Mooninites take over Boston

  • taulpaulmpls
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
      http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html

      Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
      character shuts down a bridge?

      *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
      my comprehension.
    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
        what happen? somebody set up us the bomb.

        whenever i think it's getting crazy and paranoid in england,
        something brilliant happens in america to make me feel ok again.

        you have no chance to survive make your time!

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
          On a serious note, the guys who set up the boards for Turner have
          been charged and could face up to five years in prison.

          From CNN: "Peter Berdovsky, 27, a freelance video artist from
          Arlington, Massachusetts, and Sean Stevens, 28, were facing charges
          of placing a hoax device in a way that results in panic, as well as
          one count of disorderly conduct, said Massachusetts Attorney General
          Martha Coakley. The hoax charge is a felony, she said. Both men were
          arrested Wednesday evening.

          According to his Web site, Berdovsky is a graduate of the
          Massachusetts College of Art and a founding member of a video artists
          group called Glitch.

          Although these guys were on a paid guerilla marketing campaign for
          Turner, it seems to be more frequent that performers, artists and
          protesters over here in the UK are falling foul of "terrorism" laws
          and getting criminal records for bullshit reasons. Citizen
          journalists and video artists, take care... All your freedom are
          belong to us.

          Rupert
          http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/fatgirlinohio

          On 1 Feb 2007, at 00:50, Rupert wrote:

          what happen? somebody set up us the bomb.

          whenever i think it's getting crazy and paranoid in england,
          something brilliant happens in america to make me feel ok again.

          you have no chance to survive make your time!

          On 1 Feb 2007, at 00:33, taulpaulmpls wrote:

          http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html

          Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
          character shuts down a bridge?

          *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
          my comprehension.

        • Jan McLaughlin
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
            fear 24/7

            oh boy

            i don't mind fear so much, but that we do irrational things when afraid

            On 2/1/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

            > On a serious note, the guys who set up the boards for Turner have
            > been charged and could face up to five years in prison.
            >
            > From CNN: "Peter Berdovsky, 27, a freelance video artist from
            > Arlington, Massachusetts, and Sean Stevens, 28, were facing charges
            > of placing a hoax device in a way that results in panic, as well as
            > one count of disorderly conduct, said Massachusetts Attorney General
            > Martha Coakley. The hoax charge is a felony, she said. Both men were
            > arrested Wednesday evening.
            >
            > According to his Web site, Berdovsky is a graduate of the
            > Massachusetts College of Art and a founding member of a video artists
            > group called Glitch.
            >
            > Although these guys were on a paid guerilla marketing campaign for
            > Turner, it seems to be more frequent that performers, artists and
            > protesters over here in the UK are falling foul of "terrorism" laws
            > and getting criminal records for bullshit reasons. Citizen
            > journalists and video artists, take care... All your freedom are
            > belong to us.
            >
            > Rupert
            > http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
            > http://feeds.feedburner.com/fatgirlinohio
            >

            > On 1 Feb 2007, at 00:50, Rupert wrote:
            >
            > what happen? somebody set up us the bomb.
            >
            > whenever i think it's getting crazy and paranoid in england,
            > something brilliant happens in america to make me feel ok again.
            >
            > you have no chance to survive make your time!
            >

            > On 1 Feb 2007, at 00:33, taulpaulmpls wrote:
            >
            > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
            >
            > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
            > character shuts down a bridge?
            >
            > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
            > my comprehension.

            The Faux Press - better than real
            http://fauxpress.blogspot.com

          • Tom Gosse
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
              Welcome to the real world of post 9/11. There are real bad guys out there
              who would like nothing better than to kill you. And they are working at
              accomplishing that goal.

              If you lived in London, Madrid or Israel where real terrorists plant real
              bombs in public places and kill real people you wouldn't roll your eyes.
              What the fuck do you think a terrorist is going to do? Write "real bomb" on
              a device? They try to disguise and make them look like innocent devices so
              as to fool their victims. The first responders have to assume that a
              suspicious device is in fact a dangerous device. I'd rather too much
              response than too little.

              These clueless idiots at Cartoon Network and the advertising agency planted
              these things on the underside of bridges and highways, next to hospitals and
              subways entrances, and in public areas where people congregate. Just the
              kind of places a terrorist would bomb. Did it ever occur to them that it
              might be a good idea to tell the city officials about this ahead of time?

