Video Nation: Agency Finds A Majority Now Create Their Own Video, But Few Post Them

  • Deirdre Straughan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
      Video Nation: Agency Finds A Majority Now Create Their Own Video, But Few
      Post Them by Joe Mandese, Thursday, Nov 30, 2006 8:00 AM ET IN A FINDING
      THAT UNDERSCORES the potential of a vast, untapped market for user-generated
      video, new research conducted by interactive agency Sharpe Partners
      indicates that more than half (54) percent of adult Internet users currently
      create their own video offline, but only 11 percent actually upload it to
      the Internet. That margin, says Sharpe, represents a significant opportunity
      for software and system providers to help facilitate the migration of a
      burgeoning consumer generated video marketplace online. It also suggests an
      even more profound fragmentation of the video marketplace is looming than
      many industry experts may have predicted. One of the chief reasons for the
      disparity between producing and posting video is the difficulty consumers
      said they have with the process. The study, which was conducted online by
      Harris Interactive, surveyed 2,125 U.S. adults between June 29 and July 2,
      and found that more than two-thirds of those who create their own video
      found it difficult to edit their content due to the lack of
      consumer-friendly software.

      "Clearly, given easier solutions, consumers will be far more likely to edit
      their videos," said Sharpe CEO Kathy Sharpe. "And those who edit their video
      are presumably more likely to share it with others, which will expand this
      market even further."

      *Joe Mandese is Editor of MediaPost.*

      http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=51868

      --
      best regards,
      Deirdré Straughan

      www.beginningwithi.com (personal)
      www.tvblob.com (work)

    • Steve Watkins
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
        Interesting. I suspect the numbers are misleading. I doubt that all
        those people who have recorded a video, are actually interested in
        uploading it to the web. I dont expect even a third of internet users
        will become regular posters of video to the net, even if editing were
        very easy. And I know lots of people who would never dream of putting
        their own personal home videos onto the internet, never in a million
        years - eg people who place family privacy above sharing.

        I have trouble even believing that 11% of internet adults currently
        upload their video to the web, no way!

        Steve Elbows

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Deirdre Straughan"
        <deirdre.straughan@...> wrote:

        > Video Nation: Agency Finds A Majority Now Create Their Own Video,
        But Few
        > Post Them by Joe Mandese, Thursday, Nov 30, 2006 8:00 AM ET IN A
        FINDING
        > THAT UNDERSCORES the potential of a vast, untapped market for
        user-generated
        > video, new research conducted by interactive agency Sharpe Partners
        > indicates that more than half (54) percent of adult Internet users
        currently
        > create their own video offline, but only 11 percent actually upload
        it to
        > the Internet. That margin, says Sharpe, represents a significant
        opportunity
        > for software and system providers to help facilitate the migration of a
        > burgeoning consumer generated video marketplace online. It also
        suggests an
        > even more profound fragmentation of the video marketplace is looming
        than
        > many industry experts may have predicted. One of the chief reasons
        for the
        > disparity between producing and posting video is the difficulty
        consumers
        > said they have with the process. The study, which was conducted
        online by
        > Harris Interactive, surveyed 2,125 U.S. adults between June 29 and
        July 2,
        > and found that more than two-thirds of those who create their own video
        > found it difficult to edit their content due to the lack of
        > consumer-friendly software.
        >
        > "Clearly, given easier solutions, consumers will be far more likely
        to edit
        > their videos," said Sharpe CEO Kathy Sharpe. "And those who edit
        their video
        > are presumably more likely to share it with others, which will
        expand this
        > market even further."
        >
        > *Joe Mandese is Editor of MediaPost.*

        http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=51868

        > --
        > best regards,
        > Deirdré Straughan
        >
        > www.beginningwithi.com (personal)
        > www.tvblob.com (work)

      • Lisa Harper
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
          Okay... this is cool, but... what about the problem with bandwidth? Is the
          overall throughput on the global internet actually increasing and can it
          meet the demand??

          I, for one, am stuck with relatively slow speeds at home. There is no cable
          or DSL available so I don't subscribe to videoblogs, it's too great a burden
          on the pipe. Uploading video is a pain unless I find time to do it at work.
          Bittorrent has been incredibly useful. But it's akin to snail mail given
          I've downloaded some stuff that's taken weeks. Psychologically, I'm happy
          with this arrangement -- it's not supposed to be fast. Some of the folks I
          know who are relatively untech-savvy -- have the same problem with getting
          video on the web. Capturing is not a problem. Editing doesn't go beyond
          trimming and is not difficult learn. But putting clips on the web takes them
          a whole lot of time because of low bandwidths. So, in my mind, there is a
          process here that is long and difficult -- not actual steps in and of
          themselves.

          Where I see a potential gain is the ability for the device (in the field) to
          actually background transfer media to some website where users can edit,
          post, etc. So, imagine a cellphone where data transfer does not impede other
          functionality on the device. A kind of bittorrent queue. By the time the
          user is home and ready to review and edit videos, they are online and the
          effort is now relatively small to edit, delete, share, etc! Of course, you
          still have the b/w problem at home for loading.... but quite frankly, I can
          see a technological solution here, too... previews and edits could be made
          on "thinner" media (smaller data rates, frame rates) -- and even the ability
          to torrent down the user's inbox so it's resident on the home machine with
          the ability to sync edits....

          Lisa
          http://lisaharper.org