Re: copyright - attribution

  • Steve Watkins
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      Thanks for the clarification. I find the wording of that to be a bit
      odd though - I read it as saying that the stuff labelled (ii) is only
      applicable if you mention the 3rd parties to be attributed in your
      copyright notice? And that the requirement to include a URL is only
      valid if that URI contains the license info for the work?

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
      <solitude@...> wrote:

      > Den 01.02.2007 kl. 06:30 skrev Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...>:
      >
      > > here's the exact wording:
      > > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
      > > "Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
      > > the author or licensor. "
      >
      > No, Jay. The human-readable version is watered down to the point
      where it
      > doesn't make any sense. The exact wording is in the actual license at
      4.b:

      > "If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
      > digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective
      Works,

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
        Den 01.02.2007 kl. 09:54 skrev Steve Watkins <steve@...>:

        > Thanks for the clarification. I find the wording of that to be a bit
        > odd though - I read it as saying that the stuff labelled (ii) is only
        > applicable if you mention the 3rd parties to be attributed in your
        > copyright notice?

        The stuff marked (ii) only goes to the first semi-colon. It's a small part
        that covers sponsors and the like. When a college professor writes a paper
        he could require sharers to mention his university as a part of the
        attribution. No big deal.

        > And that the requirement to include a URL is only
        > valid if that URI contains the license info for the work?

        Yes, of course. Makes sense to me. Otherwise you have a dead-end.

        --
        Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
          Thanks, I got it totally wrong, cheers for the clarification.

          Maybe I will now realise that my fixation with trying to understand
          all the wording and small detail of these licenses is not very useful
          compared to Jay and otehrs suggestions to do something.

          If I manage to sort my dysfunctional self out and do some creative
          commons animations, do people want them in high res or 320x240?

          Is there a need for any resources that would be a toolkit for creating
          your own animations? Like are all the creative commons smbols already
          available in formats that could be used as masks in video editing
          software and suchlike?

          Is there a good guideline for how many seconds people want cc
          animations to be?

          Are people going to try to do animations for most different license
          types, or just the most commons few?

          Am I right to think we do need to put the creative commons version
          number in the animation for it to be valid?

          Has anybody outside the US condiered the international angle? There
          seem to be regionalised versions of creative commons licenses for
          quite a few countries now, Ive no idea how much this matters, and I
          imagine most US-based hosting services will understandably not be
          catering for every permutation in a hurry?

          There I go, complicating things again with questions, oops

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
            > No, Jay. The human-readable version is watered down to the point where it
            > doesn't make any sense. The exact wording is in the actual license at
            so is the human readable license not true?

            http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
            "Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
            the author or licensor. "

            Here I am....
            http://jaydedman.com