              If I lived in one of the other nine cities that were subject to this
              advertising campaign I wouldn't be too smug. If I was a terrorist I'd be
              looking at them as potential targets where the citizens are complacent, and
              on one is going to report suspicious packages.

              Once again, welcome to the real world.

              Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
              email: hermit@...
              blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
              _____

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                OH please!
                I regularly work in London, my son was half a mile
                from the Aldgate bomb, the whole family passes through
                London on a regular basis & I know two things:
                (1) I'd rather have my civil liberties than the
                "protection" of the authorities, UK or US
                (2) When there *are* problems I know just who to blame
                - Bush & Blair.
                Also it might be considered a tad insensitive to
                accuse folk in the States , who after all lost some
                three thousand in 2001, of not living in the real
                world...
                <These clueless idiots>
                Freedom means freedom to be a dickhead too...
                michael

              • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Please keep it civil, guys.

                  - Andreas

                  --
                  Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Szpakowski <szpako@...>
                    wrote:

                    > OH please!
                    > I regularly work in London, my son was half a mile
                    > from the Aldgate bomb, the whole family passes through
                    > London on a regular basis & I know two things:
                    > (1) I'd rather have my civil liberties than the
                    > "protection" of the authorities, UK or US
                    > (2) When there *are* problems I know just who to blame
                    > - Bush & Blair.
                    > Also it might be considered a tad insensitive to
                    > accuse folk in the States , who after all lost some
                    > three thousand in 2001, of not living in the real
                    > world...
                    > <These clueless idiots>
                    > Freedom means freedom to be a dickhead too...
                    > michael
                    > --- Tom Gosse <hermit@...> wrote:

                    Before anybody else complains about your comments, I'm going to
                    champion them.

                    If you dont think that PR has spun this event way out of control on
                    someones orders then you are a fool.

                    So they screwed up, big deal it happens.

                    Why do we live in a world where we are so freaked out by the
                    possibility that they could have been a bomb. That is the real
                    question.

                    Cheers,
                    Dean
                  • Heath
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gosse" <hermit@...> wrote:

                      > Welcome to the real world of post 9/11. There are real bad guys
                      >out there
                      > who would like nothing better than to kill you. And they are
                      working >at
                      > accomplishing that goal.
                      >
                      > Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
                      > email: hermit@...
                      > blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
                      > _____

                      Guess what, Pre 9/11 there were real bad guys who wanted nothing
                      more than to kill people, as a matter of fact they were quite
                      successful at it.....

                      It's how we choose to deal with things, adversity, that is what will
                      define us, there will always be someone out there who wants to do
                      harm for whatever reason, hate is taught and bred and it's fueled by
                      ignorance.....

                      Personaly I don't want to live in fear or in a world fueled by such,
                      doesn't mean I bury my head in the sand, I don't I am keenly aware,
                      being a vet and all, but sometimes you just need a dose of commen
                      sense which seems to have been lacking from everyone involved in this
                      promo gone bad......

                      Heath
                      http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com
                    • Rupert
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                        This is all getting way OT, but yeah - my tube station - Shepherds
                        Bush, 1/2 mile away - was one of those chosen by the failed 21st July
                        05 bombers who got their explosive mix wrong and are currently on
                        trial. My regular route to work was bombed on 7/7 at the exact time
                        I would have travelled, but I was working from home that day. I post
                        videos on those things, when they happened, but the posts got lost
                        when I took the site down. In both cases, I wouldn't have spotted
                        the rucksack bombs - they didn't have flashing cartoons on them, for
                        some reason.

                        In London and the mainland UK we had IRA bombers - real regular
                        terrorists who actually bombed things - for decades. They bombed
                        everywhere - on buses, in pubs, in stores, malls, offices. Hundreds
                        of people were killed. It was scary walking around London in the
                        middle of a campaign. But we didn't let them shut us down. (Even
                        after 7/7, the same.) And we applied common sense when we saw
                        suspicious packages. Those flashing light boxes in Boston - did you
                        SEE them?? - were OBVIOUSLY not bombs. If you panic and shut down
                        cities because people in charge are too scared to use their judgment
                        and instead press SHUT DOWN at the first sign of something odd, THE
                        TERRORISTS WIN. They've inspired terror. "That's why they call them
                        terrorists, Kent." Oh, and innocent people get jailed
                        unnecessarily. Or killed, which is what happened to Jean Charles de
                        Menezes, an innocent Brazilian shot 8 times in the head by a
                        policeman standing on his chest on 21st July. Total, unthinking,
                        kneejerk reactions give fearful people the *illusion* of safety and
                        in return you sacrifice a large part of your liberty and quality of
                        life. Which is, as George and Tony keep telling us, what They want.

