Re: [videoblogging] Re: copyright - attribution

  • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      Den 01.02.2007 kl. 06:30 skrev Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...>:

      > here's the exact wording:
      > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
      > "Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
      > the author or licensor. "

      No, Jay. The human-readable version is watered down to the point where it
      doesn't make any sense. The exact wording is in the actual license at
      "If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
      digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works,
      You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide,
      reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the
      Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if
      the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties
      (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in
      Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable
      means, the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if
      supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource
      Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the
      Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing
      information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit
      identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French
      translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on
      original Work by Original Author"). Such credit may be implemented in any
      reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative
      Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any
      other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as
      prominent as such other comparable authorship credit."

      Recap: Author's name, Title of the work, URL (to the extent reasonably
      practicable) and some extra stuff for derrivative works.

      --
      Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
        Thanks for the clarification. I find the wording of that to be a bit
        odd though - I read it as saying that the stuff labelled (ii) is only
        applicable if you mention the 3rd parties to be attributed in your
        copyright notice? And that the requirement to include a URL is only
        valid if that URI contains the license info for the work?

        Cheers

        Steve Elbows

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
          Den 01.02.2007 kl. 09:54 skrev Steve Watkins <steve@...>:

          > Thanks for the clarification. I find the wording of that to be a bit
          > odd though - I read it as saying that the stuff labelled (ii) is only
          > applicable if you mention the 3rd parties to be attributed in your
          > copyright notice?

          The stuff marked (ii) only goes to the first semi-colon. It's a small part
          that covers sponsors and the like. When a college professor writes a paper
          he could require sharers to mention his university as a part of the
          attribution. No big deal.

          > And that the requirement to include a URL is only
          > valid if that URI contains the license info for the work?

          Yes, of course. Makes sense to me. Otherwise you have a dead-end.

          --
          Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
            Thanks, I got it totally wrong, cheers for the clarification.

            Maybe I will now realise that my fixation with trying to understand
            all the wording and small detail of these licenses is not very useful
            compared to Jay and otehrs suggestions to do something.

            If I manage to sort my dysfunctional self out and do some creative
            commons animations, do people want them in high res or 320x240?

            Is there a need for any resources that would be a toolkit for creating
            your own animations? Like are all the creative commons smbols already
            available in formats that could be used as masks in video editing
            software and suchlike?

            Is there a good guideline for how many seconds people want cc
            animations to be?

            Are people going to try to do animations for most different license
            types, or just the most commons few?

            Am I right to think we do need to put the creative commons version
            number in the animation for it to be valid?

            Has anybody outside the US condiered the international angle? There
            seem to be regionalised versions of creative commons licenses for
            quite a few countries now, Ive no idea how much this matters, and I
            imagine most US-based hosting services will understandably not be
            catering for every permutation in a hurry?

            There I go, complicating things again with questions, oops

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
              > No, Jay. The human-readable version is watered down to the point where it
              > doesn't make any sense. The exact wording is in the actual license at
              so is the human readable license not true?

              http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
              "Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
              the author or licensor. "

              Here I am....
              http://jaydedman.com