Re: [videoblogging] Re: copyright

  • Peter Leppik
    Message 1 of 50 , Jan 31, 2007
      You could, at least in theory, buy an ASCAP license. ASCAP is the
      organization which grants blanket music licenses to radio stations,
      night clubs, etc. This would allow you to legally use just about any
      recording in your podcast or vlog.

      The only problem is that ASCAP is really intended for revenue-
      generating businesses, and their minimum license is $288/year for
      online use. That's a bit pricey for most hobbyists worried about the
      miniscule odds of a lawsuit.

      -Peter

      On Jan 31, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Ron Watson wrote:

      > Ryanne,
      >
      > What terms are you claiming under mangatune?
      >
      > I hope you're not using the 'commercial but poor' classification as
      > your basis for that usage. The last time I went to look for new music
      > at mangatune, there was a clarification on that classification.
      >
      > I've been cutting my own music as of late.
      >
      > I really must get better at not allowing music to play in the
      > background in our pieces. It is so hard though. We always have
      > music on.
      >
      > Then of course there is the issue of capturing someone's discdog
      > routine on video and posting it. One part history and capturing a
      > public event and one part copyright. I'd like to think that the
      > interests of people (history and public venue) would outweigh the
      > interests of profit (copyright), but we all know what's important in
      > our society.
      >
      > I am going to be checking out ccmixter. Maybe I can run into Lucas
      > there and apologize for the verbal beating i gave him before I
      > understood where he was going (I really got hosed on that email lag -
      > totally out of context 24 hours later...).
      >
      > ron
      >
      > On Jan 31, 2007, at 2:30 AM, Deirdre Straughan wrote:
      >
      > > I've used Magnatune, giving credit as they require. But I get very
      > > tired of
      > > the process of hunting for the right soundtrack.
      > >
      > > --
      > > best regards,
      > > Deirdré Straughan
      > >
      > > www.beginningwithi.com (personal)
      > > www.tvblob.com (work)

      _____
      Peter U. Leppik
      CEO
      Vocal Laboratories Inc.
      pleppik@...

    • Jan McLaughlin
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 5, 2007
        The biggest problem with all this is if and when a vlogger who pirates
        decides to take the leap into more mainstream / oldstream distribution,
        rights (or lack thereof) to your materials come under intense scrutiny. Much
        of my best work is eliminated from the running because of copyright
        infringement. And that's somehow just the way I like it. Still, I cut myself
        off from that wider audience by virtue of the piracy.

        Sometimes - not often - it makes my heart / soul hurt.

        Jan