                        Be alert, not afraid. That's the key.

                        --- Tom Gosse <hermit@...> wrote:

                        > Welcome to the real world of post 9/11. There are
                        > real bad guys out there
                        > who would like nothing better than to kill you. And
                        > they are working at
                        > accomplishing that goal.
                        >
                        > If you lived in London, Madrid or Israel where real
                        > terrorists plant real
                        > bombs in public places and kill real people you
                        > wouldn't roll your eyes.
                        > What the fuck do you think a terrorist is going to
                        > do? Write "real bomb" on
                        > a device? They try to disguise and make them look
                        > like innocent devices so
                        > as to fool their victims. The first responders have
                        > to assume that a
                        > suspicious device is in fact a dangerous device.
                        > I'd rather too much
                        > response than too little.
                        >
                        > These clueless idiots at Cartoon Network and the
                        > advertising agency planted
                        > these things on the underside of bridges and
                        > highways, next to hospitals and
                        > subways entrances, and in public areas where people
                        > congregate. Just the
                        > kind of places a terrorist would bomb. Did it ever
                        > occur to them that it
                        > might be a good idea to tell the city officials
                        > about this ahead of time?
                        >
                        > If I lived in one of the other nine cities that were
                        > subject to this
                        > advertising campaign I wouldn't be too smug. If I
                        > was a terrorist I'd be
                        > looking at them as potential targets where the
                        > citizens are complacent, and
                        > on one is going to report suspicious packages.
                        >
                        > Once again, welcome to the real world.
                        >

                        > Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
                        > email: hermit@...
                        > blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
                        > _____

                      • David
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                          This kind of thing always upsets me. The two young men who planted
                          those toys should have questioned their instructions. The people who
                          gave them those instructions should have questioned their
                          instructions and on up the chain of command. There must be a couple
                          of dozen people (upwards of 100, potentially) who were involved in
                          the design and implementation of that unfortunate marketing ploy.
                          It's upsetting to me that those young men have been hauled into court
                          for their stupidity but the exec at Turner and the ad Exec who
                          pitched the idea are not in court and they bear more responsibility
                          having given the order to go ahead and execute the idiocy. A
                          significant problem exists in society when responsibility and
                          authority aren't coequal. If I have the authority to order an action
                          I should also be responsible if that action goes horribly wrong. But
                          that happens less and less. We've got leaders who say, "I bear
                          responsibility" and then they pay no price when, on their authority,
                          damage is done. The executive at Turner responsible for that
                          campaign should be fired. He (or she) won't be. The executive at
                          the ad company should be fired. He won't be. And I'll bet you they
                          make a lot of money and walk around self satisfied with their
                          accomplishments and look good in suits. And they're fools.

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@...> wrote:

                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gosse" <hermit@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Welcome to the real world of post 9/11. There are real bad guys
                          > >out there
                          > > who would like nothing better than to kill you. And they are
                          > working >at
                          > > accomplishing that goal.
                          > >
                          > > Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
                          > > email: hermit@
                          > > blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
                          > > _____
                          > >

                          > Guess what, Pre 9/11 there were real bad guys who wanted nothing
                          > more than to kill people, as a matter of fact they were quite
                          > successful at it.....
                          >
                          > It's how we choose to deal with things, adversity, that is what
                          will
                          > define us, there will always be someone out there who wants to do
                          > harm for whatever reason, hate is taught and bred and it's fueled
                          by
                          > ignorance.....
                          >
                          > Personaly I don't want to live in fear or in a world fueled by
                          such,
                          > doesn't mean I bury my head in the sand, I don't I am keenly aware,
                          > being a vet and all, but sometimes you just need a dose of commen
                          > sense which seems to have been lacking from everyone involved in
                          this
                          > promo gone bad......
                          >
                          > Heath
                          > http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

                        • missbhavens1969
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                            Anybody care to comment that the CNN coverage of this incident had
                            footer screentext declaring "Suspicious Package Found Earlier Was
                            Detonated".

