Re: [videoblogging] Re: MP4 verdi method on PC won't work on iPod?

  • Michael Verdi
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
      The maximum data rate for 320x240 video encoded in h.264 for iPod playback
      is 768kbps.

      From the iPod tech specs page: http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html
      Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30
      frames per sec., Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with
      AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
      file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per
      sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48
      kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to
      2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC
      audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file
      formats

      -Verdi

      On 12/2/06, Paul Knight <paul.knight7@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Richard,
      >
      > I downloaded this onto my mac, brilliant cross fades on the fluffs by
      > the way and on the whole the video was quite informative, so that's
      > why I get acid indigestion, ha! Anyway more to the point, I took the
      > file and did a 'movie to ipod' convert in quicktime pro, and it came
      > out with no loss of quality but i did come out about 0.9mb larger.
      > My method is save your original edit in a way that you can, then open
      > it up in quicktime pro and movie to ipod, now I don't know if the PC
      > version does it properly or not, but failing that, you can convert a
      > movie file in itunes so that it will play on an ipod.
      > One thing I do know is you need to keep the kbps down below 700, this
      > is on the ipod specification page at apple, a view of this might help
      > you also.
      >
      > Paul Knight
      >

      > On 2 Dec 2006, at 03:10, Richard (Show) Hall wrote:
      >
      > > Update on this ... I moved the .avi file to my mac and did the export,
      > > again, exactly according to directions (with the exception of data
      > > rate of
      > > 800) and still did not work on iPod
      > >
      > > ... Richard
      > >
      > > On 12/1/06, Richard (Show) Hall <richard@...<richard%40richardshow.com>>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > We used Michael Verdi's excellent tutorial
      > > >
      > > > http://aliveinbaghdad.pbwiki.com/AIB%20episode%20format
      > > >
      > > > for compressing mpeg4 files that will work on the iPod
      > > >
      > > > I know his method works, since I put files from alive in baghdad
      > > on my
      > > > ipod with no problem.
      > > >
      > > > However, we followed the instructions exactly ... using the combined
      > > > brains of Maureen and I, which is AT LEAST one brain total and we
      > > checked it
      > > > twice and the file does the dreaded "won't work on iPod" thing
      > > and I have to
      > > > convert it for the iPod to get it to work and that's no fun.
      > > >
      > > > There is one difference, and maybe this is it. In Michael's
      > > tutorial the
      > > > file is an uncompressed DV file from final cut pro and in our
      > > case it is an
      > > > uncompressed .avi file from Premier and we are using quicktime
      > > pro for the
      > > > PC, and Michael is using quitime pro for the mac, but all the
      > > same settings
      > > > exist on the PC version that he refers to in the tutorial in the
      > > mac version
      > > > of quicktime.
      > > >
      > > > Oh yeah, the other thing is that we set the data rate to 800
      > > rather than
      > > > 550.
      > > >
      > > > For the record, this evil file is presently on blip:
      > > >

      > > >http://blip.tv/file/get/Inspiredhealing-
      > > Episode30TheDigestiveSystemHeartburnSteroidShotsForTenn947.mp4
      > > >
      > > > Maybe someone can tell what is wrong with this file that it won't
> [...]

      http://michaelverdi.com
      http://spinxpress.com
      http://freevlog.org
      Author of Secrets Of Videoblogging - http://tinyurl.com/me4vs

    • Richard (Show) Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
        Thanks Paul!

        ... it sounds the like the data rate is the big issue ... by the way I was
        really sorry to see that your side kick was kidnapped, and sorry about the
        scuffle with the new side kick ... I'm really enjoying your work!

        ... Richard

        http://richardhhall.org
        http://richardshow.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
          well, I guess that pretty much explains that :)

          ... thanks Michael