Re: A Wii little problem

  • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taulpaulmpls"
      <taulpaulmpls@...> wrote:

      > It's a toughy for me as well. You can't use the On2 codec unless it's
      > viewed with the Flash 8 or 9 player, and the sorenson codec for flash
      > 7 doesn't have the same quality output. If you're looking for more
      > penetration though, you'll want to use the sorenson codec...as flash
      > player lite (mobile) is only for flash 7 and below.

      ON2 Flix Pro allows you to encode to Flash 7 (MX) and even lower, but
      why would you want to? Flash 8 and 9 players are pretty much universal
      now. My user stats show a penetration of around 95% in Flash 8 or 9.
      The quality of streaming at a bitrate of 500 kbs is pretty good in
      Flash 8.

      Stan Hirson
      http://hestakaup.com
    • Mike Hudack
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
        Well, this is the conundrum. Flash 8 VP6 video isn't compatible with
        the Wii, with Flash Mobile or older PowerPC-based Macs (it stutters).
        On the other hand, Flash 7 video doesn't look all that hot compared to
        Flash 8. Nothing is ever easy.

      • Enric
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
          It's too bad it appears that most mobile is one or two steps behind in
          browser and video tech.

          -- Enric

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Hudack" <mike@...> wrote:

          > Well, this is the conundrum. Flash 8 VP6 video isn't compatible with
          > the Wii, with Flash Mobile or older PowerPC-based Macs (it stutters).
          > On the other hand, Flash 7 video doesn't look all that hot compared to
          > Flash 8. Nothing is ever easy.

        • J. Rhett Aultman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
            Well, we only have so much we can work with, and it's worth remembering
            that most mobile devices are intended to serve other purposes first and be
            browsers and video players second. If the goal was just to make a great
            mobile browser and video player, it'd be easier, but hardware, battery
            power, etc, has to be dedicated to other purposes on the device (like
            maintaining a connection to a cellular network, etc), and that means
            constantly being between a rock and a hard place on the design phase.

            --
            Rhett.
            http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime