Canadian IP address. Why exclude everybody who
      > > isn't Canadian? Does that make sense? Heck, I am Canadian (currently
      > > living in Mexico) and I can't watch it from here.
      > >
      > > Weird.
      > >
      > > --
      > >
      > > Andrew
      > > Creative Director, The World's Angriest Puppets
      > >
      > > Email: andrew@...
      > > Web: www.angrypuppets.com
      > > Blog: puppetvision.blogspot.com

      > > Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
      > > with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

      Andrew Young

      with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com
    • casey.mckinnon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        I just signed up for the hell of it and did my first live broadcast
        but their sound is frakked up (it doesn't always record). I sent an
        email to let them know there's a problem because my MacBook Pro is in
        mint condition.

        It's not really my type of thing, but the site set up is very web
        2.0... super-interactive. You can even chat while you broadcast and
        you can invite others to be a co-host with you! That's pretty cool...

        Shame about the technical isues...
        Casey

        ---
        http://caseymckinnon.com