Re: copyright - attribution

  • Gromik Tohoku
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
      sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly does "giving
      proper attribution" mean when dealing with a film?

      Does that mean including the source at the end of the
      film?

      Some state "feed back to the artist"? is that the same
      as above?

      Not sure on this one.

      Thanks,
      Nicolas

      --------------------
      Gromik Nicolas
      Tohoku University
      Sendai, Japan
      fax=81-22-7647
      ====================
      http://www.filmedworld.com/page.php?3
      http://nag-productions.blip.tv/?
      http://sendai-city-tourism-tohoku-university.blip.tv/

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
        > sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly does "giving
        > proper attribution" mean when dealing with a film?
        > Does that mean including the source at the end of the
        > film?
        > Some state "feed back to the artist"? is that the same
        > as above?
        > Not sure on this one.

        here's the exact wording:
        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
        "Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
        the author or licensor. "

        So its confusing in the vlogging context when an aggregator site pulls
        videos from a feed...and loses connection with the creator. How will
        anyone know what kind of attribution you want?
        Lucas Gonze feels like its hopeless and futile to worry about any of
        this. Just make it...and put it out there.

        I still feel like its important we at least try to use Creative
        Commons effectively.
        we are at such an early stage...its just a matter of education and
        creating habits with online video.
        we dont need to be dummies like the MPAA/RIAA...but it's healthy to
        build respect and awareness for one another.

        Right now...I think the best thing to do is put your CC license IN your video.
        As Lucas says, expect your video to show up anywhere.
        if your CC license is IN your video, then it goes everywhere.

        Pick your license:
        http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/meet-the-licenses
        Then we need to start making crazy, custom videos for them to add to our videos.

        Here I am....
        http://jaydedman.com
      • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
          Den 01.02.2007 kl. 06:30 skrev Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...>:

          > here's the exact wording:
          > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
          > "Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
          > the author or licensor. "

          No, Jay. The human-readable version is watered down to the point where it
          doesn't make any sense. The exact wording is in the actual license at
          "If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
          digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works,
          You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide,
          reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the
          Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if
          the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties
          (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in
          Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable
          means, the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if
          supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource
          Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the
          Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing
          information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit
          identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French
          translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on
          original Work by Original Author"). Such credit may be implemented in any
          reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative
          Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any
          other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as
          prominent as such other comparable authorship credit."

          Recap: Author's name, Title of the work, URL (to the extent reasonably
          practicable) and some extra stuff for derrivative works.

          --
          Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
            Thanks for the clarification. I find the wording of that to be a bit
            odd though - I read it as saying that the stuff labelled (ii) is only
            applicable if you mention the 3rd parties to be attributed in your
            copyright notice? And that the requirement to include a URL is only
            valid if that URI contains the license info for the work?

            Cheers

            Steve Elbows

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
              Den 01.02.2007 kl. 09:54 skrev Steve Watkins <steve@...>:

              > Thanks for the clarification. I find the wording of that to be a bit
              > odd though - I read it as saying that the stuff labelled (ii) is only
              > applicable if you mention the 3rd parties to be attributed in your
              > copyright notice?

              The stuff marked (ii) only goes to the first semi-colon. It's a small part
              that covers sponsors and the like. When a college professor writes a paper
              he could require sharers to mention his university as a part of the
              attribution. No big deal.

              > And that the requirement to include a URL is only
              > valid if that URI contains the license info for the work?

              Yes, of course. Makes sense to me. Otherwise you have a dead-end.

              --
              Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                Thanks, I got it totally wrong, cheers for the clarification.

                Maybe I will now realise that my fixation with trying to understand
                all the wording and small detail of these licenses is not very useful
                compared to Jay and otehrs suggestions to do something.

                If I manage to sort my dysfunctional self out and do some creative
                commons animations, do people want them in high res or 320x240?

                Is there a need for any resources that would be a toolkit for creating
                your own animations? Like are all the creative commons smbols already
                available in formats that could be used as masks in video editing
                software and suchlike?

                Is there a good guideline for how many seconds people want cc
                animations to be?

                Are people going to try to do animations for most different license
                types, or just the most commons few?

                Am I right to think we do need to put the creative commons version
                number in the animation for it to be valid?

                Has anybody outside the US condiered the international angle? There
                seem to be regionalised versions of creative commons licenses for
                quite a few countries now, Ive no idea how much this matters, and I
                imagine most US-based hosting services will understandably not be
                catering for every permutation in a hurry?

                There I go, complicating things again with questions, oops

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
                  > No, Jay. The human-readable version is watered down to the point where it
                  > doesn't make any sense. The exact wording is in the actual license at
                  so is the human readable license not true?