I have an Idea........

  • Heath
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      Been thinking the last few days about the John Edwards conversation
      we had. Particluarly about the effect of web video and issues and I
      thought what if we create a place on the web where people can voice
      what issues are important to them. Canidates have focus groups and
      studies and so on but all to often it comes down to sound bites on
      the news or news programs with their "talking heads".

      I don't want it to be a "us" vs "them" thing, democrat vs Repulician
      thing, I just want ordinary people talking about the very real issues
      that effect them in their daily lives, taxes, health care, education,
      etc. We can create a website where people can submit videos or
      questions or comments. And these can all be directed to whomever is
      running for office, not just one canidate but all of them.

      We would need some MSM support or exposure to really make a
      differance but I think this is something we can do, I say we because
      there is no way I can do it all by myself, sure I can set up a
      Blogger account, sure I can add videos myself, but I want voices from
      accross America and in some cases from abroad. We are a global
      world, policy that China makes affects us, and vise/versa so lets
      have a dialogue, a real dialogue.

      We often talk about in this group the power of vlogging about
      empowering the everyday person, about taking it out of the hands of
      the "media", about each person having a voice. Well this could be
      that opportunity. I'm not politcal, I don't like dicussing politics,
      it makes my head hurt and some of you may feel the same way but I
      don't see this as political, I see it as an opportunity to give a
      voice to someone who is voiceless and an opportunity for us to let
      our "leaders" know what is really important to us. Not as
      Republicans or Democrats, or as independents but as Americans, and as
      human beings.

      Maybe it will do nothing, maybe no one will care or listen but what
      if they do?

      So that is my idea, if anyone thinks it is worthwile let me know and
      maybe we can really make this a goverment for the people by the
      people.

      Heath Parks
      http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

      PS, I am not saying that we should try and make "policy" or that
      everything will be "perfect" and we can all live together in harameny
      but if we can make the next election about the issues, the real
      issues that effect us and are going to effect us, (The fact that
      social securtiy will colaspe if we don't do something, one example)
      maybe someone will listen. And again I don't want a "politcal"
      thing, it's not about the "liberal" democrats or the "conservitive"
      Repulicans, it's about us, all of us...
    • Gena
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
        I don't see this as political. I see this as a responsibility that all
        citizens have about the country. Now part of that responsibility is
        participation in our local, state and federal governments.

        This responsibility has been systematically stripped away by
        PACS/special interest groups, those running for office that have
        offended one group or another and by the complexity of the issues.
        This isn't easy stuff.

        So anything that fosters an honest dialog I'm all for it. I do not
        believe M$M has any interest in making this conversation happen. Not
        unless they can derive a dollar value. So far they only focus on the
        RepDems to the exclusion of other alternatives.

        Even if you accept the premise that FOX News speaks to the
        conservative audience it only focuses on a particular segment of
        conservative voices. There is a spectrum of conservative thought that
        is not heard on that channel. The same could be said of NPR and the
        diversity of liberal ideas and concepts.

        So, yeah if this happens then a grass roots network would have to
        reach out to a diverse population. I think it can be done. I know it
        can be done.

        One person? No, I do think it would have be a networking of interested
        folks, some of which do not belong to this group. But if it was
        explained to them and we show them what to do they would take up
        cameras to record.

        Now if there was a hook up with public access stations and maybe
        non-NPR college radio stations we could do something beyond our
        separate current reaches. Vlogging and vloggers can help.

        I see this as more possible than impossible.

        Gena

        http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
        http://pcclibtech.blogspot.com
        http://voxmedia.org/wiki/Video