vPIP 1.0 Beta now available !

  • Enric
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
      This a major new release of vPIP. There's new features for people
      with different interests doing video on the web.

      Before that, vPIP now has it's own domain: http://vpip.org/ The old
      domain, http://utilities.cinegage.com/videos-playing-in-place/,
      informs of the changed domain. The documentation has been updated for
      the changes and a new page is available on using vPIP with Flash:
      http://vpip.org/home/playing-flash/ . Let me know of any errors in
      the docs.

      For HTML Newbies
      ----------------
      vPIP can now take all the <a href="<url to movie>" ...>...</a> links
      and make them work immediately with vPIP. The nmew script vpipit.js
      will do that. All the installation instructions for different web
      platforms include vpipit.js. With this you don't need to figure out
      how to call the vPIP function (onclick="vPIPPlay(...)") in the link.
      This is similar to how Andreas' and David Meade's scripts
      automatically embed.

      NOTE: The downside to this approach is that the web page needs to
      fully load before the script sets all <a href= links that it sees
      pointing to movies to embed with vPIP. If a viewer clicks on a link
      before the page finishes loading it will just jump to the movie rather
      than embed through vPIP. So it's recommended to use the standard
      approach of calling vPIP, if you want your movies to consistantly embed.

      For Designers
      -------------
      You may now design the visual interface of the vPIP internal Flash
      player, cirneViewer.swf. The visual interface for buttons like Play,
      Pause, Rewind, etc. are loaded dynamically from an XML file when the
      player starts. You can specify a different XML file than the default
      that points to your own images for the visual interface. The
      information on the XML file tags and the controls they dress up is on
      the vPIP page for Flash:

      http://vpip.org/home/playing-flash/

      An example of the default interface included is on this recent vlog
      entry of mine:

      http://tinyurl.com/38lwb5
      or
      http://www.cirne.com/vlog/2006/11/30/carp-caviar-extracts-122/

      For Programmers
      ---------------
      vPIP has been rewritten as object-oriented javascript. This should
      make it easier to extend and modify vPIP for your own purposes. This
      is a first pass, so furthe encapsulation may be useful.

      If you create a new capability that would be useful for others, please
      let me know so that I can look at including it in a future release.
      If you would like to be a co-developer of vPIP, let me know. I'm
      going to look at including it in a open source repository.

      More Flash Player Features
      --------------------------
      Besides being able to dynamically load the visual interface, there are
      now two versions of the internal flash player. The smaller version is
      320x300 in size and will be used if the video width is 320 or less.
      This is the default width and player. If the video is larger than 320
      in width, it will use the 450x340 player.

      About vPIP
      ----------
      vPIP (video Playing In Place) dynamically embeds a link video after
      the viewer clicks on the link.

      Web pages load quickly with just image and text links. Then when the
      viewer clicks one of the links, it's replaced with the video. Clicking
      on another link closes the prior video and opens the new one.

      The supported video (and audio) formats are:

      * Quicktime
      o .mov
      o .mp4
      o .mp3 (audio)
      o .smi or .smil
      o .3gp
      * Windows Media
      o .avi
      o .wmv
      o .asf
      o .wma (audio)
      * Flash
      o .swf
      o .flv

      ;),

      Enric
      -===-
      http://www.cirne.com
      http://www.cinegage.com
    • CarLBanks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
        Sweet! I'm upgrading at once!

        --
        http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com
      • David Meade
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          wooo I can't wait to try it out!

          I'm not an HTML newbie, but prefer the auto-javascript rewrite idea
          because it will work on old posts without going back and editing them,
          and leaves 'pure' links should I move to a different system in the
          future.

          http://www.DavidMeade.com
        • Enric
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
            Cool, hadn't that of that scenario (leaving pure links.)

            ;),

            Enric

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Meade" <meade.dave@...>