                            Well, that's pretty messed up right there, because, ummm, it was a
                            Lite-Brite and not a bomb.

                            Perhaps that most venerated news service really meant "Suspicious
                            Lite-Brite Found Earlier Was Unplugged?".

                            Bekah

                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taulpaulmpls"
                            <taulpaulmpls@...> wrote:

                            > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
                            >
                            > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
                            > character shuts down a bridge?
                            >
                            > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
                            > my comprehension.

                          • Steve Watkins
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                              I saw footage which showed them using bomb disposal thing to blow up
                              one of the devices. Guess they blew up first one they looked at as
                              added precaution, but yeah they detonated something, it didnt detonate
                              itself. I think you are right to draw attention to the language used
                              with this sort of coverage, what can I say, Im not enjoying the style
                              of this millenium so far, can I have a refund please?

                              Someone was talking about the people who are in legal trouble over
                              this, from what I understand the company doing it was one of those
                              'guerrilla marketing' types that is used to doing non-traditional
                              marketing with strange things in strange places.

                              Ruperts post was great so I dont feel the need to rant much more.
                              Suspicious packages hasnt been the focus of our attention in the UK in
                              this terror era, it was so much a part of the last one, but this time
                              suicide bombers or poison plots seem to have been the main fodcus of
                              attention. Our media has been in terror mode in recent days too, over
                              arrests of people here who, from what Ive heard, are suspected of
                              planning to kidnap a british muslin soldier and murder him.

                              Unlike Rupert I dont live in London or any big city, but a town, so my
                              exposure to exploding threats is more limited. The closest I get to
                              the war on terror is that I live in a part of town that suffers from
                              some underlying racial tension between whites and asians, many of whom
                              are Muslims. The mosque is just down the road from my house, and I
                              have no problems whatsoever with the diverse community that surrounds
                              me, I like it, though in truth I am rather disconnected from it all.
                              The problem is that there seems to be enough other people who are
                              bothered, to cause problems every once in a while. Its usually young
                              people, bored youths messing with eachother. But once every few years
                              in recent times, its boiled over along racial lines, resulting in lots
                              of people fighting on the streets in big gangs, along with occasional
                              random beatings. I do not welcome the sound of the police helicopter.
                              And I feel rather powerless to do anything meaningful to slow this
                              terrible tide. I usually rant if someone says racist stuff, but Im
                              never sure what it does, does it make them any less racist or just
                              stop them saying such things in my presence?

                              So anyway every time there is an over-reaction in the 'war on terror',
                              my heart sinks as it adds fuel to some nasty fire of racism that
                              tragically smoulders in the UK. Hopefully it will never come to
                              anything really tragic, no matter how much certain sectors of the
                              press really try to stoke the fire, but Ive no way to know.

                              Video images of many kinds have a lot of catching up to do if they are
                              to play a positive role in the war on terror - though we usually dont
                              like to dwell too long on comparisons of the horrors of death on video
                              to videoblogging, events ranging from saddams hanging to various
                              beheadings, troops getting killed or doing wrong things in Iraq, to
                              9/11 itself, have been central elements of the era.

                              Cheers

                              Steve Elbows

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
                              <missbhavens1969@...> wrote:

                              > Anybody care to comment that the CNN coverage of this incident had
                              > footer screentext declaring "Suspicious Package Found Earlier Was
                              > Detonated".
                              >
                              > Well, that's pretty messed up right there, because, ummm, it was a
                              > Lite-Brite and not a bomb.
                              >
                              > Perhaps that most venerated news service really meant "Suspicious
                              > Lite-Brite Found Earlier Was Unplugged?".
                              >

                              > Bekah
                              >

                              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taulpaulmpls"
                              > <taulpaulmpls@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html
                              > >
                              > > Anybody care to comment on the state of our nation, when a Adult Swim
                              > > character shuts down a bridge?
                              > >
                              > > *eyes roll* How these lightboards were mistaken for bombs, is beyond
                              > > my comprehension.

                            • Jeffrey Taylor
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                Trust me, Tom. We are rolling our eyes in Europe, where suspected
                                bombs are diffused all the time (I've watched it happen in Paris) and
                                we know better than to give a non-situation more attention than it
                                deserves and just move on. Like real grownups.

