Re: James Brown on Democracy Now!

  • Gena
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2006
      Thanks for the link. I just added it to my tribute post on my blog.
      It was rattling, he talked specifically of how the larger companies
      destroyed the independent recording artists and companies. How radio
      stations wouldn't play his music and he sure wasn't on TV.

      How he felt that they wanted to try and control his image and his
      behavior both on and off stage. It was a stunning interview. It
      reinforces my belief that we and other must provide alternative
      content to our communities, and the world at large.

      Good stuff,

      Gena

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, WWWhatsup <joly@...> wrote:

      > There's some nice interview footage of JB and the Rev Al from 1980
      on today's
      > Democracy Now!
      > http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/29/1446218
      >
      > joly

      > WWWhatsup NYC

    • francisco_daum
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2006
        Thanks too for the link. In one of his live recordings from the 80's
        (I had this on cassette) he played so fast, tiiight, and hopped up.
        The early stuff in late 50's were jangly R&B in comparison (but even
        the jangly stuff The Rolling Stones can't get near). This
        recording I had was a truck stop cassette. Very clean incredible
        performance at a Holiday Inn somewhere in Georgia. Anyhow the
        interview is cool because it brings to light his DIY attitude and
        human side. People joke about how he led cops in car chases, shot up
        his cars, and served time for battery (Fishbone even made a song
        called Wifebeater about him). People have to listen though
        how he led his band in live recordings. Eddie Murphy made a routine
        about it but you can't deny James Brown's contribution to music.

        Francisco
        franciscodaum.blogspot.com