Embedded player question

  • Mark Westin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi folks -

      I'm more of a content guy than a tech guy, so I hope some of you with
      tech expertise can explain something to me. I'm working on building a
      vlog for a friend, trying to write the code myself and learn by doing.
      We're trying to figure out a player that can be embedded on other
      people's sites, as opposed to just putting a link or a screen capture
      image there.

      I use blip now, and I know we could also go with YouTube or any number
      of others, but then when people watch the videos, the site whose
      player it is gets credit for the traffic. We'd like to be able to get
      the traffic when people watch our video, wherever it ends up.

      I also know bandwidth will get expensive, but put that part aside for
      the moment. Is it possible within reasonable time and expense to
      build an embedded player that brings the traffic back to my site, no
      matter where the player ends up?

      (and as I said, I'm still not much of a tech guy, so if I've phrased
      anything incorrectly, please let me know and I won't be
      offended.)
      Thanks,
      Mark
    • Steve Garfield
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        All your plays are recorded over on blip so that no matter where your
        video is sitting, the playing of it gets counted.

        Brightcove also has embedded players that track plays...

        If you want your website to get hits, you need to have the viewer
        visit the site...

        I think that the days of counting website hits is going away, and the
        future lies in counting the number of times the media is watched no
        matter where it sits.

        Also, I'm hoping that we get beyond CMP or cost per 1,000
        impressions, and are able to move toward the value of sponsorship for
        a targeted audience.

        That's where the real advertiser value is in web video vs. blasting
        out an ad to thousands of people who don't care to see it.

        --Steve

        On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Mark Westin wrote:

        > Hi folks -
        >
        > I'm more of a content guy than a tech guy, so I hope some of you with
        > tech expertise can explain something to me. I'm working on building a
        > vlog for a friend, trying to write the code myself and learn by doing.
        > We're trying to figure out a player that can be embedded on other
        > people's sites, as opposed to just putting a link or a screen capture
        > image there.
        >
        > I use blip now, and I know we could also go with YouTube or any number
        > of others, but then when people watch the videos, the site whose
        > player it is gets credit for the traffic. We'd like to be able to get
        > the traffic when people watch our video, wherever it ends up.
        >
        > I also know bandwidth will get expensive, but put that part aside for
        > the moment. Is it possible within reasonable time and expense to
        > build an embedded player that brings the traffic back to my site, no
        > matter where the player ends up?
        >
        > (and as I said, I'm still not much of a tech guy, so if I've phrased
        > anything incorrectly, please let me know and I won't be
        > offended.)
        > Thanks,
        > Mark

        Steve Garfield
        http://SteveGarfield.com
      • Nerissa (TheVideoQueen)
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
          I use Blip.tv combined with http://www.freevideocoding.com to post my videos on various projects. Blip.tv provides free video hosting and tracks views (as Steve pointed out).

          Blip.tv also provides direct links to the videos. A direct link to your video allows you to use http://www.freevideocoding.com to make html for you in any way shape or form you want.

          I love using Blip.tv's direct .flv link and http://www.freevideocoding.com together because FVC has jeron Flash player built into code so your viewers get easy viewability just like most video hosts provide.

          Nerissa

          9a. Embedded player question
          Posted by: "Mark Westin" throbbingcow@... throbbingcow

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
            I use blip already and crosspost to my other blog sites from there. I
            think it works great.

            I know they track views but, the issue I'm working on is getting
            credit for the traffic. Because in starting to launch my next site
            I've met various sponsor/advertising types and they all tell me that
            in order to attract their interest I have to document traffic to my
            actual content (not just to how many views my content gets on blip,
            YouTube or anywhere else). Not really sure what the distinction is,
            but it's apparently important to them.

            So what I'm looking to find or build is my own embedded player that
            measures traffic to my servers.

            Freevideocoding looks cool and I will check it out further for my
            personal use.
            Thanks,
            MW

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Nerissa \(TheVideoQueen\)"