                                Can we get back to vlogging now?

                                I just posted my video the Eiffel Tower turning its lights off (and
                                me turning mine off) tonight to give the earth a rest.

                                http://thegayexpat.com

                              • J. Rhett Aultman
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                  Thank you.

                                  This is nothing but your typical "mystery package detonated, for safety's
                                  sake" story, which happens somewhere in the world every day. Because it's
                                  Aqua Teen Hunger Force, though, and that's all "indie" and "cool", and
                                  because it used "guerilla marketing", which is supposed to be "cool", and
                                  because Lite Brite is retro and thus "cool", people have turned this in to
                                  nonsense that it is not.

                                  This is just a basic story of some dumbasses putting things where they
                                  don't belong and the cops having to diffuse/detonate them. Nothing more.

                                  --
                                  Rhett.
                                  http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime

                                • Rupert
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                    yes, but it's also the story of a major world city being put on red
                                    alert (which could have been avoided), and also the story of some
                                    people who - however stupid - may go to jail for a long time
                                    unnecessarily for a guerilla marketing & video stunt, which is how
                                    all this got started. Despite all my good words in the last email,
                                    the reason people in Europe might roll their eyes is that it seems
                                    like a uniquely American response. So really it's the story of a
                                    political/societal response to the threat of terrorism, which is for
                                    another group and which I keep on prolonging here. sorry. goodnight.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                      I sincerely doubt the charges that end up sticking on these guys will be
                                      all that strong, but the truth of the matter is that they did disrupt the
                                      public, and disrupting the public is a crime. Yes, the authorities
                                      probably overreacted, but planting strange devices in public places, some
                                      of them depicting what is, by American standards, an obscene gesture, for
                                      the sake of advertising a corporate television show...yeah, that's a
                                      crime. There's a reason that the public has a process of filing permits
                                      for use of public space, and it's to keep nonsense like this from
                                      happening in the first place.

                                      I mean, if I have to file a permit so that I can use a public beach for my
                                      wedding ceremony...or if I have to file a permit so I can shoot a short on
                                      public land, then it stands to reason that I can't go throwing Lite Brites
                                      around to advertise a product, either.

                                      So, red alert...not necessary...but this was BAD "guerilla marketing", and
                                      it was a public nuisance.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                        The "man on the street" defense of their actions seems hauntingly
                                        stupid ... "they were just doing their jobs, following orders."

                                        I want to see interviews with executives who approved this debacle.
                                        That would be a laugh riot.

                                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <wlight@...>

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                          I'd heard that the people who pulled this stunt were never actually
                                          ordered to, but were instead hired on as consultants and told to "be
                                          creative". I can't find a source for that, though.

                                          --
                                          Rhett.
                                          http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime

                                          > The "man on the street" defense of their actions seems hauntingly
                                          > stupid ... "they were just doing their jobs, following orders."
                                          >
                                          > I want to see interviews with executives who approved this debacle.
                                          > That would be a laugh riot.
                                          >
                                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <wlight@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> I sincerely doubt the charges that end up sticking on these guys
                                          > will be
                                          >> all that strong, but the truth of the matter is that they did
                                          > disrupt the
                                          >> public, and disrupting the public is a crime. Yes, the authorities
                                          >> probably overreacted, but planting strange devices in public
                                          > places, some [...]
                                        • Paul Knight
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                            I am sure the al queda terrorists are down hearted right now and
                                            thinking, " hey why didn't we think of that" It's just spin, it's
                                            just fear. Something to get the rest of the world laughing at the
                                            reactionary US. To be sure Cartoon Networt Work should have known
                                            better but at the same time, Smiley faces!!! Come now. This must
                                            have been a pretty slow news week.

                                            Boston is a wonderful city, but it seems there is too much of this
                                            kinda thing about, there was an aledged plot to kidnap a muslim
                                            Britsih soldier returned from bagdad, to torture and be head him, ken
                                            bigley style here in the UK just recently, I wonder if these two are
                                            closely related, with spin. I bloody wonder.

                                            Shake in fear if you want to. But I am telling you, if this Nazism
                                            continues in the west, what hope have we all got. See thru the lies,
                                            please people, there is nothing to be afraid of.

                                            Paul Knight