BlogTV.ca

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Canada's Alliance Atlantis Communications - the 800lb media gorilla that
      owns many of the Canadian specialty channels, distributes a lot of U.S.
      movies in Canada and produces CBS' CSI shows - has started up a new
      service called BlogTV.ca. The idea is to stream live video and audio via
      the web. It's different than YouTube because apparently all the streams
      are live video only. I say apparently because they site rejects anyone
      with a non-Canadian IP address.

      CBC has info at
      http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/31/tech-blogtv-20070131.html

      The problem with this business model that I see right away is that
      Canada is one tenth the size of the U.S. - if you try to access the site
      it blocks you without a Canadian IP address. Why exclude everybody who
      isn't Canadian? Does that make sense? Heck, I am Canadian (currently
      living in Mexico) and I can't watch it from here.

      Weird.

      --

      Andrew
      Creative Director, The World's Angriest Puppets

      Email: andrew@...
      Web: www.angrypuppets.com
      Blog: puppetvision.blogspot.com

      Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
      with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com
    • Mike Moon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        Canadian Content laws are probably the reason for the Canadian only
        broadcast rules. Easier to control if it's all Canadian.

        You need a PC (Doesn't work with Mac), IE 6 or above (Doesn't work
        with Firefox) and a webcam (No option to upload a show).

        I'll wait until after shaving my chest before trying a broadcast.

        Mike
        http://vlog.mikemoon.net

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <andrew@...> wrote:

        > Canada's Alliance Atlantis Communications - the 800lb media gorilla
        that
        > owns many of the Canadian specialty channels, distributes a lot of U.S.
        > movies in Canada and produces CBS' CSI shows - has started up a new
        > service called BlogTV.ca. The idea is to stream live video and audio
        via
        > the web. It's different than YouTube because apparently all the streams
        > are live video only. I say apparently because they site rejects anyone
        > with a non-Canadian IP address.
        >
        > CBC has info at
        > http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/31/tech-blogtv-20070131.html
        >
        > The problem with this business model that I see right away is that
        > Canada is one tenth the size of the U.S. - if you try to access the
        site
        > it blocks you without a Canadian IP address. Why exclude everybody who
        > isn't Canadian? Does that make sense? Heck, I am Canadian (currently
        > living in Mexico) and I can't watch it from here.
        >
        > Weird.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Andrew
        > Creative Director, The World's Angriest Puppets
        >
        > Email: andrew@...
        > Web: www.angrypuppets.com
        > Blog: puppetvision.blogspot.com

        > Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
        > with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          There are no Canadian content rules for the internet though. If memory
          serves The CRTC (which regulates Canadian content) has tried and failed
          to get jurisdiction over the Internet. I could see a CC issue if the
          Bell New Media Fund was involved somehow, but that's doubtful. Even if
          there was a legitimate problem I don't see why people in other countries
          couldn't be allowed to at least watch.

          Sounds like I'm not missing much anyway. I wonder what the bloggers they
          are meeting with to show this thing off will have to say.

          - Andrew

          Mike Moon wrote:

          > Canadian Content laws are probably the reason for the Canadian only
          > broadcast rules. Easier to control if it's all Canadian.
          >
          > You need a PC (Doesn't work with Mac), IE 6 or above (Doesn't work
          > with Firefox) and a webcam (No option to upload a show).
          >
          > I'll wait until after shaving my chest before trying a broadcast.
          >
          > Mike
          > http://vlog.mikemoon.net <http://vlog.mikemoon.net>
          >
          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>, Andrew <andrew@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Canada's Alliance Atlantis Communications - the 800lb media gorilla
          > that
          > > owns many of the Canadian specialty channels, distributes a lot of U.S.
          > > movies in Canada and produces CBS' CSI shows - has started up a new
          > > service called BlogTV.ca. The idea is to stream live video and audio
          > via
          > > the web. It's different than YouTube because apparently all the streams
          > > are live video only. I say apparently because they site rejects anyone
          > > with a non-Canadian IP address.
          > >
          > > CBC has info at
          > >
          > http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/31/tech-blogtv-20070131.html
          > <http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/31/tech-blogtv-20070131.html>
          > >
          > > The problem with this business model that I see right away is that
          > > Canada is one tenth the size of the U.S. - if you try to access the
          > site
          > > it blocks you without a Canadian IP address. Why exclude everybody who
          > > isn't Canadian? Does that make sense? Heck, I am Canadian (currently
          > > living in Mexico) and I can't watch it from here.
          > >
          > > Weird.
          > >
          > > --
          > >
          > > Andrew
          > > Creative Director, The World's Angriest Puppets
          > >
          > > Email: andrew@...
          > > Web: www.angrypuppets.com
          > > Blog: puppetvision.blogspot.com

          > > Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
          > > with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

          Andrew Young

          with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com
        • casey.mckinnon
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
            I just signed up for the hell of it and did my first live broadcast
            but their sound is frakked up (it doesn't always record). I sent an
            email to let them know there's a problem because my MacBook Pro is in
            mint condition.

            It's not really my type of thing, but the site set up is very web
            2.0... super-interactive. You can even chat while you broadcast and
            you can invite others to be a co-host with you! That's pretty cool...

            Shame about the technical isues...
            Casey

            ---
            http://caseymckinnon.com